1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Revisited] A Retrospective Look at the Bosh vs. Scola Debate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by diamondview, Apr 12, 2011.

?

Scola vs. Bosh: Who Do You Sign Now??

1. Scola

59 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Bosh

42 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. diamondview

diamondview Member

As the season draws to a close and we once again are not partaking in the playoff festivities, I thought it would be interesting to see what the opinion on the board was about this trade that wasn't. As much as we loved Scola last year, many on this board declared Bosh the missing piece of the puzzle for a Rockets 3rd championship. While granted this dream encompassed a certain Chinese centre, I still felt in terms of value for production Scola would have given us similar stats without decimating our salary cap flexibility for the future.

Interestingly, Bill Ingram from Hoopsworld recently wrote a similar article just on this issue. http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19418

Important points:
    Thus, in terms of value for money Scola wins quite easily. However, what about things not measured by statistics? Motivation, not taking plays off or instead of relying on other team mates to get you fired up, you fire up your team with your relentless effort. For these reasons alone, you take Scola. Sure he's not as athletic, but he more than makes up for that in sheer grit and hard work. The guy sets a tone and I'm more than grateful we chose to retain him. We need more people like him in the NBA, showing the new generation of how to approach games and training. Having gone through the McGrady era and now the superteam era, it is refreshing to know nothing beats good old fashioned hard work.

2. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Impossible to compare. Bosh is relegated to the third option where as Scola has been our first or second option all year. Do you really think Bosh would have his Miami numbers if he was on the Rockets? Not a chance.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Neither.

Scola isn't right for this team anymore. We are going younger and he just doesn't fit.

Bosh is overpaid for what he does.

5. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Scola has better stats for half the price. Logic.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A bit, but not much. He's been relegated to option 3, but is really a solid option 2 type guy. On championship caliber teams, those guys get paid. I rank Bosh just ahead of Boozer (when healthy, which is never) and Boozer is getting what, $14 million a year? Bosh is no Gasol, no KG in his prime, no Westbrook, etc. so is a tad overpaid but not ridiculously so.

I feel pretty good saying Bosh would have fit in nicely with our team (Bill Ingram is such an idiot - defensive minded?), and they'd have a better record with him vs Scola. Not a 10 game difference but a 5 game swing - maybe.

Now Bosh and Martin are similar molds, though, in that neither is going to will you to wins but both are solid 2nd options (not consistent all star 2nd options but close) so you really still need that superstar, so not a huge loss.

7. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Bosh is better than Scola, but demands more for $.

We are fans and we don't care about how much $ Les pays, but we care about team performance.

I think most of the Rockets fans are brain washed, and thinking too much into $. I see no future in Rockets unless owner changes his reputation and are willing to pay more for players instead of paying less for more production.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I always thought that when you accounted for production and contract etc, that Scola was a better option.

I think Bosh would be a better player here in Houston than Luis, but not comparitively when contracts are considered.

I am glad we have Luis and not Bosh, Luis burns to win, Bosh seems to just want the spotlight.

Just my .02

DD

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Where's the option for Patrick Patterson?

I guess my vote goes to Scola since his contract will expire earlier/be easier to move. Not that I don't like Scola, I love him for what he does. But Patterson is the future. Woof.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Honestly DD and I were one of the posters on the board here saying Luis Scola and Hayes would approximate whatever it is Bosh is gonna give us, yet we got villified for it. DD makes a great point, Bosh would indeed be better here, but 2x better to justify his 2x higher salary? Of course not :rolleyes:

Also, of course you should consider $$$. There's this thing called the salary cap that limits how much $$$ a certain team can spend on players. If a player is only going to be marginally better than your current one but is making 2x more, there's no point in getting him because you can spend the $$$ elsewhere.

11. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

You are very wise man on board. Chris Bosh pansy boy who do not deserve max contract. He would sulk once Yao Ming went down and wish he made decision for South Beach. Very happy to have great player like Luis Scola instead.

1 person likes this.
  12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If we are talking about perfect hindsight. Then Morey would have done this:

1. Tell Bosh to have fun getting sunburned in Miami.

2. Let the Nets sign Scola for 7 million +

3. Swoop into get Tyson Chandler from the Bobcats before Dallas, including offering this years pick/NYK swap. ( I know its steep.)

4. Do not sign Brad Miller.

5. Make the Ariza for Courtney Lee trade.

6. Do not make the T-will for Draft pick trade.

7. Keep telling Utah that we can get lots of draft picks to give you. (i.e. make the Battier to Memphis for 1st round trade (+ Thabeet) and Brooks to Suns for 1st round pick (+ Dragic) earlier in the year to have those picks as trade bait.

8. Trade for Deron Williams

1 person likes this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Points, boards, and assists are a lazy way to compare two players.

How about blocks, steals, defensive impact, team-defense abilities, man-to-man effectiveness, opponent efficiency, etc?

Not denying that Bosh is overpaid.

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

But that would put Bosh ahead of Scola, we don't want that.

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

That is not welcome here.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I say this is a stupid thread because why would you want a soft a$$ Chris bosh that gets bullied on the court. As for scola he knows how to box out and knows how to work when he's posted up against somebody

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody's saying Scola's better than Bosh, even those against Bosh like and DD before had acknowledged Bosh is better. He's just not better enough to justify paying 2x more dough for.

Also, blocks and steals are way too small to impact a game, that's like comparing their assist numbers. Defensive impact is a highly intangible stat and all the other advance metrics woudl seem superflous if you don't discuss the basics first.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bosh is the better player.
    Scola is the better value.
    Patterson is our future.

19. PeppermintCandy

Pretty much.

I think you have a championship-caliber frontcourt by pairing Bosh with a good defensive center.

Sadly I don't have the same confidence in Scola, unless that center is a superstar like a Dwight Howard or a healthy Yao.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think Bosh actually has the better numbers.....

I would go for Bosh - and not just because it means I can disagree with Bill (always wrong) Ingram!!

Bosh is 6'11 and can block shots at the rim. He'd make a much better front court combo with Chuck (I can defend anything that moves) Hayes than Scola does.

Scola is fantastic, but I think we'd make the playoffs this season if we had Bosh.