1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Salt Lake Tribune] Amid change, Yao, T-Mac tough to beat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Champ06, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Monson: Amid change, Yao, T-Mac tough to beat

By Gordon Monson
    Tribune Columnist

Article Last Updated: 11/02/2007 01:51:28 AM MDT

Do whatever you want with the Houston Rockets - switch out coaches, add in players, speed up tempo, start a new season, do the hokey-pokey, turn 'em all about - and the key to their success remains the same as it ever was.

The tandem of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

One or the other, on any given night, it doesn't matter which, that's the heart of this Rockets team. Get both at the top of their games, and forget about it.

They make up a combo that looks good on paper, in highlights, and in the regular season, just not in the playoffs.

They weren't quite enough against the Jazz in Round 1 last postseason, so the Rockets threw just about everything else into a blender to mix and, then, bolster their chances this time around.

The new brew helped, but McGrady's brilliant shooting, along with a few key baskets in the clutch by Yao, burned the Jazz to the ground, 106-95, in their home opener on Thursday night.

McGrady's scoring total: 47 points.

Had he felt like it, he might have gone for 60.

"He put them on his back," said Deron Williams. "He's a great player. It's hard to stop a player when he gets hot."

Added Ronnie Brewer: "He makes that team run."

That's pretty much all anybody needs to know about this game. McGrady nearly outscored the rest of his team. Nobody on the Jazz could stay with the 6-foot-8 guard.

"He buried us," said Jerry Sloan.

The Jazz initially tried to use a similar strategy here that worked so dramatically for them against the Rockets in April: They got physical, hit the boards, worked for open shots, and made enough of them to pull away.

At least for part of the first quarter.

Thereafter, it was like lying down in front of a road-grader.

The Jazz, who, unlike the Rockets, did not change much of anything around their two star players - Williams and Carlos Boozer - since the clubs' last meeting in Game 7, simply could not hang.

After they built a 12-point lead, they faded, making a couple of runs in the second half, but not conjuring enough to make a game of it.
    "We broke out of our offense," Williams said. "We didn't shoot too well. . . . It's not the end of the world, it's a long season. We should be fine."

That will have to come later, though.

The Rockets already are fine, apparently relishing a chance to exorcise some of the bitter feelings they experienced at the hands of the Jazz last year. Afterward, McGrady didn't want to overstate matters, but he said it had been a long time since he had won in the Jazz's building.

"We knew how tough it is to play here," he added. "I knew I needed to assert myself."

He also said: "This is a new season."

A player as gifted as McGrady can only be judged by what he does in the postseason, and since his team has never won a playoff series, we'll wait to see if things end any better for him at the end of this campaign.

New Houston coach Rick Adelman appears to have taken the shackles off the Rockets offense, and besides adding guard Mike James (15 points), power forward Luis Scola (seven points, nine boards), and Steve Francis (DNP), as well as allowing Bonzi Wells (six points) out of the slammer, he hasn't gotten in the way of his two pillars.

The Jazz, on the other hand, must yet learn to get out of their own way, get the ball more often to Boozer, who hit for 30 points, and, somewhere, somehow, find a guard, other than Williams, with some consistent range and touch.

Until then, Sloan's postgame complaint will be an oft-heard one: "We tried to win the game on the perimeter. We tried to go one-on-one. That's what hurt us."

http://origin.sltrib.com/sports/ci_7348583

2. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

the new system may good for playing with jazz, but how many nights can tmc have touch like that, yao will continue to find himself hard time at the high post, when opponents double him on high post, he's inability to dribble the ball, so turnover will be high. he can shot the ball at the long range, but for past 4 years , he has become the best low post player( thanks to jeff). what the waste!

TMAC is the player who love to create his own shot, most often from screen from big men, he is not the miller-type guy. if he does that , the percentage will be low. and plus it will be another waste.

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yao was just as bad in the low post tonight. so u cannot blame it on the high post.

tmac might not shoot like this every game b/c nobody can. but his positions on offense allow him to attack utah and every other team like in no ways before. if he struggles w/ his shot (like he did v. the laker to start a game), he can get EASY baskets in this system. when he does, he gets into a rhythm by seeing the ball go into a basket => gets his J (same as lakers)

remember, his first play v. utah tonight => LAYUP. next play => jumper. inside sets up outside most of the time and adelman will seek to do that for tmac

4. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

I loved that part. :D

5. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Seriously, it is just one game against Jazz. Yao just had an off night in offense. It is not like the Jazz had stopped Yao. Yao had open look but the shot just doesn't seem go in. Early foul trouble also comes into play a bit.

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I saw Yao in the low post most of the game and he wasn't doing very well and we kept going to him to him which was great to see.

It is amazing how much better Tmac plays when he gets some easy baskets. After that alley oop, his whole game stepped up to a different level even after he had 30 points. After plays like that, he gets his swagger back and that is what makes Tmac great. When he plays with swagger and for fun, there is really nothing you can do.

For the posters that think Yao will struggle in the "high post", we have gone to him in the low post(right outside the lane) several times in these first few games. I think we should start out the game trying to get Yao an easy dunk and his whole game will come together after that as well as Tmac. Don't worry about Yao getting taking from the low post to the high post. Adelman is not an idiot. We all know where Yao's strengths lie and he is going to have nights like these and so will Tmac. We just took what their defense gave us and luckily Tmac was on fire. there will be nights when Yao is unstoppable and Tmac's shot is off but we will continue to go to both of them no matter how off their shot is that night.

7. seaweed

seaweed Member

Although Tamc won't always be this hot, Yao won't always be this cold either. If you still remember what happened in the first half of Lakers' game, you shouldn't worry too much.

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i'm not talking about the missed shots. i'm talking about how far okur can push him out when he tries to get position. that was the case in the playoffs too. when that happens, he can only resort to fallaways or mini-jumpers and it's hard to make those at a high clip.

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You are assumming that he had a bad game because he was in the high post most of the time. If you can download the game, you will see Yao struggling in the low post.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yao tweaked his elbow and had a sleeve on. Remember last season, when Yao was struggling and he threw away a sleeve or bandage. He was back to the good Yao.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5267158.html

11. Champ06

Champ06 Member

I would give Yao the benefit of doubt because Yao suffered a slightly hyper-extended left elbow. Please, I have conveniently forgotten about the playoffs which are the past and would like to look forward to the future. Same as I have never doubt Tmac because of his back. If Tmac says he feels good and has no problem with his back. I believe. Maybe, as a Rockets' fan, I like to be optimistic and support our players especially our stars.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5267158.html

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac is moving COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from last yr. i don't think it was the back, but the lack of conditioning and how out of shape he was b/c of the back. i don't think he can run or have his legs for his Js even in the 4th last yr.

again, i just hope yao can establish deeper position where when we pass to him, all he does is just go straight up. no moves no nothing unless he has to. v. the jazz, his positions are horrible. a small tweak in the elbow i don't think can affect his positioning.

13. Champ06

Champ06 Member

See, that is the issue with us as a fan. We don't know whether it is just a small tweak or not, we wouldn't have any clue. That is why I said, I will give Yao the benefit of doubt. The thing is, we are not Yao, so who are we to say that Yao's elbow doesn't affect him (although Yao said it is not serious).

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

well, i'm talking about positioning. i'm not talking about other parts of his game that may require skill where the elbow might affect him.

this happened last yr in the playoffs too. are we going back to the knee?

the jazz is too physical of a team for yao. if yao is going to dominate, he has to make all those fallaway shots. i don't see him doing much inside the paint v. the jazz

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Which is why, in the long run, using him in the high post from time to time is a good idea.

16. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

what playoff? Yao average 25 pts Vs Jazz last time they met in the playoff. Yao's problem with the Jazz is not offence. Its defending Okur and Boozer.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Comparing to last playoff,

Tmac: drive more
    Yao: block more
    Battier: defending tougher

Obviously, they have been thinking a lot about the playoff lost.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He averaged 25 in increased minutes (37), while shooting 44% and turning it over nearly 5 times a game. He had problems on both ends.

19. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

25 pts on 44% shooting. guards' good fg% is around 45%. tmac shot 39% in that series despite getting 25 pts => sub par.

but for a dominant big man shooting 44% getting the touches he did, that was sub par.

and yes, yao can't defend boozer. not his fault. that's why i advocated the small lineup of howard +hayes more. howard guards okur, hayes guards boozer last yr.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Last night, Yao's problem was on both ends of the floor.