1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Round 1] Lakers vs. Suns

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by reggietodd, Apr 21, 2006.

1. murzin

murzin Member

what a clown...did we hear the 2-faced kiss on kobe's behind or what.

that's a charge, son. see the replay, and calm down. "greatest dunk"? when were you born? yesterday?

you stupid faker fans always make a fool out of yourselves. give respect where respect is due, and then come back to talk basketball.

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

Kobe and Nash MVP debate is a little like Olajuwon vs. Robinson back in the day. Robinson's team had the better record so he got the MVP, but then again at least Robinson's numbers were comparable to Olajuwon.

Hmm, it'll be embarrasing for the league if LA beats Phoenix and Nash gets his award after he's knocked out!

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

WTF? I'm no Lakers/Kobe fan by any means, but Nash reaching out with his hands was the only contact that occurred on that supposed "charge." Then he just flopped. If anything, it was a defensive foul.

4. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

I think it's also a crime to call that an offensive foul, anyway, that's dunk was great.

5. Zboy

Zboy Member

I dont know how many times I have said it before...but I will say it again....

Shawn Marion is a choker. He has a history of disappearing in the playoffs. The guy pads his stats in the regular season,and then when playoffs arrive, he looks completely clueless. All you have to do is be physical with him and he is completely taken out of the game.

It is pure comedy watching him try to create a shot for himself.

Lakers would have gone up 2-0 if Kobe made some of he shots he normally makes. That's the scary thing for Suns. Kobe doesnt seem to have the touch from outside yet Lakers are still scoring in bunches.

And oh yeah. This is what coaching is all about. Phil Jackson is showing why Les should have gone for him last summer, instead of extending JVG's contract. Phil comes up with game plan to suit his team. Despite having Kobe on the team,Lakers run enough variations on offense to keep the suns guessing. JVG could never do such a thing, which is why he has 9 less rings.

PJ >>>>>> JVG

6. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

That was a flop by Nash, I'm glad the refs didn't fall for it....reminds me of when Ricky Davis literally jumped over Nash and he flopped trying to draw a foul....didn't get called then either...great dunk by Kobe

7. Zboy

Zboy Member

I am glad the ref didnt call a charge on that. I hate it when players are about to jump in the air,and some clown decides to come in the way to take a charge. Nash was late. Kobe had already made a move for a dunk and Nash moved in and tried to take a flop. Kobe flew over him to avoid the charge.

Advantage Kobe.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yes because the lakers would be a .500 team without him ;)

9. real_egal

real_egal Member

OK, Kobe dunked on Nash, so he's MVP? :D Nash was still trying to defend. He didn't just try to stay out of the way, and he actually tried to flop.

By the same logic, we can call everyone who dunked on Yao Ming the best center then, and Swift comes to mind immediately.

I agree with the coach part. PJ is PJ, hate his guts or not, he is a great coach. But not sure whether you guys noticed, due to those young legs of the Lakers, they actually could stay with the Suns players, adding the allstar (best player on the Suns according to some here) Matrix disappeared, the Lakers looked pretty good last night. Remember last year? When we were hustling and disciplined, when our guys stayed with Suns players, we looked great as well, both offensively and defensively. With all the key guys down, our bench players couldn't keep them in check, then the whole team looked aweful. You need players to execute your plan. People give too little credit to Lakers players, unlike some strong Kobe supporters claimed that they are bunch of garbages, they are not, they are actually quality roll players who can make shots, rebound, and create own shots.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

The Lakers have done this so far as a team, it's actually been quiet impressive how balanced they've looked the past couple of games. I think Kobe might've finally started to believe in his teammates, I think Phil has finally gotten through to him much like he did to Jordan back with Chicago. I think we might be watching a new Kobe, and the Lakers will definitely be better for it. He's asserting himself when he needs to, passing and involving his teammates when he needs to, and just doing a very good job overall of balancing out his game.

Phil is a freakin' genius, I will give him that. He seems to always get through to his superstar players and make them take that next step necessary for team success. Once Kobe truly buys into it, there won't be a better player in this league and the Lakers will truly take off.

11. real_egal

real_egal Member

JVG is a very good coach, in my opinion. But thinking of the rumor that we actually had a chance to get PJ back then, I am wondering what would Yao Ming, TMac, and the Rockets become by now if we have got Phil. I know 10 million is just too much for Les. OK, back to reality.

12. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

that was a foul on nash for sure. after kobe jumped for the dunk, nash came under him..what do you expect kobe to do?

and also kobe barely touched him and he flew to the ground. i am glad crawford didnt call it a offensive foul just because nash wanted to flop.

13. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Nash learned the art of flopping while in Dallas. They must hold special practice sessions for this alone.

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Member

I really don't know what you were talking about. You shouldn't have included Rockets in that group. Not even close. I am not gonna mention this years' Rox because they were built for Lottery. Just want to remind you, last year's Rox were healthy, most of them played at least half season together, they seemed have great chemistry, the team was rolling at the end of the season, T-Mac was playing at an unbelievable level in the playoffs, everything was perfect and I am not sure when Rox can go back to that level again. Result? They won first 2 games on the road and managed to beat the odds and lost the series eventually and they lost the last game by 40pts, which was the largest defeat in NBA playoffs history.

Built for playoffs? Yeah, right.

#95 ivanyy2000, Apr 27, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

I meant their "system" is built for the playoffs. Now the fact that Dallas had a lot more talent last year and ended up prevailing doesn't negate that point.

I was comparing those teams that play very good defense and have a reliable inside-out game. I didn't actually mean that the Rox were as good as the Pistons/Spurs...LOL! I am not that stupid.

16. uchlha

uchlha Member

kobe was in the air already when nash stepped over there

17. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I don't know if Phil is a genius, but he's a great coach. When he first went to LA, both Shaq and Kobe accepted the fact they needed his leadership and a dynasty was born. After a few years, they stopped listening and the dynasty crumbled.

Kobe is now listening again. It's obvious Phil got Kobe to buy into his offensive strategy against the Suns. Defensively, I've said since last year the Suns get too many points off easy baskets. Against decently coached and at least semi-athletic teams, the Suns offense will bog down in a long playoff series. It only took the Lakers the 1st quarter of Game 1 to adjust.

Even though the Suns are in trouble, I still think they will prevail. The Lakers roster is sorry and Kobe & Odom will have to carry them.

We may be seeing a "new Kobe" who is more dedicated to winning than to himself. Maybe not. This is what made MJ the ultimate superstar. Sure he cared about himself (it showed), but everyone on HIS team and the other team knew he wanted to just win the game. Each and every single game.

18. waihh

waihh Member

Three things to say:
    1. Kobe is the single best player in the league. Some other players are growing and could surpass Kobe, but he is the best.
    2. Phil Jackson is the best coach ever. As a Zen Master, he never overcoaches like a lot of good coaches do.
    3. The suns are not going to win this series.

19. twoface723

twoface723 Member

:rolleyes: to all the Kobe haters.