1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Damon Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyde22, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

2. j-bone

j-bone Member

This whole Moochie situation is starting to scare me. Why would the Rockets sign Damon Jones if they knew that they would re-sign Mooch?

3. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

That is an interesting signing!!! I like that one. Jones is a good player that I was impressed with last year when he played the Rockets. Maybe the Rockets have gotten tired of Moochie and Fegan?

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

WOW...I would take this to mean that Mooch is gone and we are going to end up taking on Sura's contract. I may be wrong but I wouldnt think that we would be able to pay Mooch and Sura for the next 3 years would we? Damon Jones might provide a good "bang for the buck"

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Maybe, there's a sign & trade, involving Moochie, coming.

6. NJRocket

They should send Fegan over to Afghanastan to negotiate with the Taliban.

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

When will we know? He said that he will have it straightened out by this week. Bye Moochie, we will miss the fro. I can't wait to see what the Rockets do with everything. I am stoked!!!!!!!!!!

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Since Fegan is being an @ss and asking for a sign-and-trade if he doesn't get his demands, I think that CD and Co. are about to give him his wish and send Mooch packing. Mooch better step in and say something, or he's off to the Warriors or something. This is a very good signing, this guy gives us depth at both backcourt positions, and an outside shot.

9. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

NJRocket:

I tend to agree with you. The writing does seem to be on the wall. What really pi$$e$ me off is that Moochie lied to me. I very first encounter with the man and he freakin' lies to me.

I love his game, but it's time to tell Fe(a)gan, to "don't let the doorknob hit ya, where the good Lord split ya."

No freakin' sign and trades either. Sign or leave. Bottom line.

:mad: :(

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I take a signing of Damon Jones to mean clearly that Mooch is not playing w/ Rox this season - which really really SUCKS :( :( :confused:

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Is Jones a lock to make the roster? Don't forget, Darren Kelly will be one of our reserve guards. :D ;)

12. Dickerson

Dickerson Member

mooch is gone - who cares???

cĀ“mon, the rockets will not going to suck this season, only because mooch is gone!

13. Sweet P

Sweet P Member

The real question though is how long Jones' contract is guaranteed? Maybe he only has a training camp contract. If someone else hadn't already picked him up for training camp before now, I can't imagine that his contract with the Rockets is guarenteed. That would mean that this is just insurance or possibly competition with Torres for the back-up 2.

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

With the uncertainty of Moochie's status, the signing of Jones, the rumors of S&T deals, the Drexler/Nuggets connection, the last two paragraphs of this article seem to be very interesting to me. Could there be something brewing?

http://insidedenver.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_836312,00.html

The team hired general manager Kiki Vandeweghe in August, and Vandeweghe has surrounded himself with assistants and consultants. Among them, assistant general manager David Fredman has been busy working the phones since joining the organization nine days ago. The Nuggets are, at the very least, listening to all offers.

"We are exploring a lot of options," Fredman said. "They include a multiple number of players. I think our philosophy has to be that while we're not up and trying to trade a lot of guys -- if you haven't been a playoff team, you can't have a lot of untouchables."

15. TIburon

TIburon Member

Well guys if thats the only way not to have anymore of Fegan clients so be it...

I love the guy called Moochie but at what expense...

He's(Fegan) already made it impossible to keep Dream, lost our best defensive player Shandon and it now looks like Moochie is gone....

Well bye, bye if he does leave hopefully its to Golden State...

Sign and trade that...

I'm tired of Fegan and hopefully we won't have to deal with him for a while after this goes down.... What "this" is...

Lets just get it done and get ready for the upcoming season...

So the roster could look like:

PG Francis; Jones
    SG Mobley; (Williams-?); (Sura-?); (Torres-???)
    SF Rice; Langhi; Morris
    PF Thomas; Griffin;(Taylor-out for season)
    C Cato; (Jackson-?); Collier

Take that for what is worth which is not much...

Well bye bye Mooch is been reall... Peace out homie...

16. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Damon Jones:

Let's continue to keep some perspective.

There will be signings throughout the NBA this week as the "practice rosters" are filled. I will admit that Damon Jones is a much more noteworthy signing than say .... Brown or Nwankwo .... but, put into perspective thsi is not really earthshaking in substance.

Utah for instance just last week signed David Benoit, Rusty LaRue, Randy Livingston, Etdrick Bohannon, Jamel Thomas, 2nd round draft pick (#53) Jarron Collins, and Kaniel Dickens to 1 year contracts .............. the kicker is ..... they are all one year, minimum, non-guaranteed contracts. They will practice, show their stuff and if there is a spot for them they will be given the opportunity to fill it. But if there is no spot, they will be let go faster than you can say Georghe Muresan.

Do you think Stockton was worried over is prolonged contract negotiations as these signings were announced?

Moochie:

IMHO he has bit off more than he should even be allowed to even chew. I like his game. I like his attitude. I like the team fit a lot. But if what is being said his true ... that he has been offered close to $2.5-$3M a year over multiple years and he is not jumping at it .... well, let's say he must have missed the pro ball lecture the day they discussed "finding a job you would kill for, then hanging on to it".

If Jackson's contract offer is radified and he becomes a Rocket, CD will pull the trigger on a less expensive version of Mooch in a heart beat. And, folks there are always less expensive versions at the second tier level.

CD made it plain he wants Mooch. Mooch, for all his talk is making it plain more and more that we are second fiddle to his quest of the moochest for mostest. This bluff game will be over the moment Marc Jackson's fate is decided. And, maybe before.

Alternatives:

1. Mookie for Walt
    2. Shammond Williams or facsimile of same

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I like this signing. We are sending Fegan and Moochie a message that we're not desperate for him, and we can run with a replacement at PG. Keep in mind Shammond Williams is still available. Maybe we can resurrect Mookie Blaylock's career if he comes here in a trade. GS is aching to get rid of either him or Sura. Remember Mookie used to lead the league in steals every year when he was with Atlanta.

Damon Jones is a good 3-pt shooter, with decent passing skills and ok playmaking skills. I thought that he was more suited to the 2 guard spot than the point. I would compare Jones to a poor man's Steve Francis, albeit a VERY poor man's Francis (kinda like the Wizard to Grant Hill comparisons).

Moochie and Fegan are acting like A-Rod and Scott Boras. Problem is that the Rockets hold all the cards. Moochie can either take him $2.5 mill and play here or else he gets shipped off for Mookie Blaylock, plain and simple. Expect something to happen soon. VERY SOON.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The sad part is I get the feeling that Fegan has been telling Mooch that the deadline is a bluff and the Rockets will eventually give-in.

Oh well. May I suggest to RT and CD a policy of not even considering players and/or draftees who have Fegan as an agent?

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I think Damon Jones belongs on an NBA roster somewhere. I got to see a lot of him as a Maverick the year before last, and he can score in bunches at times, and always displays a high level of intensity. Plus, he is a good three point shooter, and more importantly, he hit many at clutch times in the waning moments of games.

I think he is more than a "practice filler," but it's hard to be sure. Perhaps he will end up making the roster even if Moochie does return. Why couldn't he be the thrid PG option, also filling some spot duty at SG.

Who knows, we may see Torres fill the role of practice filler.

20. NJRocket

Im sick of this a-hole Fegan. He is treating the Rox like the girl in high school that wasnt that great looking, but you knew you could get whatever you wanted from her. Twice he has greased us up and slid it in and he is probably figuring we will put out for him again. I say, tell him and Mooch good riddance and lets move on because until this "ok-looking high school girl" turns into a high priced hooker, fegan will keep getting what he wants.

What the hell did I just say?