1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets Sign CBA Point Guard - Put Bull on IR

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rockets put Matt Bullard on the injured list today with a stress fracture in his back and signed Sean Colson of the CBA Grand Rapids Hoops.

Colson is 6'0", 175 lbs point guard who has played in the NBA with Atlanta and Washington in limited stints. He was a graduate of UNC Charlotte and played with Cuttino Mobley in Philly where he grew up.

He has averaged 22 points (2nd in the league) and 8 assists per game in the CBA this year.

With Francis' ankle still bothering him and Norris' bad arch on his foot, the Rockets apparently wanted some insurance.

------------------
    "You know what they say about the music business. Here today, gone TODAY!

- Chris Rock at the MTV Music Video Awards

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Hopefully he can become another Moochie!

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

We should have signed God Shammgod so he could "Shammgod" someone. If you know street moves then you know what Im talking about.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

4. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I would love to have God on the Rockets

------------------
    The NEW Cuttino Mobley Online

5. cson

cson Contributing Member

how long was he signed for & where can ya get more info on this guy?

------------------
    C-son

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I thought Isiah ran the CBA into the ground? Or was that the Pacers. Oh well.

Good to see someone survived.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<a href="http://www.clutchcity.net/news.cfm?NewsID=611">Bullard goes on IR, Rockets sign CBA's Sean Colson</a>

Two of Colson's teammates at Grand Rapids are former Rockets: Sam Mack and Stais Boseman.

The link also has a video clip of Colson when he played in the USBL with the Dodge City Legend.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

8. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

9. RocksMillenium

The CBA is still around, just not active. In fact, a few of the teams jumped into the IBL mid-season and are still playing there.

------------------

10. wizard

wizard Member

I was hoping we can sign Felipe Lopez since he's a pretty productive player when given a chance and also can get a hook up to my favorite team(bias opinion). Hopefully someone out there pick him up.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wizard (edited February 27, 2001).]

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Looking at his CBA stats. He has scored alot of big scoring games. He had 47 points in one game.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

12. RocksMillenium

Colson is 6'0", 175 lbs point guard who has played in the NBA with Atlanta and Washington in limited stints. He was a graduate of UNC Charlotte and played with Cuttino Mobley in Philly where he grew up.

Oh wow, I remember that guy! I knew his name sounded familiar, and the UNC Charlotte thing jogged my mind. He is a pretty fast PG who can score in bunches. He is a real good passer and is a smart player. I think that the reason that he didn't get drafted was he was considered to small. He will be a nice addition.

By the way, he was on Charlotte a few years back when they were and 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament and almost knocked out the #1 seed, Vince Carter-led North Carolina Tar Heels. The guy broke down Carolina's defense He's good.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited February 27, 2001).]

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The CBA has actually filed for bankruptcy, and is no longer playing any games...

But the Hoops, Pride, Steelheads, Lightning, and Skyforce all joined the IBL about a month ago...

Kind of sad, but I guess it wansn't really going anywhere...

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting note passed along to me by Brian Zartarian: Not only did both Mobley and Colson star in high school ball in the same city, but they were teammates at Rhode Island for a year. Colson played for Rhode Island in 1994-95 before transferring to UNC-Charlotte.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Jeff, Clutch, Achebe, Aelliott, anyone:

Not to be cynical, but could this be a trial run for a cheaper back-up point guard in case we need to free up an extra million or half million for C-Webb? (I like Moochie and would miss his 'fro somethin' fierce. But not as much as I would miss losing out on C-Webb.)

------------------

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Supposedly Felipe Lopez will be signing with the T'Wolves. They waived Todd Day today in order to make room.

------------------

17. StanDMan

StanDMan Member

We will miss Bull, but his injury is fairly serious. Hope the Rockets can keep up good play. Hope this doesn't hurt Bull's chances of getting a contract offer for next year.

------------------
    Matt Bullard Fan Club
    www.AirBullard.com

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Ok, let's give it up for the new guy. Now, let's all turn around and pay attention to me again.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Sacramento article on Webber mentioned his best friend is one Kevin Colson. Any connection, or a freaky coincidence of last name?

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

20. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I was wondering the same thing. A small forward goes on IR, and we sign a PG when Francis plays Iron Man minutes and Moochie, as far as I know, is healthy?

Seems odd to fill Bull's roster spot with a PG, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

------------------