1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roll the dice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pasox2, May 4, 2004.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a BIG trade idea that came to me in the Okur thread.

Houston trades : Steve Francis (12m), Eric Piatkowski (2.6m)

Detroit trades : Chauncey Billups (5.5m) Darko Milicic (4m) Elden Campbell (4.9m)

Detroit :

Sf3
    Rip
    Prince
    Wallace
    Wallace

Why - SF3 gives them upgraded scoring punch.

Houston:

Yao/Campbell
    Darko/Campbell
    JJ/Boki
    Brent Barry/JJ
    Chauncy

Why - Big front line, solid backcourt that shoots 3s.

We would still be able to trade or keep Taylor, Cato, Cat, and use TE. Plug them in above. You can get some other good playters with that that play team ball, defend, pass, and shoot well. Guys like Harpring or D.Marshall.

Big risk, big reward.

You could also swap out Campell for Corliss Williamson, if necessary.

2. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Member

they're not trading Darko away.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

Detroit has taken so much ridicule for the Darko draft pick that I don’t think there’s any way they trade him this early. Swap a resign Okur for Darko and maybe they would consider it.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I thought this was going to be a get Antonio McDyess free agent thread. :confused: ;)

5. emjohn

emjohn Member

Teams that are steam rolling the competition in their conference probably aren't looking to shake things up anyway.

6. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Member

Man this is going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg offseason w/ these pointless and impossible trades.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd do it.

But I think at the very least we'd have to use the trade exception(but maybe not all of it) to take on a bad contract so they'd have enough cap space to re-sign Okur(that way they'd still have a 3 man rotation). Maybe even throw in a 1st rounder.

Detriot after trade:

Wallace/Okur
    Wallace/Okur
    Prince/bleh
    Rip/bleh
    Francis/bleh

Houston after:

Yao/Cato
    Darko/Mo
    JJ/Boki
    Mobes/bleh
    Billups/bleh

On paper it looks like Detroit upgrades a little(which if they come up just short is something they might want to look into) and the rox don't lose too much for picking up a good big man prospect.

But it'd never happen. :(

8. dharocks

dharocks Member

What little I've seen of Darko, I must admit I'm concerned. He just doesn't look fluid out there on the court, it's like he's thinking to hard. I don't think he's a natural basketball player.

9. waran007

waran007 Member

you all do realize that chauncey is the exactly the type of "shoot-first" point guard that everyone here wants avoid like the plague right?

10. pasox2

pasox2 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it would probably take the TE, too. That's a chance for us to really use it with a team that really needs it. They need that cash.
    If we took on Corliss Williamson and whatever else they want to jettison, the deal enables them to upgrade their backcourt scoring punch, resign Wallace, and resign Okur. They give up on Darko, who wasn't going to play in their starting lineup for two years,anyway.

Rockets take a big gamble but still have a team if they roll craps.
    IF they roll 7 or 11, they have a punishing, dominating frontcourt and savvy, good-shooting backcourt. They can contend with Duncan and Garnett. LA, Sacto and Dallas are already dieing on the vine, and a big front court + shooters will roll through them.

11. thegary

thegary Member

but he can shoot.

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Me too!

13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

Fascinating idea pasox2. I just wonder who is closer to being an NBA player - Badiane or Darko?

How is Chauncey at the pull-up midrange jumper?

14. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I am completely in support f the thinkng behind this suggestion, and would support the move, were it made.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

To the tune of .394 this past season and a career average of .402....

16. Toast

Toast Member

Me too.

17. thegary

thegary Member

i'm not saying he is better than francis, but i would take chauncey and darko for steve. i don't want max money spent at the point. also, even if his field goal percentage looks less than stellar he knocks down a lot of big shots in crunch time.

18. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

hes a better 3 point shooter, i would do it. darko could end up being something special.

19. jevjnd

jevjnd Member

At this point we need more than potential, I think that most of us would be very unhappy to see our players for a bunch of garbage rold players. You can all keep these Detroit trade proposals, I think that most anyone in their right mind would decline, this would be rape on their (Detroit's) part.

20. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Member

Whoever think we have a chance to get Darko without giving up Yao is rolling something other than the dice.