1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockstar's Next Great Game?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Uprising, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Rockstar Games is pleased to announce a partnership with Team Bondi Pty Ltd to publish the ground-breaking next generation crime thriller L.A. Noire. Developed by Team Bondi, a new Australian based studio founded by Brendan McNamara, of The Getaway, L.A Noire is an interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940's.

L.A. Noire blends action, detection and complex storytelling and draws players into an open-ended challenge to solve a series of gruesome murders. Set in a perfectly recreated Los Angeles before freeways, with a post-war backdrop of corruption, drugs and jazz, L.A. Noire will truly blend cinema and gaming.http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/splash.html
    ------------------

Rockstar are making a new game; a game called LA Noire, which, apparently, has the biggest development budget of any game, ever. Wow.

Tom Crago, the CEO of Tantalus, president of Game Developers Association of Australia and all round cool guy (we’ve got to say that, he’s a president of something) said that it “could be the biggest budget videogame in development anywhere in the world. It would certainly… in terms of console titles, be in the top ten… LA Noire is a massive, massive project.”

Not only that, but he said that it’s “got - I’d suggest - another year or so to go”. So, roughly a year, but don’t expect that to be too certain. He also confirmed it would be released on the PS3 and the 360. Awesome.
    http://www.ps3vault.com/la-noire-1-year-3315

Trailer:

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/html/trailer.html

It sounds pretty damn fun. Can't wait....although it's quite a ways away from being released.

#1 Uprising, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

This game has been in development for a LONG time. Basically seems like vaporware, although I guess since Take Two acquired the rights, they might have decided to apply the Rockstar-GTA treatment to it.

I can't say I have high expectations given its history so far, but then again, they've yet to show anything except that trailer from a while back (can't even remember if it was real-time either).

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I just heard about it lol, but if they do have the GTA style of play this could be a very fun game. Solving the mysteries etc.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This trailer is definitely NOT real-time. Were you referring to a different one?

5. LouisianaRocket

This game sounds very interesting. I'll be picking it up for sure, Biggest Budgets have the risk of biggest failures, so we'll see how it goes. Sounds like it would be fun tho.

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

No, that was it (didn't realize he linked to a trailer in the OP). Watched the video again, and it looks too good for real-time but not exactly great for CG either (might be some in-engine assets in there or whatever). Guess that's what I was vaguely remembering in my mind.

Looked it up again, and it seems like they were talking about this game in early 2004. The fact that it is taking 5-6 years (or more?) to complete would definitely help it become the game with the biggest budget ever. Sony dropped it long ago after fully funding the project initially (and even then, they were touting how expensive it was going to be to make), and while I suppose there could have been a number of reasons for doing this unrelated to the game's quality, I'm guessing they didn't like what was coming out of the studio. And keep in mind, Sony decided to keep a game like Lair.

I realize I'm kind of hating on the game without even giving it much of a chance, but I'll gladly change my mind once we start getting some new stuff from them (assuming it looks good). If it has been 2+ years after a game has been announced, I tend to get a little pessimistic about the game at times (see even some of my old FFXIII comments, although I recently became a little more positive once they showed new stuff).

7. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Bump.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jeYym1U226M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This game looks AWESOME. Like a mix of Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption.

This is going to be an awesome year for video games.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Video Game p*rn?

Rocket River

9. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

those facial expressions are ridiculous. i seriously thought some were real for a second

10. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Wow... looks awesome!

11. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Yeah, those are definitely the best facial animations I've ever seen in a game.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Looks really interesting.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

In before DaDarkOne says "[my company and I] thought about that first." :eek:

2 people like this.
  14. k-money

k-money Member

nice vid. i have heard some rumors about GTA V too.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

We'll see, Rockstar hasn't made a great game in a while.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

The pistol that is pulled from the trash can in the video is a Browning/FN 1922.

[​IMG]

It is a pretty obscure gun. Mostly European, and in a smaller caliber. Many beginning-level collectors wouldn't even be able to identify it, much less people with a casual interest in guns. But with the exception of the Fabrique Nationale branded grips (which would be intentionally left off to avoid trademark issues), the rendering is just about perfect. For them to pay attention to that level of detail on something most people won't even appreciate gives me great hope for the game.

I'm willing to bet all the details will be spot on. For instance, the driver's license that gets shown briefly is, I believe, an accurate facsimile of a period operating permit as well.

#16 Ottomaton, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  17. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Red Dead Redemption? Game of the year?

18. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

hans klopek sighting at 2:40

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In fact, they just made the best game.