1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets will sign Dexter Pittman, per source. Will waive Greg Smith.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Rockets will sign Dexter Pittman, per source. Will waive Greg Smith.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets will sign Dexter Pittman, per source. Will waive Greg Smith.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/454310052443086849">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston Rockets, I'm told, are in process of waiving Greg Smith to sign Dexter Pittman to rest-of-season-deal</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/454310227383304192">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Smith has been unable to come back from knee injury, has missed most of the seaaon. He was not with the Rockets on the road trip.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/454310517381668864">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets signing Pittman for rest of this season and next with next season non-guaranteed, source said.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/454312556065079297">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

The Rockets are signing Dexter Pittman and waiving Greg Smith, a person with knowledge of the transaction said today.

Smith, a 6-10 forward/center, has been unable to come back from knee injury and has missed most of the season. He was not with the Rockets on their current road trip.

Pittman, a big body at 6-11 and 308 pounds, is signed for the rest of this season and also for next, but the second year is not guaranteed. He is eligible for the Rockets playoff roster and could provide some big-man minutes behind Dwight Howard and Omer Asik.

Pittman, a former standout at Terry High School and the University of Texas, was drafted in the second round in 2010 by the Miami Heat.

He played 35 games with the Heat in 2011-12 but has bounced around the NBA and D-League since. He had four games with the Heat and seven with the Grizzlies last season and played two this season with Hawks, who signed him to a 10-day contract earlier. Pittman also spent time with the Austin Toros of the D-League this year.

Smith played in only 11 games this year after appearing in 70 last season. He was not under contract for next season.

#1 Amel, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. ThaShark316_28

Poor Smith; dude could not stay healthy.

Welcome Big Dex! Hook em!

3. Vega_281

Vega_281 Member

*googles dexter pittman*

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Why? Didn't see that coming

5. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

This sucks..., goodbye gummy bear.

We'll miss you.

Goodluck in the future!

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

OH MY GOD I feel bad for Greg...
    Was 1 of my favorite guys on last year's team..But I understand we need healthy bodies now..I wish him every success in the future..

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

I liked Greg Smith the past year or two. Has he played at all this season? Seemed like there was always some kind of injury.

Dexter Pittman? I remembered he went to UT and then was drafted by the Heat, forgot about him since then. Had to look him up online. Looks like he has traveled to several different teams and has had trouble finding a spot anywhere.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Urgh, never liked his mentality. Hope he doesn't mess with our team chemistry.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

ive been saying it for quite some time now we need 3 centers, some of these games couldve been won when asik or howard couldnt play this year. DMO/jones are not SOLID big centers.

I thought morey was never going to do it but he finally waived smith and picked up a 3rd center. Cant go into playoffs with only howard and asik:cool:

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Do a massive favour to Greg mr.hinkle.

Also dexter to help the vipers in the playoffs hmmmmm.

11. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Finally getting some championship experience on this team. That is what they need!

12. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

Lol loved this guy for laying Stephenson out in the 2012 playoffs.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Knew Smith was a goner.

Glad to see we got a real big man to back up Asik.

14. clutz

clutz Member

I've seen enough

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meh, warm body.

So long and all the best Mr. Gregory Smith.

16. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

uhhhh what???

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Pittman?!?! We want Camby!!!

18. acjeitherocket

sux for Smith...he wasn't too bad...dam injuries

19. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Gonna miss Greg Smith. He was one of my favorite players from last season. It sucks that he couldn't stay healthy, but NBA is a business.

Not a fan of Pittman, but hopefully he contributes somehow.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nice try AARP.