1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rolling Stone: A Rape on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BabyClutch, Nov 28, 2014.

1. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Member

"Jackie was just starting her freshman year at the University of Virginia when she was brutally assaulted by seven men at a frat party. When she tried to hold them accountable, a whole new kind of abuse began"

By Sabrina Rubin Erdely | November 19, 2014

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-20141119#ixzz3KOoGmUaR
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I didn't see this posted. It's a pretty big deal though. UVA & other universities are now forced to make big changes.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. She has some very *****TY friends.
    2. Coming forward a year later . . . It is always harder to prove. By then their is no evidence and breaks down to a He Said/She Said.

While I believe the account.
    It is hard to prove when the only think on her side is her word.
    There has to be more of a push to report early.
    There has to be a strong arm on these Administrators that are hiding it.
    Give them THEIR options - Lawsuits, Jailtime for THEM or do the right thing.

Rocket River

3. Kyakko

Kyakko Member

Enrollment and thus money is based largely on a University's reputation, even more than the level of education provided. If someone can pay for a Harvard Degree with a Devry level of education, they would. I've been working for a university for years and can tell you, campus rape is the biggest PR nightmare of any school Admin. There's always strong efforts in attempt to prevent rape, like PS emails, warning posters, classroom talks, etc... However, there's rarely any news about actually rape instances and what happens afterwards.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand.
    I think there needs to be renewed focus on the ability for these ladies to come forward and evidence gathered 'quietly' and 'safely'
    Threats against them should be treated accordingly.

I don't think neither the victim or the accused should be publically acknowledges until the final determination. or at least the indictment stage.

Rocket River

5. DCkid

DCkid Member

Can some explain to me what is going on here? Apparently this whole thing may have been made up, as hardly any of the details can be corroborated.

Key elements of Rolling Stone’s U-Va. gang rape allegations in doubt
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/u-va-fraternity-to-rebut-claims-of-gang-rape-in-rolling-stone/2014/12/05/5fa5f7d2-7c91-11e4-84d4-7c896b90abdc_story.html?hpid=z1

A similar fact-checking has gone on with Lena Dunham's account of being raped by a rabidly conservative/republican student back in college, which she details in her autobiography. None of those details could be corroborated either.

INVESTIGATION: Lena Dunham ‘Raped by a Republican’ Story in Bestseller Collapses Under Scrutiny
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/12/03/investigation-lena-dunhams-republican-rapist-story-falls-apart-under-scrutiny

There's also plenty of cases in the past (Duke lacrosse team) that turned out to not be true.

Again, can someone tell me what is going on here? I have a hard time believing these false/embellished accusations are all about money. Seems like such a risky and self-shaming way to make money.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rolling Stone allowed themselves to become her mouthpiece . . . .
    I am surprised by that

Rocket River

7. Commodore

Commodore Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Apparently a Rolling Stone also gathers no evidence.</p>&mdash; neontaster (@neontaster) <a href="https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/540961796543504384" data-datetime="2014-12-05T20:11:57+00:00">December 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Rolling Stones got told to shut up by one of the alums of the university.

Just kidding.

I'm interested as well.

9. Commodore

Commodore Member

the Lena Dunham accusation is just as baseless, but the media is afraid to go after a feminist icon

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is That's the one that molested her sister when they were kids?

Rocket River

11. Commodore

Commodore Member

no, she said a college republican named Barry raped her in college

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Member

After she diddled her little sister. The false flag ops are not about money, of course, they're pushing an agenda that 'rape culture' is synonymous with white male or conservative.

13. dback816

dback816 Member

What does being republican have anything to do with this.

It's not like we're gonna deport all republicans based on a rape allegation or two.

14. Commodore

Commodore Member

like the Duke lacrosse incident, the left has a Lifetime Movie notion that there is an epidemic of rich white privileged frat boys raping women on college campuses.

So they are quick to believe any accusation, without any corroboration.

15. nono

nono Member

What's the girl to do after she gets her degree in social studies ? False rape allegations must be one of the few avenues left to make money. This girl should do jail time, because every time a girl is actually raped and come forward with her story, people will think back to incidents like these.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I don't have that "lifetime" movie notion. But since I work at a university, I do know that, overall, sexual assault on college campuses is a serious problem. I don't think it has any special color, class, or political leaning. And I don't know if it's an "epidemic", but the statistics for American College Campuses are not pretty.

I wish we could leave politics out of that, but in America, you can't talk about anything without someone trying to fling poo at their "enemies," meaning half their fellow citizens.

Le sigh.

The story at hand is majorly not a woman problem and is majorly a WTF Rolling Stone problem. Inexcusable to have run the story in the first place, especially given the magnitude of the accusations. Go back to writing about Pink or Bon Iver or some other ****ty music.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Uva has had a very rapey rapeutation for years. I mean I went to college in that region and it had that rep then (long time ago) One of the big catalysts after the RS article was actually lots of folks writing letters/posts etc saying "yup thats,the Uva I know" so either it's mass hysteria/conspiracy or UVA has some issues. Probably the latter.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

19. rudan

rudan Member

Rolling Stone goin to get sued.........

Rape is a serious accusation, you'd think they would have checked some sources out :eek:

20. rudan

rudan Member

I dont get the woman's popularity. Shes ugly, vile, unfunny, looks like she smells/farts alot, doesnt shave, likes touching young girls, and the list could go on for a while.

From the sounds of it, she probably stalked some rich republican named barry and became the opposite of what he liked as some sick rejection payback :)