1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Should Target Yi Jianlian

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigkstrong, Jul 3, 2007.

1. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

It is well noted that Yi doesn't want to play for Milwaukee. Milwaukee is looking to upgrade at PG. It makes sense for the Rockets to go after Yi and bring him to a city with an obvious Chinese presence and culture and pair him up with Yao. I would love to see the Rockets offer Rafer Alston (and drafts picks or other players) and get rid of the log jam at PG. We definitely would get the athleticism, size and shooting that is desired at the PF position. Tell me what you think.

2. huynhct

huynhct Member

ive never thought of this before. you are correct

3. FFz

FFz Member

I think we need more defense and rebounding than what Yi has to offer. Plus Bucks won't do it. The only reason they made the pick anyway was because he sells tickets.

4. AkeemTheDreem86

I've been naturally reluctant to fancy this idea for the simple fear of the Rockets turning into the Chinese National Team (which sucks), but this actually does make sense... He isn't ready to start though, and another back-up PF is just sort of walking in place...

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The Rockets should do it....then we would have
    two allstar starters every year........yea Baby!

6. AkeemTheDreem86

I thought we already did...

7. thedsz

thedsz Member

The Yi Team would rather move Yi Seattle than to have him shadow Yao.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Tmac is an allstar but is not voted to start every year
    like Yao is.....with all the Chinese votes we would take
    over the allstar game..... :cool:

9. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

What current Rockets net you Yi Jianlian? Please explain in some detail and be specific as to why Milwaukee would want these players?

10. thedsz

thedsz Member

So by your logic we're already the Greek National Team and putting two Chinese players on the team somehow makes the entire team suck? Your logic is baffling :confused:

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Dan Fegan wants no part of Yi in Houston.

He wants his client to shine, not to be "the other Chinese guy" under Yao's shadow.

(And please... no more Dan Fegan clients please)

12. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't know how trading drafts rights and salaries work according to the CBA. Daryl Morey can figure it out. Milwaukee may be forced to get rid of him if he threatens to go back to China. They can merely try like they did with Rashard Lewis, when they had no chance.

13. BBall Scientist

I would assume that bad contracts would have to be taken on, plus future draft picks sent out.

Brooks could probably replace Boykins. But they just might re-sign him. If they re-sign Boykins and Williams they have no need for a PG. Williams is better than Alston anyway.

They have two horrible contracts on the team in Gadzuric and Simmons. Morey won't want to touch Simmons with his injury history.

Maybe Bob Sura's expiring contract of $4,160,000 (the real amount) with just $1,000,000 guaranteed, plus a future first round pick in exchange for Yi and Gadzuric.

It would save the Bucks about $26 million in salary to Gadzuric and not cost them anything since Sura will be covered by insurance. It would also clear about $5.7 million in cap for them, maybe they can sign Darko then who knows? If anything it makes re-signing Williams and Boykins a hell of a lot easier for them. Plus they would still get a draft pick later on. Really that's a damn good deal for the Bucks and there aren't too many teams that have a contract that can dump as much salary as Sura's can.

Gadzuric has a ridiculous contract but at least the Rockets would have a backup C for the next several years once Mutombo finally retires.

It would basically be coughing up about $8 million for Yi and Gadzuric, which is probably about the same cost as Darko would be. But it's probably much easier to land Yi at this point.

Of course then we have a 19 year old PF, albeit one that reminds me a bit of Pau Gasol when he was younger, so huge upside.

14. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

Not going to happen. Ever. Yi would never want to play alongside Yao Ming. He wants his own space and limelight, not to share or hide behind Yao.

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Breaking news just in from the station Skip is not an upgrade to Mo Will. who was a border line all star last year Chauncey would be an upgrade not Skip. It most definantly would take Battier to get a deal done and I am afraid that is just not worth it. Darko, J.Smith, or C-Webb will attempt and I stress attempt to correct our Power Forward problems.

16. BBall Scientist

Webber's done. He makes Yao look like an Olympic sprinter.

17. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Oh thats right I must have missed something since I was under the impression Mac has been an All star the last 7 years in a row. :rolleyes:

18. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Sorry I have been double and triple posting way too much lately. But I never said that is what I wanted I would not be shocked and almost expect Webber to end up in Rocket Red. I would want to kill myself but it is such an easy bailout move I would not doubt it.

19. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Darko or Jianlian........or any good solid Prospect PF. I hope they dont sign another oldie..........

20. BBall Scientist

True, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.