1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ronaldo to Join MLS?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketFan007, May 25, 2006.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

This has long been rumored, but it was unlikely to occur until his Real deal ended. It not looks like he may join after the World Cup. I can't see him giving up that much money to sign now, but he will join in the next 2-3 years.

http://bigapplesoccer.com/article.php?article_id=6198

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

if he wants less stress he should come to houston :)

3. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Slightly unrelated but I cannot see how any can complain about the name of our soccer team (or Houston 1836) with a team name the "Red Bulls" in the league.

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

That's an understatement.

I'll be surprised if this actually happens, taking that much of a pay cut just to avoid pressure seems unlikely. Of course, we've all seen what pressure does to people.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think if all the MLS teams pooled their resources together to pay Ronaldo, it still wouldn't be enough to cover his salary :p

6. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

New York Red Bulls: Ronaldo, Zidane, Davids, Djorkaeff... :eek: :eek: :eek:

How do they divide the 1.8 million MLS salary cap pie? The whole cap amount is not even 1/5 of what Ronaldo or Zidane is earning now and I don't think Davids will be cheap either. :D

#6 RocketForever, May 25, 2006
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  7. DrLudicrous

The MLS 'Salary Cap' is kind of strange. Basically, at most $300,000 of a player's salary counts towards their cap, so if somebody is making a million $700,000 of that doesn't count towards the cap number. To sign somebody for more than that the league has to approve it though and they can also allow teams to go over the cap if they want. On top of that the league is considering allowing each team to bring in a big named player that they can pay whatever they want.

Here's an article that talks about some player's salaries and it also links to each teams payroll.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/26/AR2006042602276.html

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't really watch soccer, but I like the name Houston 1836 leaps and bounds over Dynamo. To me, all of these names in the MLS seem to make it a parody league, almost. It's just wierd having all these team names that are the same as all of these European teams. It's almost as if the MLS is a minor league to these teams or something, and definitely makes the league seem inferior, which it is. To me, a non-soccer fan, it almost seems to be a mockery.

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

if he stinks in the world cup he might...but he would have to do REAL BAD...which won't happen, the guy seems to always show up in this tourney...He know it means $$$ for him.

10. DrLudicrous

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

well, it is true what you said

MLS is a double-A triple-A at best.. when compared to the european leagues..

they're on completely different levels.