1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams interested in Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nadman89, Jan 27, 2012.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

His team sucks. Get him on a team that matters and that will change quickly.

I don't get the hate for this guy. We're talking about a backup center, right? Some of you guys would prefer Jordan Hill to Chris Kaman? If you're going to go against my rebuilding wishes and make the playoffs, at least do it right -- get a veteran backup C that can protect the rim and help you in a long playoff series.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not that Kaman sucks, its what will you have to give up to get him? According to the article NO wants a ton of **** for Kaman, expiring contracts, a pick and a young player. Kaman's salary is also no joke, 14M means we'll have to give up a major player (like Scola) or all of the 09ers to get him.The 09ers have little to no value aside from being expiring contracts, and Kaman's deal is already expiring. You'll have to give up the 09ers+something else at the minimum to get NO to agree.

3. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Players off limits: Lowry, Martin, Morris, Patterson, Dalembert, Lee
    Picks off limits: NY 1st, rights to Motiejunas and Llull

I don't see why we can't get him!!
    Expirings: Thabeet, Hill, Williams, Flynn, Dragic
    Picks: 2nd rd pick MIN
    Young players: Parsons, Bud
    Bonus: Scola
    Get it done Morey!!!:grin:

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the question is why will you give all that up for a 10 min. center backup. If all you want to do is have a solid playoff run Scola, Parsons and Bud will do more for your team than Kaman ever could. You can also use those expirings to upgrade a position in the roster, something like Kmart+filler+C-bud for Gerald Wallace will be a better use of assets than getting Kaman.

5. HamJam

HamJam Member

I think it would be a big mistake to give up Parsons (a young starter who has 4 years on a really low price contract and who has been instrumental in the team's recent success) in order to just rent Kaman for the rest of the season, especially since he would be a backup and would not be the difference between winning a title and not.

I mean, I hate watching Jordan Hill's inconsistencies as much as anyone, and I'd be willing to give up Chase in order to rent Kaman, I just don't see the logic in making a deal that will only be a marginal upgrade of our backup center position for half a season at the expense of a starter who has one of the best value contracts in the league.

6. rockets06

rockets06 Member

ok letting go of Parsons would be dumb but why wouldn't you look to move Scola in this case to bring in a quality backup C in Kaman? You have Motiejunas coming in next year and Patterson already at the PF, if you move Hill back to his original position at PF you have a solid rotation in the frontcourt with Patterson/Hill and Dalembert/Kaman.

move 2nd rd MIN, Budinger, Thabeet, and 1 of Flynn/Williams for Kaman
    pick, young player, expirings

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I don't think Kaman would be very happy and I doubt he beats out Dalembert for more than 15 to 25 minutes.

8. Commodore

Commodore Member

not opposed to moving Scola since he probably isn't in our long term plans, but the question is could we get something better than Kaman's expiring contract for him?

9. kidcave9

kidcave9 Member

It'd be nice to have him but if he doesn't play backup, I see no spot for him here..

10. HamJam

HamJam Member

I agree with Commodore -- I'm not diametrically opposed to a Scola for Kaman deal, I just think Scola could bring in more than that and that the team wouldn't improve this season via a Scola for Kaman swap.

I'll say this though -- If the Rockets move Scola for Kaman I will not complain, but if they move Parsons for him I am joining the Morey bashers.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

He will be a lot happier if he is playing for a playoff contender instead of one of the worst teams in the NBA. Also, I think we could get him a few more minutes than he's getting with NO. Dalembert doesn't seem to have the energy for more than 25 minutes anyway so an even split seems pretty good.

But, only if we can get Kaman for '09 lottery busts. Don't give up any 20+ minute rotation players for him.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I agree with only giving up 09-busts for him.

Not that sure he's a huge improvement over Jordan Hill at this point. Kaman has legitimate size and skills, but never quite managed to play efficiently (high TO numbers, not very good shooting %, etc.). Maybe, like Dalembert, Kaman can get better with being on an actually competitive team and with McHale feeding him some royal jelly. Worked with Sammy D.

Worth a gamble, but not worth betting too much on the guy.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Exactly... I think he would bring better defense than Hill and a little more consistency, but it's not like he's a massive upgrade. I don't mind flipping him for expiring '09 guys because we can then flip his contract at the trade deadline if we need to (right?) to match salaries on a superstar. And if no deal comes up it's a moderate upgrade to the bench.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I dont get why so many of you are enamored with Kaman just to get rid of Scola for nothing. Thats basically what the deal boils down to. Scola is worth more than Kaman by himself. The first round pick is worth more than Kaman. Parsons might be worth more than Kaman.

15. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

I haave a feeling rockets will get him.

Thabeet
    Flynn
    Hill
    Williams

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'd give up the 09 busts that get no playing time... but not a penny more.

17. leebigez

leebigez Member

Why is morris,patterson,and lee off limits? If the rockets are serious about the playoffs, doesn't kaman give the team the best chance? Kaman and dally could play together without a problem. Start with scola and cherry pick some of the young players. They can't have all of them, but the roster have too many of the same spot player. They can't have lee,morris,and patterson, but they can have scola,lee,thabeet or scola,hill,flynn or scola,patterson, williams. Morey has proven he can trade or draft guys like lee and patterson.

18. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

If you trade those players to get Kaman, don't forget your 'assets' are reduced a lot. If we want to get a more quality player (Al Jefferson, Gasol or a more All-Star caliber player), those 09 busts could be more helpfull to 'seal the deal' because of their expiring contracts.

19. rockets06

rockets06 Member

I wouldn't want to strip send out both Scola and Patterson at our PF position getting rid of two rotational players at the PF for a backup C wouldn't improve the team.
    I chose Morris to stay because Budinger would seem like 3rd string SF once Morris comes back plus Parsons has a better contract like you said Morey can draft guys similar to what we already have. I wouldn't mind moving Morris if that's what it took.
    Also they already have Eric Gordon that will be a restricted free agent in the summer so I don't think they'd have interest in Lee who is restricted as well.

Of the packages you suggested I think Scola/Hill/Flynn would be best.
    But maybe Scola/Morris/Williams/MIN 2nd

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Trading Patterson or Lee for Kaman would be a lateral move for the team this year and a downgrade to the team after his contract expires at the end of the season. Kaman is not significantly better than either of them.