1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are number one popularity wise in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Sep 3, 2002.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Well tied with the Astros actually. Ahead of the Texans ( :eek: ).

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/1558549

Sept. 3, 2002, 11:42AM

Phone poll: Football city's favorite sport
    By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle
    PHONE POLL RESULTS
    • What's your favorite local pro sports team?
    1. Rockets: 26%
    Astros: 26%
    3. Texans: 20%
    4. Comets: 12%
    5. Aeros: 2%
    Other/no answer: 15%
    • Note: Does not equal 100 due to rounding

As fans rev up for the Texans' regular-season debut Sunday at Reliant Stadium, a new poll of Houston-area residents shows that football is the city's favorite spectator sport.

A telephone survey of 508 residents of Harris, Fort Bend and Brazoria counties, conducted last week for the Chronicle by pollster Richard Murray of the University of Houston, shows that eight of 10 area residents express at least moderate interest in spectator sports and that football exceeds other sports in interest levels locally. However, residents still named the Astros and Rockets more often than the newcomer Texans as their favorite pro sports team.

Twenty-one percent of respondents express "very high" interest in spectator sports. Twenty-eight percent have high interest, and 31 percent express moderate interest, according to the poll, which has a margin for error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Murray, who also conducts political polls for the Chronicle, said he isn't surprised by the affinity most Houston-area residents have for sports. Nor is he surprised by the fact that football, the unofficial national sport of Texas, emerged from the poll as the area's most popular sport.

What may be surprising for some, he said, is the level to which sports interests have become fragmented as Houston's population has changed over the last two decades.

Although 73 percent of respondents express at least moderate interest in football, Murray said, "If we had asked this question 10 years ago, football would have ranked much higher.

"I think we have a pretty good sports community here, but we are seeing fragmentation in sports interests," he said. "Part of it is the changing demographics. The generation, for example, that grew up listening to Southwest Conference football is passing from the scene. There is an incredible array of choices now that people didn't have 10 years ago."

The poll's findings also reflect the frequently colorful, always unpredictable nature of sports in general and of Houston sports in particular.

For example, the second-rated sport behind football in terms of high and very high levels of interest is not baseball, the traditional national pastime, but basketball. Forty-four percent of respondents express high or very high interest in that sport, compared with 33 percent for baseball.

Taking the top three levels of interest into account, the totals are 73 percent for football, 71 percent for basketball and 60 percent for baseball.

Part of that difference may reflect the fact that the poll was taken last week, when baseball players were threatening to strike before reaching a settlement with owners on Friday.

But part also reflects a new interest in basketball spawned by the success of the two-time NBA champion Rockets, the four-time WNBA champion Comets, who have boosted the sport's profile among women, and the Rockets' recent drafting of Chinese star Yao Ming, who could become the NBA's first superstar of Asian descent.

Behind the big three of football, basketball and baseball, boxing had the highest level of fan affinity, with 50 percent of respondents expressing at least moderate interest, followed by soccer at 44 percent, tennis at 41 percent, golf at 40 percent and auto racing at 39 percent. Hockey, the fourth major team sport in the United States, trailed at 30 percent.

Among individual teams, 61 percent follow the expansion Texans very closely or somewhat closely. The Rockets also check in at 61 percent, followed by the Astros at 59 percent and the Comets at 39 percent. Twenty-six percent of respondents each lists the Astros and Rockets as their favorite team, followed by the Texans at 20 percent and the Comets at 12 percent.

Still, for a team that won't play its first official game until Sunday night at $449 million Reliant Stadium, the Texans are emerging as a strong fan favorite.

"It's good to see the passionate level for sports and for football in general," said Texans senior Vice President Jamey Rootes. "We don't go out with the intention of converting people. We have our plan, and we hope that fans will gravitate toward us as we put that plan into action."

But the Texans still have a way to go before they own Houston lock, stock and barrel. Thirty-nine percent of poll respondents identify the Texans as their favorite NFL team, but 15 percent favor the Dallas Cowboys -- the Texans' opening-game opponent this Sunday -- and 4 percent still cling to the Tennessee Titans, the former Houston Oilers.

Football's decline in Houston in the 1990s, coupled with the changing nature of Houston's population -- only 80 percent of current residents, Murray said, were born in the United States -- opened the door for other sports to take hold. Some are identified with a particular ethnic group, such as Hispanics with soccer, and Asians, since Yao's acquisition by the Rockets, with basketball.

Yao's addition to the Rockets, for example, apparently is a major reason they showed up so well in the poll despite the fact they failed to make the playoffs last season and finished last in the NBA in attendance.

"I think our fans are pretty resilient," said Tim McDougall, the team's vice president for marketing. "We've gotten a boost from Yao, but I think we also have a lot of diehard fans that are just waiting for the right team to give them some hope.

"We're working very hard to put out the invitation for people to come to our games and to be part of something big."

Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr., meanwhile, believes baseball's resiliency and the nature of the game will help it bounce back from difficult times caused by labor disputes in the last decade.

"Even when the Texans start to play, they're going to be playing only once a week," McLane said. "In baseball, it's a new story every day. A lot of the average fans are drifting toward football as the season approaches, but we have a lot of real solid baseball fans in Houston. No other sport can say that it draws up to 3 million fans a year."

RESOURCES
    Graphic:
    • How pro-sports is Houston?

Although the poll focused on professional teams, respondents also were asked to list their favorite college programs. The University of Texas had the largest contingent of hard-core support, with 20 percent of respondents describing themselves as "very interested" in the Longhorns' progress, but the top draw across the top two categories was the University of Houston.

Forty-five percent of respondents said they were very interested or somewhat interested in the Cougars, compared with 43 percent for Texas, 39 percent for Texas A&M and 33 percent for Rice.

That figure may come as a pleasant surprise to the UH athletic department, which is trying to boost attendance at Robertson Stadium. Murray, however, said fans are looking for something more from the Cougars, who were 0-11 in football last season.

"They've gotta win some games," he said, laughing.

Here are other findings from the Chronicle poll, broken down by sex, ethnicity and age:

Sex: Of the 508 respondents, 48.1 percent said they had high to very high interest in spectator sports -- 58.2 percent for men, 37.2 percent for women.

Football (at 60.8 percent) and basketball (49.4 percent) drew the most positive responses from men. For women, basketball topped the list of all sports at 38.9 percent, followed by football at 35.1 percent.

Race/ethnicity: Among all respondents, 38.9 percent had high or very high interest in spectator sports. African-Americans were the most enthusiastic fans, with 60 percent expressing high or very high interest and 28.9 percent describing themselves as moderate fans.

Among Anglo respondents, 46.4 percent fall into the first two categories, with 32.5 percent as moderate fans. Among Hispanics, 43.7 percent describe their interest in spectator sports as high to very high; 33.6 percent express moderate interest. For those of Asian or Pacific Island descent, the numbers are 38.9 percent in the high to very high range and 27.8 percent in the moderate category.

Soccer is the most popular sport among Hispanic respondents, with 49.5 percent expressing high to very high interest and 20.2 percent describing themselves as moderate fans. That range of interest was the highest for any ethnic group in any sport outside the big three of baseball, football and basketball.

Age: The very young and the very old express the strongest interest in spectator sports. Of poll respondents under age 25, 55.6 percent described their level of interest as high or very high. That goes to 51.4 percent for the 25-34 age group, into the 44 percent range for 35-44 and 45-54, to 21 percent for 55-64 and to 52 percent for those age 65 or older.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I just read that in the paper today. Its a good read, and kind surprising that there as much Astros supporters as the Rockets have.

Interesting to see how this statistics is going to be accurate by next year.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

1. Rockets
    2. Texans
    3. Astros
    4. Golf
    5. Fishing

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You know, I think I actually took one of those phone surveys. They called me up and asked me all these questions about sports...what my interest was, who my favorite team was, what my favorite sport was, etc....

Of course, the lady called me in the middle of a Rockets game, so after about 20 minutes I hung up on her! :D

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think it's decent considering the horrible ticket sales the Rockets gets. But Houston is mostly a fair weather sports city, so I can't expect much. :(

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No wonder the Rockets number is so low!:(

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A couple of years ago, I'd mention the Rockets while out and about in Houston and I'd get blank stares. Trying to whip up enthusiasm for the Rockets was not easy. But mention the word football? Faraway, wistful gazes.

I'm glad for the Texans but basketball in this town is a tough sell. Too many people move here from elsewhere and keep their old allegiances.

"We're Bulls fans. We're from Chicago."

"How long you lived in Houston?"

"Eight years."

"What about the Rockets?"

"Oh, we haven't visited NASA yet. We just never get around to it. But it's on our list."

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and ClutchCity.net is houstons favorite website!!!

9. aznlincolnpark

kool!!! to see rox have high rating

10. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I would put the Thunder Bears and a girls soccer team ahead of the never been outta first round of the playoffs Astros!

#10 Sofine81, Sep 3, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2002
  11. Chris01

Chris01 Member

Wow, thats pretty brutal. But fortuantly most would disagree. Im very surpised to see the Rockets with that much interest; alot no doubt stems from the Yao Ming pick, but I guess what ever works is good enough. Id rank it as follows:

1) Astros
    2) Rockets/Texans
    3) High School Football
    4) College Football (Gig'Em Ags!)
    5) Golf (watching, not playing- playing would make this higher).

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

1. Rockets (I better say this!)
    2. Texans
    3. Astros
    4. handball
    5. hunting
    6. fishing

13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

NASA! LOL!!!!!
    If you think that was bad, back in 1994 I was living in Maryland and no
    one cared that Houston won the title. Around that same time
    the Dallas Cowboys were the talk of the state! Either the Redskins
    or San Fancisco vs Dallas was on TV.

The Rockets 1994 World Champs...not a blip on the radar (O.J. Got
    more coverage).

CNN and ESPN tried to runs stories...to no avail.

I have to admit though, the 1994 Rockets teams weren't actually
    fun to watch (ugly ball). The nation wants offense, not ugly-ball
    defense.

The 1995 team was better because of Cylde, though (more fun to watch).

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow...the Aeros are still around? I haven't heard a thing about that team in at least a year.

15. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Chris can you tell me one thing the Astros have done to be the most popular team in Houston? They havent won ANYthing...They choke EVERY year. They pay Jeff "doesnt batsowell" WAYY too much money and Biggeo disappears in the playoffs...and they let Randy Johnson just leave for no good reason, I cant see anyone wasting their time with them!

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Truly spoken.

However, a true fan of the Astros will not abandon them just because they've never won anything. Hell, the Rockets have done exactly crap the last couple of years and most of us still love them just as much as ever. The Rockets can be 0-82 and most of true fans will love them just as much.

Failures and dissapointments make a championship even more satisfying.

17. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well thank you! However please dont confuse me with an Astro fan, I think it sucks that the City gave them a brand new home, I call Minute Maid Park The House That Playoff Chokes Built. Then We came within inchs of losing our beloved Rockets who brought 2 championships to Houston. Our building isnt even done yet! No Im not an Astro fan lol

18. Stevie Francis

after e whoop up the league we will be number 1

19. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

#1 AND #1 to exit the playoff (if your talking Astros)

20. franchise?..NOT

Who did they poll?. Clearly not the 138,000 plus fans who attended two PRESEASON football games to watch a bunch of rookie / washed up and never was football players get there butts handed to them. Football is king in Texas. Always has been and always will be.