1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Q&A with Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 3, 2010.

1. rockets934life

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/q___with_rockets_general_man_2010_12_03.html

2. durvasa

durvasa Member

Funny guy. He and JVG would make a terrific comedy team.

Still requires other teams to think enough of your players to give you a real upgrade in return. Remains to be seen if that will happen.

#2 durvasa, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I thought that was pretty interesting. He sees the soft December schedule as the last stand on this season, apparently.

And, I would also infer from this that he doesn't (and perhaps never did?) thinnk this current roster has any hope of contending. If it did, one month of play would make a great deal of difference.

Finally, I think you cut off the most interesting part of the second selection you quoted. He goes on to say:

4. rockets934life

Your right, I thought I had bolded that part but guess I missed it.

Seems like we aren't tanking or taking on big contracts just to acquire talent...just my opinion from the comments.

5. durvasa

durvasa Member

In private, I doubt that he saw this as a championship-level team. He never outright said we couldn't contend, and he shouldn't. But there's a reason the Rockets were desperately going after Bosh and are going after Carmelo. They see the need for a talent upgrade. But do they have the pieces to get it done?

6. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I found this to be interesting......

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

Yeah. From an offensive efficiency standpoint he's correct. There are other factors too, like if you're shooting 32% on your field goals you're giving the other team more opportunities to get a long rebound and hurt you in transition. Also, shooting lots of 3s makes you more streaky. Late in games or when playing with a lead, you may want to cut back a bit.

8. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I surprised you and Bima are not working in the NBA in some fashion ;)

Majority of the times, you 2 back up information with not only statistics but some good viewpoints.

9. worzel gummidge

I won't be happy if Scola is traded especially for Bosh

With Lottery picks Morey's gotten Battier and 2Pat. His idea of big time acquisitions have been Rashard Lewis and Bosh.

Take a leave and come back in a few years when you know what a real superstar looks like and can get him.

Look up "Armstrong and Miller - Rude Shop Keeper" (NSFW) on Youtube.

Customer = Morey
    Shoe = Real Superstar
    Shopkeeper = Me/Rockets fans

That's how I feel about all this.

10. worzel gummidge

⇧ Sorry, wrong thread.

11. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Really, but we traded for Lee who played on the historically bad Nets,

12. CougarFan90

CougarFan90 Member

Hmmm.....??

Morey subliminally telling the players that if you don't peform well this month, come Dec.15th I'll trade your ass?

13. RV6

RV6 Member

Is he serious about the open tryouts? Are those at the beginning of the season or throughout the season?

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

NO... its what they call "dry humor"

15. Prince

Prince Member

DM always believe that we need a star to be a get to that championship level team.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey traded for him because he believed Lee was a bargain. "Reflects poorly on our players" means that other teams will undervalue our players, and that's bad. You want people to overvalue your players so you can trade them for something nice. I guess Morey believes that people tend to undervalue players on poor teams. That's why being a bad team doesn't help acquiring assets other than the high draft picks.

17. RV6

RV6 Member

It wouldn't surprise me with Morey...potential talent at a cheap price, but you're right. I missed the "elite" part.

18. heypartner

heypartner Member

Adding to Easy's response, it's pretty common knowledge that role players on contenders are overvalued. See Shandon Anderson.