1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] McHale explains why Jones didn't play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Nov 2, 2012.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Finally, some clearance! He says the other guys were already forgetting their assignments and figured Jones would be all hyped up and it would affect him even more. He's going in a round-a-bout way so I'm not sure if I got it right but it makes sense.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/kevin-mchale-11022012

2. BamBam

BamBam Member

Sounds irrational to me.........:confused:

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

There's no excuse.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

IF Jones plays tonight, it's possible (just saying "possible") that it was a teaching/discipline situation. Jones could have been late to a meeting or something.

McHale played Terrence extensively in the preseason, starting him a couple of times in fact. So random that he would start Marcus over him, and then not play him at all -- even when he went with two bigs (Asik and Smith) at the same time at one point.

1 person likes this.
  5. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Clutch, is that something that's 100% your own opinion or do you have some inside info or did you hear something about this whole situation?

6. catch22

catch22 Member

thanks clutch for this, i am sure you haven't heard anything just speculation :grin:

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's saying it is possible.

Also because the reasons he gave don't really make sense IMO.

He might be too hyped? Well that's going to happen whenever you put him in since it will be his first game, why not do that against the Pistons rather than the Hawks?

8. lookabove

lookabove Member

Not playing T-Jones last game really annoyed me, but cutting Livingston over Machado get me pissed off.

Hopefully T-Jones get some burn this game.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

Well at least we have an answer, and we should see him soon.

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, I've said all along that something didn't add up the other night. If Jones is part of the rotation tonight then I would guess you are probably spot on. It just seemed odd that Morris and Smith would get all the minutes. It also seemed strange that Bill and Bull didn't say anything during the game, maybe they knew what was going on, but didn't want to say anything on air.

11. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

The more I see of McHale as coach, the less I like him.

1 person likes this.
  12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Oh, but McHale's reason is still not justifiable as to why Jones did not play! Fire him!

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

100% opinion... I thought that was clear in saying "it's possible".

14. tofu--

tofu-- Member

McHale is just making excuses and I think all us fans can see through the BS. There's either another reason or he seriously has no clue what he's doing.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Not playing Jones = :confused:

Not cutting Douglas over Livingston = Pissed!!

Machado has high potential and a game that can be developed in the D-League. He's going to be a stud down there. Douglas just lucked out that Morey was so excited about getting Harden that he cut the wrong guy and it was too late once it was done. You know the next day Morey was slapping his head and calling up Livingston apologizing. Lol

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned possible trade talk:confused:

I don't think Morey is done upgrading the roster so this could also be a reason.

17. No Worries

No Worries Member

Morris and Smith both played a ton of D League games last year.

18. Orange1

Orange1 Member

Thank you NL Rockets for posting this timely video of coach M interview. In this video, M specifically told the reporter that right before James trade. Jeremy was informed about this trade. He was as happy as all of us here that he thanked coach M and mgmt for this trade. That really took a lot of extra loads from him. Coach M said both James and Jeremy are going to be good together.

Go Rockets. Team plays and unselfish plays will take us far and beyond.

19. jtr

jtr Member

This makes the most sense to me, at least with some unsaid secondary reasons. The entire offense had to be revamped between Saturday night and the Wednesday game. I imagine the rooks heads spinning round and round trying to take it all in. A scene straight out of the Exorcist.

But I don't think there is going to be immediate massive changes to the rotation. McHale may just move the new players into the rotation gradually. Both the coaching staff and the players are probably struggling with the changes. As McHale understands the implications of having Harden on the team, the rookies will play more. Adding more variables to the offense is probably not high on McHales list right now.

Everybody seems quite cool to the addition of Mchado (sp?). I am excited to see a pass first, assist machine playing PG with the second team in the next couple of years. I think that would be a wet dream to many NBA coaching staffs. And if he does not turn out well? No loss.

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Sure we are not showcasing Marcus Morris to Portland for LA.

;)