1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Fernandez going to Blazers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by playlife, Jun 6, 2008.

1. playlife

playlife Member

Spain's Fernandez to join Portland Trail Blazers

* Reuters
    * , Friday June 6 2008

MADRID, June 6 (Reuters) - Spain shooting guard Rudy Fernandez said he was leaving local side DKV Joventut to join the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers on Friday.
    "They have pushed hard for me to join them and have assured me I will be an important figure for them," Fernandez told a news conference.
    "It wasn't an easy decision to take but it is the time for a new challenge after a fantastic year with Joventut."
    The 23-year-old helped Joventut to last season's King's Cup and ULEB Cup -- Europe's second tier event behind the Euroleague -- and was voted into the ideal starting five for the Spanish ACB league for the 2007-8 campaign.
    Fernandez was a member of the Spain team that won gold at the world championship in 2006 and silver in the European championship in 2007.
    He joins up with fellow countryman Sergio Rodriguez at Portland, and becomes the fifth Spain international in the NBA along with Rodriguez, Pau Gasol, Jorge Garbajosa, Juan Carlos Navarro and Jose Manuel Calderon.
    Fernandez will join up with Portland after the forthcoming Olympic Games in Beijing.
    (Writing by Mark Elkington; editing by Padraic Halpin)

javascript:newwind('http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7567637','931')

2. playlife

playlife Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

haha, you have no chance of getting many minutes behind Roy. They want you for trade bait...fool.

"But I was the Brandon Roy of Spain."

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, they are loaded....maybe we can give them Battier for Rodriquez and Outlaw?

DD

5. lastmanstanding

He's gonna get as much PT as VSpan.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/06/rudy_rumors_true.html
    http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/2008/06/06062008_Fernandez-closer-to-joining-Blazers.cfm
    OK, that Ben Gordon to Portland rumor needs to be spread about in Spain.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Man that sucks...

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If he lives up to the bill they could be a championship contender in a couple of years. All they need to do lock down their SF position and stay healthy.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/06/rudy_ready_for_ripcity.html

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Blazers are loaded...

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

'How to Rebuild,' see: Portland Trailblazers

:(

12. Asian Sensation

We could use Outlaw and they could definitely use Shane Baattier. I'd like to see an Outlaw+Frye for Battier+pick or Luther Head something along those lines.

Outlaw would be a perfect swingman for us and he's shown improvements every year. Being from Portland I get to see him play a lot and he likes taking big shots as well. He has the athleticism and desire to become pretty good. If he lacks one thing that's holding him back from stardom it's probably natural instinct/basketball smarts but he seems to be getting it.

Channing Frye is very underrated in my opinion. He's a very skilled big man with a nice 15 footer. He would be an ideal back-up to Yao and can give minutes at the 4 as well. The Blazers have a glut at the 4-5 position and Frye may not see too many minutes.

Blazers are a Shane Battier away from really taking charge and making the playoffs. He would be that perfect veteran winner to guide that young team which already has great chemistry.

Being as I'm a Rockets fan 1 and Blazers fan 2 ... I think this would be a win-win trade for both teams. If Blazers decide to keep Frye and they buy-out Raef Lafrentz I'd love to have him.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, luck out in the lottery a couple of times. The lottery sucks.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

McMillan told the Oregon paper he plans on playing Frye as their primary backup PF next season. That was Outlaw's role this season.

With Roy leaving maybe 8 to 10 mins at SG. Webster, Outlaw, and Fernandez will all be battling for those remaining minutes and the minute at SF. Too much talent not enough minutes. One of them needs to be moved.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Indeed... the Blazers have been making a habit of stealing guys Morey wants.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with you the Blazers have some trades to make. No doubt.

17. sime0n

sime0n Member

rodriguez ftw

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i love what the blazers have done to their team up there, they have to be proud of what the franchise has done to shed its "jailblazer" image so quickly and have a solid team there.

they are going to be great for a long time so much young talent on their. If Allen is ready to spend over the tax they are going to be atop the West for the next decade once their guys mature. Roy, Alridge (the way he busted out last year) and more than likely oden will all be Max or near max players and the have a bunch of guys who would normally get around 4-6 mil on other other teams in webster, outlaw, frye, pryzbilla,

their PG position is their only weak spot with blake and jack but they can shift roy to the PG at times with the depth they have at the 2/3 positions.

they are going to be fun to watch next year thats for sure