1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Jordan Hill to Lakers for Derek Fisher, 1st round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thino, Mar 15, 2012.

?

Do you like the Jordan Hill for Derek Fisher+first rounder trade?

1. YES

359 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. NO

283 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Not free. The reason the lakers gave us the first round pick is because Fisher has a player option next year that he will prob. pick up cause no one is gonna give him more then the a mill in the open market.

2. RedNation

RedNation Member

At least we have someone who can TAKE and MAKE clutch shots. Whenever the lakers played us and fisher threw up a three, I would be terrified because I knew it was going in. Now we have the guy who can hit threes on other teams. And we have Stern's enemy. And we have a pick. And kobe is unhappy. What is there not to like.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Fisher may not even show up. Check Morey's interview on the radio this morning.

4. CDave

CDave Member

The Lakers gave up a draft pick that is "fenced off" for the next five years and will probably result in a late to very late first round pick this year.

The Lakers simply couldn't afford to keep three point guards on the payroll after they acquired Sessions yesterday. They tried to trade Blake in a three way deal for Michael Beasely which would've secured Fisher's roster position but when that fell through, this deal was plan b.

And I agree with you. If he were fortunate enough to receive a contract it would be for the vet minimum.

But that's next year. Right now he can help a team trying to make the playoffs a lot if given the chance.

The guy's a winner. He can't give you much more than 15 to 20 mins per game, but he can hold his own that way, game in and game out.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

No, Morey never makes a mistake, right? OK, then exactly what was the point of keeping these guys around for the last two years? It doesn't matter how they were acquired and for whom or what - the point I'm making is to what purpose were they here? Could they play? No. Did they improve the Rockets' fortunes in any way, shape or fashion? NO. So exactly WHAT was accomplished by having them here? All that you've confirmed is what I have maintained for years now: that the process of acquiring players on the cheap i.e. pennies on the dollar - is a nice way to watch the years slowly pass by while watching other teams make the moves to become contenders.

Again, I AM NOT COMPLAINING about the deals. While I remain underwhelmed about what transpired, I really don't have much emotion invested in the process to complain. I was merely expressing my POV.

Hey, if dealing for the likes of Camby and Fisher make you happy, then go for it. I am happy for you. Somewhere down the line - years from now - I am sure that Les and Morey will finally reward your patience and understanding with a team that actually has a legitimate chance of contending. I hung in there for 24 years before that first championship so I know just how you feel.

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I like it because we get a draft pick and with Camby, Hill was no longer needed for the backup C role anyway.

Hopefully, something is done so Fisher never wears a Rockets uniform. I don't like any facet of his game, although I hear very good things about him off the court.

7. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

buyout is official.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

great news!

9. loveofthegame44

If the mavs finish with a top 10 record this year, how many first round draft picks to we have? Knicks pick top 3 protected, mavs pick possibly top 20 protected and do we have one or is that the one we used for twill?

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

While I have disliked Derek Fisher for many years, I sure hope whoever they dig up to play PG behind Dragic hopefully will be at least as good as Fisher. And Anthony Carter isn't.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think Fisher is a minus on the court. I can't think of one single PG in the league that he's capable of defending. He's just way to slow these days.

12. valorita

valorita Member

How much was the buy out?
    Compare that with Hill's salary and it will tell you how much it cost to get the Dallas 1st round pick.

Example: J Hill = 2.85million, Fisher = 3.4 million. If buyout was 2 million, then we basically traded J Hill for the Dallas pick + ~1 million cash.

Not bad Murray. Not bad.

13. tigernet

tigernet Member

This calculation is not correct. We only need to pay J Hill's contract for the rest of the year which is less than $0.95 M, Fisher has $1.1M left for this year and $3.4 Year for next year.

I don't understand why we release Fisher, but pick up Athonie Carter who is not belong to this League.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Who cares how good he is, I want his invaluable veteran leadership and huge nutsack in the playoffs.

I want him guarding Kobe for stretches If we see the Lakers in the playoffs.

15. supa

supa Member

I hope that was a joke

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Fisher and Kobe have played thousands of games of one on one against eachother. If anyone can throw off Kobe a little bit, it's the tree stump defender that is Derek Fisher.

He may not be able to guard quick point guards, but he can be a stud defender on certain players, ala Jason Kidd.

17. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

AM I the only one who wouldnt mind him on the team? lol

18. mazinger

mazinger Member

Yes you are

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Fish ain't hitting the three like he used to... down to only 32% this season.

20. supdudes

supdudes Member

My initial reaction to the trade:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/im_5QdHp04E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My reaction to the buyout:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/paw_2EJBzFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:grin: