1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Roving Bugs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Major

Major Member

This is certainly interesting - I didn't realize this type of technology was in place in cell-phones.

Can You Hear Me Now?

Cell phone users, beware. The FBI can listen to everything you say, even when the cell phone is turned off.

A recent court ruling in a case against the Genovese crime family revealed that the FBI has the ability from a remote location to activate a cell phone and turn its microphone into a listening device that transmits to an FBI listening post, a method known as a "roving bug." Experts say the only way to defeat it is to remove the cell phone battery.

"The FBI can access cell phones and modify them remotely without ever having to physically handle them," James Atkinson, a counterintelligence security consultant, told ABC News. "Any recently manufactured cell phone has a built-in tracking device, which can allow eavesdroppers to pinpoint someone's location to within just a few feet," he added.

According to the recent court ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan, "The device functioned whether the phone was powered on or off, intercepting conversations within its range wherever it happened to be."

The court ruling denied motions by 10 defendants to suppress the conversations obtained by "roving bugs" on the phones of John Ardito, a high-ranking member of the family, and Peter Peluso, an attorney and close associate of Ardito, who later cooperated with the government. The "roving bugs" were approved by a judge after the more conventional bugs planted at specified locations were discovered by members of the crime family, who then started to conduct their business dealings in several additional locations, including more restaurants, cars, a doctor's office and public streets.

"The courts have given law enforcement a blank check for surveillance," Richard Rehbock, attorney for defendant John Ardito, told ABC News.

Judge Kaplan's ruling said otherwise. "While a mobile device makes interception easier and less costly to accomplish than a stationary one, this does not mean that it implicated new or different privacy concerns." He continued, "It simply dispenses with the need for repeated installations and surreptitious entries into buildings. It does not invade zones of privacy that the government could not reach by more conventional means."

But Rehbock disagrees. "Big Brother is upon us...1984 happened a long time ago," he said, referring to the George Orwell futuristic novel "1984," which described a society whose members were closely watched by those in power and was published in 1949.

The FBI maintains the methods used in its investigation of the Genovese family are within the law. "The FBI does not discuss sensitive surveillance techniques other than to emphasize that any electronic surveillance is done pursuant to a court order and ongoing judicial scrutiny," Agent Jim Margolin told ABC News.

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Whoa! That IS crazy. Of course it is well publicized that they can and do intercept cell phone CALLS, but turning it on and using it like a bug, that's startling.

Can we get a link?

3. Major

Major Member

4. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

thats pretty sweet. if they use my phone to catch some super criminal that would be fine with me. i dont know why people are so concerned about this stuff unless they have something to hide.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

Yeah... I can't imagine why we even have a fourth amendment in our constitution. :rolleyes:

It's not like the NSA has a warrantless surveillance program with no checks or balances... Oh... Wait...

Also, how long until hackers get a hold of this sort of technology? How comfortable are you with that idea?

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yep, I have absolutely NO problem with this. Cool technology.

7. insane man

insane man Member

so your ok with your 900 number p*rn chats being logged by the government?

8. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Well they are already logging our p*rn activity on the Internet. Does it really surprise anyone that they are doing this?

9. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

nope... kinda suprised they're able to turn them on from a remote location.... couldn't you just turn it off if you notice its on?

i had a phone for many year, but i haven't had a cell phone for 16 months now... funny enough, i feel safer after reading this article.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I was a l33t h@x0r, I'd trail rich CEOs and blackmail them with this method...

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i read an article a few months ago about how they are able to do the same thing with the microphones built into your computer.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

According to Alex Jones Google is on the CIA's payroll.

Now they've got two methods to listen in on my drug induced sex parties.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, they are able to use software to turn on the phone's microphone even if the phone itself is powered down. As mentioned in the article, the only way to keep them from hearing you is by removing the battery from the phone or by placing the phone in a soundproof container.