1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets on pace to break 3 point record, not first 3 point record broken by Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Mar 22, 2013.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

We all know the Rockets are 3-happy. This is why we tied and SHOULD HAVE broken the record for 3's in a game (**** you Mark Jackson), and are on pace to break the league record for 3's in a season. We already broke the franchise record set in 2007. However there are 2 other records the Rockets set in terms of 3's in a game (since broken but still interesting nonetheless). First is Rick Barry, who like his son Brent finished his career in Houston, set the league record with eight 3 pointers in the first year the 3 point line was introduced, against none other than the Utah Jazz at the Summit. It's interesting because very few players at the time (even Larry Legend) seldom used the 3 point line at the time (There was ONE 3 point field goal in the entire 1980 Finals series) and Barry was known to hit the corner 3 quite well. He finished 2nd in the league in 3's I believe that year. Next is the Jet (no not the one that got obliterated by LeBron the other day, though that was fun to watch!) Kenny Smith who drained 7 threes in the Finals in '95, breaking the previous finals record of 6 by MJ, one of which to force OT after Nick "The Brick" Anderson missed 4 FTs and we know what happened from there. Before that though, the previous franchise record for Houston was 19 3s in Game 2 of the first round vs. Utah, where Kenny also had 7 3s and tied the series and of course we came from behind to shock them. One thing to note about the 3 point line back then was it was noticeably closer than it was the season before as well as after 2002 or so, in an effort to increase scoring by the NBA front office. Yeah, just a little bit of backstory on the Rockets and their 3 point history. If you couldn't tell I'm pretty much a Rocket historian haha

2. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

Lets do kisses

3. prs325

prs325 Member

Jon also finished his career in Houston

4. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

Anyone know how far off we are to breaking the 3s in a season record?

5. Damion Laverne

Good post, but...

The three-point arc has been the same (23ft-9in in the middle and on the wings, 22ft in the corners) distance since it was first introduced in the fall of '79.

There was a period of three years (1994-97) where the three point arc was modified to a uniform 22ft in an effort by the league to increase scoring.

6. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

So tough to read that. Please use paragraphs next time. My eyes are killing me

7. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

@Damion Isn't that what I said? Lol

@Sadat X haha my bad it was late.