1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets Analysis with concerns about Yaos shot selection (long read)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

I'm not ready to go into panic mode like most of this board yet. I told myself when the season started we probably wouldn't click until about late Jan/early February. I think what happened is a lot of people got overly optimistic after the 6-1 start not fully realizing that we had this tough schedule. With that said, im not ready to give this team a full pass yet either--some things definitely look bad.

However, take the fact, that we've been in EVERY game against our strong S.O.S. (maybe save for Phx) and I think there is some positive to take out of all this. On the negative, we've lost all our close games which (on the bad side) says we can't finish games. I think its important to consider we lost 3 of those games without T-mac and he still isnt 100%. Since hes gotten back, hes settled for that jumpshot a lot more.

The other positive/negative is that our jumpshooters are just missing WIDE OPEN shots. One would think that these guys have to get hot at some point right? I mean nobody and especially no 2 people have really been hot in the same game since..since I dont know when. :rolleyes:
    On the one hand, you figure, theyll get it going a little bit. On the other hand, you wonder, maybe these guys are just bad shooters. :confused:

A lot of people are complaining about our defense right now by just being box score and stat watchers. Right now it isnt quite as stout as last year, but

cmon, cmon, cmon

are you guys watching these games? Guys are making a lot of tough shots versus us. Last night Yao kept giving up the same drop step to shaq and that was a concern, but Wade was making insane shots down teh stretch. Id say our biggest problem on D right now is BAD FOULS. Were doing a lot of biting for pump fakes and picking up soem stupid fouls in general.

But Im gonna go out on a limb and attribute our poor defense to 2 things

1) Since right now were a "fake" good team with 2 stars, EVERYONE gets up for us. No matter what our record is, youll never catch a team like Dallas napping against us liek they did vs Indiana. Every night we have a bullseye on our back, so we have to be at our best.

more importantly

2) Were playing at a faster tempo, so were getting more shot attempts. This also gives the opposing team more shot attempts and liek I said in 1--theyre getting more shots--so teams are scoring more on us. With our faster tempo we CANNOT afford to be inefficent on offense. Were shooting in the bottom 7 from the field and from three.

This leads me to my next and final point. Yaos shot selection.

One thing that concerns me about him (especially at the end of games) is his high rate of jumpshots and shots GOING AWAY fro the hoop. Over the past while (since teh end of last season) hes gotten better and better again at the turn around jumpshot. This is a fake positive because while its a good shot, it falls at a rate of about 45-55% which to me is low for what he is capable of doing. When hes tired or especially at the end of games, the rate on this shot drops even more.

At one point last season (especially early before injury) Yao was starting to mix up that jumpshot with more power moves liek drop steps--putting guys in the torture chamber. Nowadays its turn around jumpshot, jumphook, or fake drive baseline. 2/3 moves go away from the basket (yes the jumphook is a fading away shot). Yaos gotta get back to that drop step. hey CANT call a afoul on you every single time. We need to get more power moves from him. I think this is where we'll miss Tom Thibodeau. I dont know how much Jack Sikma is emphasizing the post game to Yao. But if they really get back to that, and start being more patient, I think that can help a lot. The offense is so rushed right now. Whenever yao catches the ball its so frantic. They just need to calm down--catch teh ball hold it strong, make your move or pass. DONT RUSH....

Right now is not the time to panic. Im gona give this team until my original deadline. Id like to see Brooks in before I see stevie because he has teh ability to penetrate and hit the shot
    , where steve has the ability to penetrate (but doesnt) and cant hit a shot.

Lets just keep thinking posiitive and hope our shooters start hitting their WIDE OPEN SHOTS.

2. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

WHY you have to concern about Big Yao's shot selection?

Regardless of scoring from high or low post or from the free throw line, he is still the best offense weapon we have in this team.

WHY NOT worry about

• the shot selection of Tracy McGrady?
    • Why no more penetration from Tracy McGrady but chose to shoot his 1/3 3-pointer/long range jumpers?
    • Why all those other guards kept air-balling and missed their open looks?
    • Why Rick Adelman kept using Luther Head as point guard in 4Q?
    • Why the decline in defense, turning the Rockets from #1 best defensive team to a mediocre 20th placed defensive team?
    • Why Rick Adelman is not second-thinking on his rotation, giving play minutes to either Steve Francis or Aaron Brooks?
    • Why Rick Adelman is not a bit alarmed by the lack of intensity and the dramatic decline in defense, and only worrying that there is not sufficient production on offense?
    The list of concerns goes on and on.....and the shot selection of Big Yao should not be an issue at all. :rolleyes:

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

o really :rolleyes:

4. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Posted on a different thread but may make sense here:

My thoughts on Yao are this.

He's been officiated *so* badly and unfairly that he can't play anymore. Did you watch him just stand there with his hands up against Shaq? If he bodies up Shaq it is a foul. If he reaches to swipe the ball it is a foul. If he attempts to block the shot it is a foul. So all he can do is just stand there like a 7'6" stiff. Note that players do all the things above to Yao and almost never get called for a foul. Heck, they're even allowed to hit him across the arms or even in the face without impunity.

On offense, the slightest bump caused by Yao is an offensive foul. So now, he's turned into the tallest fade away jump shooter in the world. Earlier in his career, he had a spin move, could back you down, etc. Those things are all fouls now.

No wonder he is so upset and depressed. The officials jerk him around like a marionette.

Seriously, he should go back to China where he might get some respect and fairness in officiating.

5. SmitingPurpleEm

Guess who is to blame for this? ADELMAN. Along with a great many other things that are wrong with this team.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

When your 7'6' Center is becoming more one-dimensional by the game it is certainly ok to worry about that.

7. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

• Pryuen, I love the fact that you take the time to translate articles and contribute to the board, but please don't become a try to restrain from making threads into YOF v. TOF threads.

The shot selection of Yao Ming is a concern because we don't want a 7'6 shooting guard. If I want a shooting guard to play alongside T-Mac, then I trade Yao for Kobe Bryant who shots better than Yao and can stretch the defense to the 3pt line and attack the rim.

Yao is 7'6" and NEEDS TO PUNISH TEAMS down low. I don't think this is entirely his fault because the coaching staff is trying to play him on the high post, but something needs to change. I love it when I see Yao hit a turnaround from 15 feet out, but not when the game is on the line.

T-Mac also needs to attack the rim, but the TS has a legitimate concern about Yao's shot selection. You can't allow shorter defenders to push you out. Or else more and more teams will do it. We need to figure something out for that type of defense because where as one Dallas and Phoenix use to do it, now more teams are adopting it against us.

8. SmitingPurpleEm

The shot selection is a concern. But this is Adelman's fault for making Yao play soft, especially by planting him at the elbow. If we bring Gundy back the problem will go away, as we saw Yao pre-injury completely dominate in the low post. Yao's struggles are a direct result of Adelman's bankrupt coaching.

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i understand your concern.

but just to give u some facts, yao ming shot 51% last yr. he's shooting 51% this yr.

his go-to moves in the post have primarily been the fallaways even last yr like this yr. so it's still a "tough" shot.

his fg% will never be 55%+ even if he's in the low post.

but i agree, he should be in the low post more

10. Shawndme7

Pryuen,

Im probably a bigger Yao fan than you lol. This wasnt so much a Yao sucks thread...But Yaos shot selection to me is the easiest thing to fix. he showed a flash tonight when he pumped faked Camby, Jumpstopped and went for a dunk. Tmac is Tmac. yao has shown in the past he get get down low and score in the post, so itd be great to see him back down there and put teams in the torture chamber. Yao handcuffs himself a bit because hes so scared (and justifiably) of getting fouls called on him. He needs to figure out (or the coaching staff and teamates need to help him) that he sometimes has to take charges--if he plays agressively in the post, the fouls will even out.

11. Shawndme7

Yao is 7'6" and NEEDS TO PUNISH TEAMS down low. I don't think this is entirely his fault because the coaching staff is trying to play him on the high post, but something needs to change. I love it when I see Yao hit a turnaround from 15 feet out, but not when the game is on the line.
    I agree with this 10000% Yao gets horrible officiating against him so he just gets scared of drawing fouls more than missing or getting his shot blocked etc,

From waht ive seen the main reason Okur kills yao is because hes such a good flopper Yao is scared to take it to him and settles for the jumper. You get a few charges and complain .get your teamates and coaches to complain for you..I garauntee they wont keep calling that a charge.

12. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

If I were Yao, I would have charged the flopper 6 times in 5 minutes every game and got fouled out. If the league still keeps officiate like that, Yao should buy his contract out and play outside of NBA.

13. jlwee

jlwee Member

The dominate Yao is the one we saw in second half of 05/06 season(after his toe inury) and first half of 06/07 season(before his injury). Since Yao came back from his second injury, he became timid. He shot more fallaway/turnaround jumpers. He seldom uses the drop step and spin around those power moves to the basket.

Could it be his knees and ankles are still sore or hurt? But seem to me, he is avoiding contact to prevent injuries and taking easy route! Yes, Yao still put up good numbers. stats wise he still the best center in the league but he is not dominating like the way he did before his second injuries!

That's my thoughts! ;)

14. SmitingPurpleEm

I think the injury excuse was valid last year, but it's not this year. Honestly I think having Yao at the high post, where he is very ineffective, is preventing him from getting into any rhythm in the low post. I wish the dominant Yao would come back, but with Adelman around I don't know if I'm going to see it.

15. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

Shawndme7,

we all agree yao need to play low post more, but mix of some high post play which yao is capable is good for the team and yao. i understand your concern about yao's shot selection. but we have watched so many games of yao, we know who he is. 4thQ low post is always cause yao high turnover no to mention it is hard to feed him inside. The problem with yao is: he is not smart enough to fool both referee and oponents. in NBA especailly when you play more years, you got to know sometime you need to play dirty which yao still a rookie. i am also upset about the way call against yao, but when you watch SHAQ play the old time, that is even worse. it is hard to referee to call big guy like yao and shaq, so yao have to let referee notice he is upset about the call. sometime play dirty or get a technical isn't bad for yao. that is something yao need to improve most at this point

16. Astockmarketgod

I for one would like to see Yao playing in the post 85% of the time when the 4th comes...

just like I would like to see Tmac... driving to the net... every possesion in the 4th...

and the guards to pass the ball under any circumstance...

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

I don't think these two go hand in hand. Yao hogging the low post reduces space for McGrady to take it to the rack to be honest. We've seen alot of drives from T-mac this year and alot of them occur when Yao is out of the low post

18. munco

munco Member

although Yao is playing well this year, people expect more out of him this year. we do not believe Yao has reached his potential still and it is worrisome to see him not dominating in the manner he was last year.

i think you're overreacting pruyen or being over defensive as a fan of Yao.

19. SmitingPurpleEm

I am a huge fan of Yao and I don't think he's playing well this year; on the contrary he is struggling. But I think the reason for that does not lie with him. His lack of dominance is entirely due to Adelman planting him at the elbow. He is a very bad player at the elbow, as JVG likes to remind us, and putting him at the elbow every third possession or whatever prevents him from getting into a flow in the low post.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

dude... morey said in an interview yao only plays in the "elbow" 1/4 of the time. he should be dominating even more. to me, i think yao's just quit on trying to dominate seeing how bad the officials officiate.