1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets steal another player from the Lakers: BJ Young signing with Rio Grande Valley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kakaman, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kakaman

kakaman Member

We president now

2. rogower

rogower Member

The real story is, Why aren't all other teams cleverly stashing/accumulating raw(er) prospects in the d-league, and treating it as a true minor league pipeline?

The Lakers should have signed Young and stashed him in the d-league rather than give contracts to completely terrible veterans like Nick Young, Jordan Farmar, and Chris Kaman.

Everybody realizes how terrible the Lakers are going to be this year, right? I will be shocked if they manage to top 30 wins.

3. kakaman

kakaman Member

The Lakers are like the Yankees or the Cowboys, they don't do developing players. It's win now every single year.

As for why other teams aren't using the D League as a minor league system to supplement their current team, the reason is not every team owns their D League affiliate, so they don't have that pipeline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Development_League#Current_teams

As you can see, 2 of the D League teams are basically where the teams that do not have D League affiliates dump their players.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Young signing with the Vipers was expected, but my question is -- if another NBA team expressed real interest, why did he sign with the D-League team of an NBA squad that has four point guards ahead of him?

I know he's more of a combo guard, but I'd say his future is point at his size.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Goodbye Lin?

(I'm joking, I'm joking, I'm Joking...don't taze me bro).

6. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Im no soccer expert but doesn't Barcelona and all the other premier soccer teams buy young prospects very early?

7. kakaman

kakaman Member

The other way around for Barca. Barca has a world famous youth training ground called La Masia where they send a lot of players to other teams because it's hard to break out to the Barca first team. Examples include Cesc Fabregas and Gerard Pique (both now back with Barca), Mikel Arteta, Gio Dos Santos, etc. They do make large purchases like Neymar, but for the most part it's for proven stars.

You are probably thinking about a team like Arsenal that loves to buy undiscovered youngsters that end up playing for their 1st team.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe Young is confident that he can beat out the 4th PG. Young certainly has spent some time in the system and around the players on the team. Or perhaps he prefers to use Vipers as a way to showcase himself to the NBA. Not to mention, players really love the Rockets run and gun offense.

9. kakaman

kakaman Member

Also Beverley and Brewer are Arkansas alums. Who knows, AB is probably not a factor and the writing is on the wall with Lin. Young may get a roster spot as early as next year.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess you'd have to assume that even if there was interest no real offer was made. You'd have to be crazy to pass up signing with another NBA team in order to sign with a D-League team.

The Lakers are sitting at 15 roster spots now with 14 guaranteed. I'd assume that the Shannon Brown situation is something they want to keep an eye out for in the next couple days as well. My guess is the offers were strickly coming with a D-League guarantee and thats it. If the Lakers said they would waive E. Harris and give him a contract instead as the 15th person on their roster, he'd be dumb not to take it.

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Thats the most likely explanation I can think of, but the article made it sound like he had several options, including NBA teams, but chose the Vipers. This makes me wonder

1)what kind of money/extra benefits the rockets get when they sign players to their d-league team that they had previously cut?

2) What is the d-league salary cap?

3) Is it absolutely out of the realm of possibility that a player would think the better career move is to develop in the d-league as opposed to sit as 15th man on the bench in the nba for a season?

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We should've went after earl Clark.

13. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Because most D-league teams are a waste of time for young players, they rarely, if ever get called up. The ones that have talent would rather play in Europe, where the salary and competition is better.

The Vipers are one of the few well-managed D-League teams that is a proven pipeline into the NBA. The chances of getting NBA playing time are way above average.

14. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

We needed the cap space to sign Howard. If we did get Clark, we'd have to cut one of D-Mo, Jones, or Greg Smith.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Actually looking at his size from the pre-draft measurements, he's surprisingly not that small, at a shade under 6'4 with a 6'8.25 wingspan, he practically has the size of a prototypical SG.

In terms of size comparison, he's identical to Eric Gordon, who doesn't seem effected by his size.

16. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

You tell me:
    http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/5/3/4296092/examining-the-low-pay-of-nba-d-league-players
    While the minimum salary for an undrafted rookie in the NBA for the 2013-2014 season is $490,180.

Is signing a D-League contract that probably tops out at $25K a year a better career move than signing for at least $490K to be the 15th man on an NBA team? I think the answer is obvious.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Geez @ $13,000.

18. NotChandlerParsons

I think the reason is because teams are cheap and not good at developing talent. Keep in mind Morey is generally handing out a couple ten thousand dollars in guaranteed money to these players in exchange for their D-League rights.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Because the Vipers/Rockets have a history of developing NBA talent through the D-League, something no other teams really do. We will probably compete for the D-League championship and he can showcase his talents on a good team, and hopefully get signed by the Rockets or any other of the NBA teams.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

daam 25k vs 490k? his (gold digging) gf must've gone off after hearing that news