1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are the new Spurs circa... the last decade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by entirelydave, Aug 12, 2010.

1. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

I'll keep this simple.

Yao ----- Duncan (Post players who can score, rebound and anchor the interior defense.

Scola ----- Nesterovic, Oberto (Scola is obviously an upgrade at this position)

Battier ----- Bowen (defense stoppers who can hit the open three)

Martin ----- Ginobili (scoring 2 guards who can get to the free throw line and make them at a high percentage)

Brooks ----- Parker (smaller, quick point guards... finishing at the rim edge goes to Parker, outside shooting edge goes to Brooks)

Seems pretty similar to me. Like I said, I'm keeping this simple. Just an observation to DD's post.

3 people like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not bad at all, let's hope that we do as well as they did.

DD

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Pop > Adelman.

Defense wins championships.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love Clutchfans, because it's the only place on the planet where you can say:

Yao ----- Duncan

5. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

Also the only place things are taken so LITERALLY.

1 person likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Adelman took the Blazers to 2 nba finals vs legendary teams (Bad boy pistons and MJ Bulls)

Rick the Ruler would have easily coached Duncan and company to titles too

7. DaDakota

Dave,

Don't let the pessimists get to you.

This is gonna be a special year.

DD

8. MadMax

well, that's not true. people take things literally all the time in all sorts of places.

like this one time....i was at the store. and it said, "half off sodas." and I thought it meant sodas that were kinda like cut in half or something. but it didn't. it didn't mean that at all. it meant sodas for which the price had been cut in half. see, i never knew that. i read half off sodas and thought it meant half off sodas. who knew it meant something other than half off sodas? i like turtles.

the big difference is...those spurs were a dynasty because they had one of the very best players in the league anchoring the team down low...same way the rockets did in the mid-90's. i think comparisons of this squad to dynasties leaves something to be desired.

So when you say, Rockets are the new Spurs in the thread title...i know you don't mean they're literally going to be the spurs and wear black and silver...but i assume you mean, metaphorically, they're that caliber of team.

3 people like this.
  9. MadMax

yes...because unless you equate this squad to the dynasty of the San Antonio Spurs....

you are a pessimist.

i love that logic!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I hope this is true, just because the front office seemed to prioritize defense at the beginning of the offseason, what with Morey saying things like, 'we'll get back to our old defensive ways or we'll find new players to play defense.'

Maybe Ariza for Lee was a step in this direction?

I'm really holding my breath because while other years have started with more hype (I'm thinking about 2008 mainly), there's never been a season like this where I thought we could possibly get any seed from 1 to 8, and it has nothing to do with personnel but rather the system and how well our personnel gets it.

11. DaDakota

Oh, come on, we are having fun making comparisons of successful teams, and how that might equate to a nice run this year.

I know you think Yao is broken and needs to go, you have stated that lots of times.

Since it won't happen, just let that go before you become bitter like Leeb over Battier.

;)

DD

12. Yak

Yak Member

I'll keep this simple.

We are worse than that team at every position except PF.

13. MadMax

not bitter. love me some Rockets and will be rooting like crazy. anxious for the season to start.

but i can't let a comparison to a dynasty go. sorry.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'll keep this simple. 92 dream team vs. Rockets.

Yao ----- Robinson/Ewing (He is much taller and more polite, and does not even go to strip clubs).

Scola ----- Malone/Barkley (He has more rings, having won the Spanish Supercup 3 times....Karla and CB4 have none. ZERO!)

Battier ----- Bird (Bird had back problems and was done at this point)

Martin ----- Jordan (Martin not a compulsive gambler)

Brooks ----- Magic (smaller, quick point guard...Brooks, outside shooting edge goes to Brooks)

Seems pretty similar to me. Like I said, I'm keeping this simple. Just an observation to entirelydave's post.

2 people like this.
  15. DaDakota

This board has flipped so far to the cynical side, why crush hope before the games are played?

I guess it is easier and safer to not believe....

DD

16. MadMax

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SamFisher again.

I'm trying to draw up a derivative suit petition, and I'm distracted by this thread!

1 person likes this.
  17. MadMax

Crush hope?? :)

Look, this team could win the freaking championship and STILL not be as good as the dynasty the Spurs put together.

I disagree...I don't see it as cynical at all. I see it as accepting as Gospel anything that comes from Morey...and comparing this squad we've never see play together to one of the better teams that was assembled in my lifetime.

It's fine to be optmistic and think we have a winner here....but holy crap, to extrapolate that out to the freaking Spurs who won 3 titles with that bunch? I don't think it takes a cynic to think that's a bit much.

18. DaDakota

Before they won those titles they had doubts too.

Could Parker be a championship PG - almost shipped him out for Kidd.

Could Manu play under control - constant back and forth with Pop.

Could they win with Bowen's limited offensive capabilities.

But, they gelled, and played well, but I would not call them a dynasty, just a very good team those 3 or 4 particular years...sort of like the Rockets in their back to back years.

DD

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So who on our team is this guy?
    Chase?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. DaDakota

Yep, Clutch Budinger.

;)