1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SafeLink......taxpayer sponsored cell phones for deadbeats!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OddsOn, Oct 8, 2010.

1. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

When I came across this I thought it had to be some kind of a joke, but sadly it is not. So now congress is extending free taxpayer sponsored cell phones and minute plans to dead beat welfare recipients? Cry me a feakin' river, I guess they figure everyone is "entitled" to a cell phone right?

This country needs a congressional enema...

Here is the link...
    https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/home.aspx

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

From your link:

It's really not fair when I read your links and you don't. If you're going to post an email, or blog rant, at least do so directly rather then drilling down to the source to appear a bit more objective...it would make it easier on all of us :cool:

3 people like this.
  4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

owned by his own link.

oh, odd son...

5. Major

Major Member

This took all of 7 seconds to find on Google. You truly are stupid - there's no other explanation. Nigerian scammers must love you.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/

Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use "taxpayer money" to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?

A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

haha. i love threads like this. and the OP never admits anything.

(lookin at you basso)

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the thing that I can't comprehend. I really hate being wrong. It's embarrassing. It just blows my mind that people like this guy and basso will repeatedly post stuff that is quickly shown to be indisputably factually incorrect. It's not a matter of opinion. It's reality. Where's the feedback loop? Where's the self awareness that normal people tap into?

1 person likes this.
  8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Sounds like taxpayer sponsored cell phones.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this thread got cell

phOWWWWNNNNEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!!

2 people like this.
  10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

In the sense that the telecom companies are taxpayers, I suppose you're right.

1 person likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cheesy and delicious.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MadMax again.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

admit that you laughed just a little bit. not a lot. just a little.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Of course I did, that's why I added "delicious" after the cheesy part. :)

14. Major

Major Member

Except the company (Safelink) provides the phone at its own expense. So no, the taxpayer doesn't pay for the cell phone in any way. You'd have learned that if you just read the paragraph after the one you quoted. Apparently, that would be asking too much.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

OddsOn...
    _____
    Additional Questions

Please contact our SafeLink Wireless information line at:
    1-800-977-3768
    Monday through Saturday, 8a.m. to 10p.m. and Sunday 8a.m. to 7p.m, Eastern Standard Time.

16. OddsOn

Ok simpletons.....let me spell it out for you

Do a google search on "who pays for safelink" and the very first link says "free govt. support phones"

Who said anything about Obama doing this, its just another government sponsored program that isn't really necesarry and is payed for by taxes in one form or another.

Have you ever seen the taxes you pay on telecom services? There is no benefit for companies to do this unless there is a kickback of somekind from the feds.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

apologies Odds.

When you posted "now congress is extending free taxpayer sponsored" I assumed you meant it was a relatively new program (hence the use of 'now') and that it was direct gov't support (note the word 'taxpayer').

How could I be such a simpleton.

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

So much anger

Maybe suckling some lactating breasts would help?

19. OddsOn

No worries.....

And for the record it IS a governmetn program put forth by the FCC, as from the aforementioned factcheck.org....

Check your phone bill the next time it comes in and look under the taxes area for the Federal Universal Service Fee which is a government mandated tax on telcom services. The fees on my last bill was almost $20.00 :eek:

When phone lines were first laid out in the late 19th century, they were not always inter-operable. That is to say the phone service created by one company to serve one town may not have been compatible with the phone service of another company serving a different town nearby. The telecom companies themselves saw the folly in this arrangement, and so in 1913, AT&T committed itself to resolving interconnection problems as part of the "Kingsbury Commitment."

That common goal of universal service became a goal of universal access to service when Congress passed The Telecommunications Act of 1934. The act created the FCC and also included in its preamble a promise "to make available, so far as possible, to all the people of the United States, a rapid, efficient, Nation-wide, and world-wide wire and radio communication service with adequate facilities at reasonable charges.” There was a fear, expressed by telecom companies themselves, that market forces alone might encourage companies to pass on providing service to hard-to-reach places. This would both hurt the people who wouldn’t have service as well as existing customers who wouldn’t be able to reach them. So the new FCC was tasked with promoting this principle of "universal service."

This informal practice was codified when the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) was created as part of the 1996 Telecommunications Act to "ensure all Americans, including low-income consumers and those who live in rural, insular, high cost areas, shall have affordable service and [to] help to connect eligible schools, libraries, and rural health care providers to the global telecommunications network." The USAC includes four programs to serve rural areas, high cost areas, rural health care providers, and schools and libraries. Since 1997, USAC has provided discounted land line service to low-income individuals. (A more limited program to offer assistance to low-income individuals was created a decade earlier; the telecommunications act expanded and formalized it.) According to Eric Iversen, USAC director of external relations, the Universal Service Fund more recently began funding programs that provide wireless service, such as the pre-paid cellular SafeLink program

20. Major

Major Member

So you're claiming it was just a coincidence that you posted this on the same day this chain email really exploded? You just randomly heard about this on your own? And of course, you were STILL wrong about it being "taxpayer sponsored cell phones" - which they are not. You were also wrong about the "deadbeats". And, you blame the current Congress despite them not having anything to do with it. You're claiming it all all just a big coincidence that this is exactly what's alleged in the junk chain email?

Just when you think you’ve heard it all,, our illustrious Congress quietly comes up with a new zinger to put their hands in your pockets, and pick them while you aren’t watching.

Isn't this just wonderful!

I was standing in line at the checkout counter at Wal Mart and as I looked at the line behind me, I saw a couple of people talking about what looked like identical new cell phones, bragging about the fact that their phones were free and so was the airtime.

The woman in line behind me had heard the same exchange and turned to the young man behind her and asked, “Is that a new type of cell phone?”

The young man replied, “Yes, this is my new ‘Obama phone’”.

She asked him what an “Obama phone” was, and he went on to say that, “Welfare recipients are now eligible to receive” what he described as (1) a FREE new cell phone, and (2) approximately 70 FREE minutes of air time every month.

Needless to say, I was a little skeptical about his answer, so when I got back home, I ‘Googled’ it, and lo and behold, he was telling the truth.

This was what I discovered:

SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program that provides a free cell phone and airtime each month for income-eligible customers.

In other words, your tax dollars are being distributed to a wireless phone provider to provide welfare recipients with free cell phones and airtime.

I don’t know about you, but as for me, enough is enough. We are $14 Trillion in debt, Congress is balking at continuing unemployment payments to those who want to work, and Congress is increasing the dole-out to dead beats.

The ship of State is sinking, and it’s sinking fast. The old concept of getting ahead through hard work has flown out the window. It has been replaced by Obama’s and Congress’ idea of “Hope and Change.” The country has changed all right, changed to "Why should I work for it, when I can get it for free?"

You can click on the link below to confirm for yourself that the “Obama Phone” is real.

Just have a barf bag ready.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/Home.aspx