1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets v Orlando 1995 was the highest rated finals?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by notthefullquid, May 31, 2011.

1. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

Did the majority of you guys know this?

From Wilbon in Lebron James Effect: Gotta Watch

With LeBron and the Heat in the championship series, the NBA Finals has a chance to be the highest-rated and most-viewed Finals since the Orlando-Houston series in 1995 or even the Bulls-Portland series, Jordan's second Finals, in 1992.

This might be a poorly phrased question, but, "Why was it?" It's pretty surprising to me.

2. arubato

arubato Member

Shaq vs Dream

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

may not be the highest rated finals, it said "since" the '95 Finals, which is possibly the highest in 20-25 years. I find it hard to believe it was the highest, where we've had Lakers/Celtics twice in the past 4 finals.

I think the casual fan was interested in the underdog it was for the Rockets and actually had a chance of beating the Magic. I know the Knicks with the 8th seed made it to the finals, but most knew they didn't have a shot vs. the Spurs.

4. AFS

AFS Member

I think you misread the quote. It looks like that quote is implying the Bulls-Portland series was higher rated than the Orlando-Houston series, but the Orlando-Houston series was the highest rated since 1995. Regardless, that quote is not saying the Houston-Orlando 95 finals was the highest rated ever.

1 person likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Shaq vs Hakeem was huge in the build up.... of course, Shaq was no big deal for the talent level Hakeem was capable of.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

95 was amazing
    so many stars, jordan, dream, malone, stockton, barkley, kj, shaq, penny, ewing, reggie, robinson, rodman ,etc

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1995.html

League Playoffs
    Finals (4-0): Houston Rockets over Orlando Magic

Eastern Conference Finals (4-3): Orlando Magic over Indiana Pacers
    Western Conference Finals (4-2): Houston Rockets over San Antonio Spurs

Eastern Conference Semifinals (4-3): Indiana Pacers over New York Knickerbockers
    Eastern Conference Semifinals (4-2): Orlando Magic over Chicago Bulls
    Western Conference Semifinals (4-3): Houston Rockets over Phoenix Suns
    Western Conference Semifinals (4-2): San Antonio Spurs over Los Angeles Lakers

Eastern Conference First Round (3-1): Chicago Bulls over Charlotte Hornets
    Eastern Conference First Round (3-0): Indiana Pacers over Atlanta Hawks
    Eastern Conference First Round (3-1): New York Knickerbockers over Cleveland Cavaliers
    Eastern Conference First Round (3-1): Orlando Magic over Boston Celtics
    Western Conference First Round (3-2): Houston Rockets over Utah Jazz
    Western Conference First Round (3-1): Los Angeles Lakers over Seattle SuperSonics
    Western Conference First Round (3-0): Phoenix Suns over Portland Trail Blazers
    Western Conference First Round (3-0): San Antonio Spurs over Denver Nuggets

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Keep in mind that the 90s was basically the peak of NBA popularity. So it doesn't surprise me if the 95 finals was higher rated than the Lakers/Celtics matchup in recent years.

That said, I can't possibly believe the 95 finals could possibly be rated higher than the 96 finals. That one had the 72-win Bulls with Micheal Jordan's first true comeback. If I had to guess the highest rated finals in the past 15 years, that would be the one.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

9. Spankie

Spankie Member

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think he meant the highest non jordan final.

11. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Yeah...Here is a more accurate Source concerning Finals Ratings.

Here is a graph provided in said site:

[​IMG]

Link above has more detailed information.

Spurs vs Cavs Finals was hilariously bad.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"