1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rex Tillerson is new Secretary of State

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OlajuwonFan81, Dec 10, 2016.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Unbelievable.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Emperor Poutine approves!

(We're going to need a Morey-esque photo of Poutine).

Exiled likes this.
  3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Huntsville boy.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Who that is

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

CEO of Exxon with strong ties to Vladimir Putin.

It's hard to believe the same republicans who cheered Romney calling Russia our greatest geopolitical threat are on board with trump

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Wow. Nothing to like about this pick. No experience, the aforementioned ties to Russia. I'm trying my hardest to put a positive spin on this but I don't like the effects of free trade much either so...

Conservatives, thoughts?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Can't be as bad at being Secretary of State as Hillary was.....

Creepy Crawl and cml750 like this.
  8. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

I'm tired of putting people in power who've had limited (or in this case, none) experience and expecting them to just make magic happen. It's ridiculous and it doesn't turn out well. We have W. Bush failed foreign policy, we've had Obama's failed foreign policy, and now we're going to throw more crap against the wall to see what sticks - now in important positions of Commander in Chief and Secretary of State.

Hillary had her problems as SOS sure, but if she was elected it wouldn't be her, would it? She has firsthand knowledge of the perils of this position and would at least put in someone who won't have to learn on the job. Tillerson was surprised himself he was being considered for the head diplomat of the nation.

I feel like Trump's team has just had a sorting error with a couple of these picks. Maybe I can help him out:

Ben Carson: not HUD sec. but Surgeon General
    Rex Tillerson: not SOS but Energy Sec.

There you go guys. I hope this all gets resolved before the hearings.

dmoneybangbang and JeffB like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Hmmm.. Putin dream is coming true. Say goodbye to any future sanctions on Russia for their bad past, current and future behaviors.

Exiled likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I disagree, he actually has plenty of experience dealing with foreign governments and advocating for his company. IMO that's pretty good. It's not like he's Obama running for president with 0 executive experience.

That said, I'm not saying he'll for sure be great at the job or that the Trump administration as a whole won't end up as a train wreck....it absolutely could, I'm just saying that the narrative that the CEO of a giant multinational does have relevant experience.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Exxon negotiates with foreign governments all the time. He has far more experience than Hillary Clinton. His entire career has been sitting down with governments, trying to cut deals, and not offend them.

He has ties to every government. its Exxon.....

#11 tallanvor, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Plowman likes this.
  12. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Sure, and the deeper that experience is the more concerning it could be. The man has spent his lifetime working to secure business interests for Exxon/Mobil to great success. Ignoring other speculative claims of what might happen, the last time we had someone with big oil business ties he took his eyes of the ultimate objective in Iraq and we have what you see today. And that guy was very experienced in government. But, you're correct in the fact that his opinions on many foreign matters are unknown.

Objectively, it's not the best choice considering the intricate global problems the U.S. faces.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I am confused do you want someone with experience or not because you have argued both sides now.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

John D. Rockefeller approves.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Trump is doing the opposite of Atlas Shrugged.

Nook likes this.
  16. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

As Trump said in the debates, "It's bad experience." The experience I was referring to that he lacks is representing a country with a million different interests rather than one company he has spent his entire career at.

In my reply to Bobby, I was referring to Cheney. Who knows what diplomatic challenges we'll have to face in the upcoming years? Cheney by many accounts, left and right, was a skilled negotiator, a person who understood both the domestic and military aspects of how our foreign policy affects global stability, and a primary architect of one of the biggest foreign policy blunders this nation has undergone. Tillerson is undoubtedly a skilled negotiator and has a deep understanding of only domestic issues at this point. So let's hope he's humbled and intelligent enough to not make Cheney's mistake. And he's been vetted by a policy lightweight.

I don't pretend to know what the man is like. I'm sure he takes this very seriously and will do his best. But my biggest problem with this appointment is this "we'll see" attitude. We've done that before. I hope it works this time.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy who was awarded the Russian Medal of friendship is now our secretary of state? Oh dear.

Nook likes this.
  18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Do some people here WANT us to be at odds with Russia?

Personally, I would like to see our differences mitigated to the greatest extdnt possible.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I for one welcome our new Russian overlords.

Who knew all it took to get us to finally move towards becoming a Russian client state was having a candidate that promised to give white people the country back. If only fdr, Truman, Ike, Kennedy, Nixon, Reagan and the bushes had realized that the bigger threat to America wasn't Russian aggression it was "political correctness!"

Nook and JeffB like this.
  20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Drill Baby Drill!"
    --a famous Republican philosopher

Gee, uh, there wouldn't be any potential conflicts of interest with Exxon and uh, our entire Middle East foreign policy or anything, would there?

Who we gonna invade to take their oil this time? Pumped!