1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitar Songs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, May 30, 2008.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

As clearly written by music critics who don't actually play guitar.'

Somehow, Slater Kinney, the White Stripes, Nirvana and U2 out rank Van Halen, Ozzy (with Randy Rhodes), Jeff Beck and others. No offense, but beating out three of the greatest guitar players of the last generation. Led Zeppelin gets ONE song in the top 50 and it's not in the top 10. Aerosmith barely makes the top 50 as does Metallica.

I know a LOT of guitar players and while there are some amazing one's on this list, I can promise you this list would look dramatically different if actual guitar players made is. Yikes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/20947527

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

wow
    what a horrible list

agree, no way in hell you put stuff like that over a guy who changed how guitars were used in rock.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it seems you like older stuff instead of newer stuff?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

i can't believe Nirvana is ranked that high. i am a big fan of Nirvana, but that song doesn't deserve that spot. UNLESS, it's talking about influence. the song did influence a whole bunch of teens after all. :D i guess most of the songs are not ranked right. it's the writer's opinion.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

And Rolling Stone Mag just further solidifies itself as to having absolutely no clue...

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Actually, Zep had at least 2 songs in the top 50.

7. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i didn't even bother reading the list, after reading the first post. if the following aren't in the top 10-15 (and multiple songs by many of them), it's not legit. and that's not just my opinion ;)

i challenge any of you to list songs by these newer bands that can compare to the greats listed below.

metallica
    megadeth
    santana
    cream & clapton
    led zeppelin
    sabbath & ozzy
    van halen
    pantera
    joe satriani
    jeff beck
    hendrix
    iron maiden
    slayer

this post is directly at you peleincubus, but only cause you seem to be the only one to have defended it, thus far.

8. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

how new is new?

system of a down
    all that remains
    shinedown

all good bands.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

maybe it's just me...but i believe a rush song belongs on that list. you telling me alex lifeson isn't good enough to have a song in the top 100? bullcrapola!

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well the first 9 songs looked like they were made in the 50s-70s

number 10 nirvana came out in 1991

and then 11-20 were all in the 60-70s except prince which was the 80's (which he is pretty accepted as a great guitarist)

and by the way i have seen most of the bands you listed live before along with nirvana and the white stripes that i guess your implying stink.

and one last note iron maiden and megadeath SUCK

some of the newer rock i like seems to i guess be more vocal driven. arcade fire, interpol, cold war kids, mindless self indulgence. so i cant really help you there.

11. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

This list was about catchy and influential riffs. I think the writer was concerned with representing each era more or less equally, thus leaving out some of our favorites. I was glad to see King Crimson's "Red" and Television's "Marquee Moon" included, though.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

How is I Feel Fine not there? Probably the first intro to feedback for most people.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i'll put jack white up against almost anybody.

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Rock around the Clock?? really? wayyyy before Texas Flood?

and where the hell is Europa by Santana.

This list eats my butt.

15. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

What about Floods by PanterA? that song has a great solo plus it's played by Dimebag Darrell! Blitzkrieg Pop isn't even a good song, it's just the riff over and over. I SHOULD have an opinion I play guitar and bass

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It's not about new vs. old. Music is different today. It is far less guitar driven today than it used to be and RARELY is there a guitar solo in a song. I love a LOT of new music. I just don't think there are a lot of great modern songs featuring guitar.

17. what

what Member

No Carl Perkins. No Joe Maphis. No Maybelle Carter. You got to wonder. I know this is not the greatest guitarist, but come on.

18. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I like how they have to have the obligatory rolling stones songs in there, because of the name...

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah, that's it.

:rolleyes:

20. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Yep, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Cause Brown Sugar is definitely not one of the greatest guitar songs I've heard. The same tune the entire way through.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: