1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. uchlha

uchlha Member

There is no way in hell our team is going to improve from this trade... Rafer's defense and running the team is worth more than having Brooks or Lowry starting to score some points.

The Nets game even showed that... with Rafer on the floor, Harris was contained, when Brooks was in Harris let it loose..

We thought our PG situation was bad... now its abysmal.

2. leebigez

leebigez Member

This is what has become of players in houston. Since the tracy-yao era, thy have been surrounded by avg to below avg players at best. Not too long ago, people were speaking the praises of chuck hayes, then when we get 2 guys that can actually play, we look back and see how bad he really was. Rafer has been manning the point since the rox got him and we have suffered with a guy that plays 20 games a year where he shoots 40% and people are worshipping him. i've never thought rafer was the starting pg on a contender. Now thats not saying brooks is either, but at least brooks is productive now and has upside. Lowry has upside too. The team shouldve made this move this summer and if they were smart, this next summer they will send Battier packing or on the bench. We shouldnt overblow mediocrity and accept it. Hayes is on the bench,Rafer is traded, now all we have to do is get rid of mr intangibles and the transformation will be complete.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

boy are you going to be disappointed.

4. hmittal

hmittal Member

Lets blame everything on Tracy McLady! I like that idea! lol

5. benvolio

benvolio Member

Deal doesn't make since to me.

Lowry can't shoot 3s a well as Rafer...wasn't that the big knock against him?

How does bringing in an even worse shooter help?

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

rookie...please..pleas..do some research....

THTAS LIKE SAYING YAO MING CAN HIT HALF COURT SHOTS WITH 80 PERCENT ACCURACY.

Cook is totally useless. He can't play at all.

7. albuster

albuster Member

What was Morey thinking? Lowry has inferior numbers overall compared to Alston!!

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

If these numbers are accurate, it wasn't a money move:

Lowry: $1,163,520, $2,034,996,
    Cook: $3,500,000, $3,500,000 (player option)
    Alston: $4,900,000, $5,250,000

We'd save a couple hundred thousand this season but add about the same amount next season.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

1) Rafer is very overrated defensively

2) Rafer does a horrible job running the offense

that being said, i think they couldda gotten more for skip

10. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Word up dawg

11. BossRolen

BossRolen Member

WHYYYYYY MOREY WHYYYYY

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

At first glance, I don't like this trade. I'm going to miss Rafer even though he could drive me absolutely crazy. While he was wildly inconsistent, he could occasionally be really good as well as one of the major personalities on the team.

However, as much promise as this team has had the past five years, this was a make or break year for the current roster. If they couldn't get out of the first round, injuries or not, Morey had to look at blowing up the TMac-Yao team.

Clearly with TMac out, we're not going deep in the playoffs (assuming we make them, which I do). Maybe we get lucky and take down the Blazers or Nuggets in the first round before getting destroyed in the second round. While it would be nice to advance, a cap of maybe the second round is not good enough at this point.

This trade is probably the start of a multiple season effort to retool. Artest will be gone in the summer, and we have a ton of assets to trade. Expiring contracts like Lowry, Cook, and TMac as well as solid chips in Scola, Landry, and Brooks. Nobody but Yao is safe from this point out.

Maybe we'll be major players in the free agent bonanza of Summer 2010, or maybe we pick up a star via trade before then.

I need to let this trade digest for a while, but I will miss Rafer. Good luck in Orlando, Skip!

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

are you sure??? isn't cook on his rookie contract???

14. macalu

macalu Member

Rafer isn't an all star, but he was what this team needed. he can run the offense efficiently. i'm not liking this trade at the moment.

15. lamjimmy

lamjimmy Member

NO NO NO NO ... brooks will get posted up like crazy wtf is going on.... we better get a point guard out of this bull crap!!!!! rockets BULL CRAP

16. BossRolen

BossRolen Member

Blame Tracy.

17. thesaint

thesaint Member

This trade does not make any sense. Lowry is not better than Alston.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Kyle Lowry by the numbers:

7.6 ppg
    41.2 FG%
    24.6 3pt%
    3.6 apg
    21.9 minutes/game

This guy sucks.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

man all of a sudden rookies are posting like mad...where did they come from??? lol

20. ASERED95

ASERED95 Member

I'm still not to sure about this trade rafer was doing pretty good w/o tmac but he is very inconsistent at times and drives me crazy when he misses wide open threes and his lame floater. However, he is very good at defending and handling the ball. This Lowry kid sounds familiar but i cant remember his game i just remember matt bullard saying his name lol Cook was pretty efficient in his laker days...overall pretty unnecessary trade for the Rockets but who knows what else is in store :rolleyes: