1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets & Key Opponents Strength of Schedule Thus Far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Something to be optimistic about.

Summary
    Rockets have had the 5th most difficult schedule in the NBA thus far. With 30 games remaining we have the 15th most difficult/easy remaining schedule in the NBA. Which means the rest of our games will be easier than the ones we've played (on average).

We still have 2 games against the Warriors, 1 vs Bucks, 1 vs Denver, 1 vs Raptors, 1 vs Celtics. I consider our record in these 6 games to be a barometer for how we'll do in the playoffs.

Key Opponents
    Key opponents with easy schedules: Utah. They have an extremely easy schedule, beware of them catching up.
    Key opponents with difficult schedules: OKC and Denver. This is great news, though Denver will be healthier to end. We have an easier remaining schedule than ALL teams sitting above us in the West standings right now.

Key trade partners with difficult schedules: Brooklyn and Miami. Might make them more flexible in trade.

Thoughts
    I take this as we have an excellent opportunity to STILL nab 3rd or even 2nd seed on the back of a couple of acquisitions and an easier schedule. On the other hand, I know some of you feel we are actually worse when the schedule is easier.

If we maintain our current winning percentage (.577) we should finish 17-13. I think that with the right acquisitions, easier schedule and already improved roster, we can go 23-7 the rest of the way.

Is that too optimistic?

#1 Mathloom, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chris Paul's fragile nature is always a concern. But if there are no significant injuries to the big 3 after the break, we are gonna go on a rampage at some point and go like 13-2 over a stretch and get to 50 wins. The west is still very mediocre after GS. A lot of really good, but not great teams.

OKC might stay ahead of us, but I would be pretty surprised if we don't have home court in the 1st round. Again, assuming health, which is a bigger assumption than usual with CP3.

joshuaao, Mathloom and Dankstronaut like this.
  3. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I'm thinking that James Harden & his Island of Misfit Toys has it in them to go at least 20-10 if they are all focused. This could change for better or for worse if there are significant changes coming up due to trades.

Wherever the Rockets end up in the playoffs, the teams on that side of the bracket will not be happy.

Mathloom and BigShasta like this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

23-7 would have the good guys finishing at 53-29. Lower, perhaps, than what many of us expected going into the season, but definitely enough to nab a top 3 seed in the West. I believe the Rockets can achieve this record if

James Harden continues his torrid pace. I'm almost not concerned about this at all, because I've come to expect incredible things from our MVP. He does have to watch out for fatigue though.

and

Chris Paul and Clint Capela are healthy. Despite Chris Paul's conditioning (or lack thereof) while he recovers from the hammy, his ability to spell Harden and help hold a late-game lead will be really important. And, of course, Clint is a key cog for us both offensively and defensively.

Our role-players need to hit shots more consistently, and perhaps help is coming via trade or pickup, but with Faried and maybe House, the roster is looking more complete than opening night. I'm optimistic as well.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nothing to add, just wanted to say awesome post, @Mathloom.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent work, Mathloom. It's an example of what seperates ClutchFans from the pretenders. Members not afraid of putting in some work and helping to inform the rest of us. :cool:

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

It really depends on what Morey can pull off in the next 3 days. This team isn't going anywhere with Ennis as the primary forward.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Wes Matthews would be a huge upgrade, even at his age, over Ennis.

Trade Deadline/Buyout Market is going to be huge for the Rockets.

Mathloom likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Not looking forward to the easier schedule... the easy opponents have beat the **** out of rockets this year...

Mathloom and Wooderson like this.
  11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I really like that analysis and agree but I think it is absolutely dependent on what Morey does this week and presumably next. If we **** the bed and play it safe I think that sends a bad message to the team, specifically Harden. After the crappy season the team has had this deadline with Capela coming back could be a huge jolt to the entire team and you want them to have that range of games to go on some big streaks to restore the teams confidence and style of play going into the playoffs.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

Came in here to say this. Would I be crazy to say an easier schedule scares me more? I mean, if you play at a consistently high level, then it's great, but name me any the big three Houston teams that does that.

Professional sports teams (not including the Browns, which I guess are still technically a sports team) are fully capable of punishing you if you play down to their level but try to hover one step above. If I was Harden, I'd be stressing to my teammates that they need to play like he's not going to be able to bail them out if they get in one of their typical holes in a game. Even if he probably can.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i think its actually starts from harden..when he thinks it will be a cakewalk his play is often substandard

if you noticed last night as soon as we get that huge lead harden started making lazy lackadaisical passes with that redundant flair and he made 3-4 turnovers in a row

14. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Who here doesn't fear CP getting injured again? For me, it's a fear I carry around as a fan, and if the Players feel the same way, this uncertainty is not good. I want to sleep CP finish the postseason strong, but true fear if it can happen. If Capella was in the lineup, honesty, I would have proposed that CP sit out until March. We can still do that and make playoffs, but the focus is on homecourt advantage.

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers fans believe that they are going to improve the rosters significantly, while other west teams stand still.
    Lakers are not interested in 4th or 5th seed after all. They want only 6th or 7th seed.

20-10 sounds right to me. Rest Gordon, Paul, Knight and Tucker for playoffs.
    50 wins at 4th seed

16. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. It's unfortunate that James has to be the heart and soul and benchmark for the team, but that's what it is. Hopefully, he can use those point buffers to take things a little easier on himself for a while by distributing more while not compromising the quality of his distribution with poorly-executed passes.

17. YaoMingsSoulja

The number 1 concern right now is getting Chris Paul healthy. Dont forget, the championship was ours before he went down with that hamstring injury. The trades dont matter, the record doesnt matter, homecourt (maybe) doesnt matter.

The only thing that matters is being 100% healthy and ready to go when the playoffs come around and making sure the team has had enough time to gel and create chemistry in the final half of the season.

CP3 is definitely worth the 40 million. He is the point god fellas! PRAY FOR GOOD HEALTH

18. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

The strength of schedule doesn't mean anything. This team has lost to plenty of trash/mediocre teams. It's funny that you guys still keep saying they're going to go on a crazy winning streak.