1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[reuters] Panasonic to exit plasma TV panel business by end-March 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm happy I got a plasma, sucks that it's not profitable to make these types of TVs anymore.
    My Panasonic THX certified Plasma is still going strong, while my buddy's Sony Bravia LED 240hz bit the dust.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/09/us-panasonic-plasmatv-idUSBRE99801720131009

(Reuters) - Panasonic Corp will pull out of the plasma television panel business by the end of the financial year to March 2014, sources familiar with the situation told Reuters, marking a key milestone in the long-term decline of Japan's TV industry.

Panasonic had been widely expected to back out of the unprofitable business, but the exit comes sooner than predicted and underlines President Kazuhiro Tsuga's determination to weed out weak operations as he focuses on higher-margin products to end years of losses at the consumer electronics conglomerate.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How many plasma manufacturers are left? If they're about to go extinct as a whole I may go ahead and purchase another one. My current plasma is from 07. I do not want to splurge on a high-end, KURO model (if they even make those anymore) - but I do want a nice, big plasma.

You cannot beat the PQ on a plasma.

Tinman, we both had those Sony tube TV's at one point, I no longer own mine but that was also a great set, but the viewing angles sucked.

LED doesn't do it for me at all.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Samsung still makes plasmas. I think perhaps LG does as well?

I agree...nothing beats a plasma picture (I have two Panasonic plasmas at home and one LCD)

Just bought a panasonic plasma a few months ago. Hope it holds up!

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Picture is great...but those things get hot. Not wanting a heater in my living room during the summer.

Got an LCD over plasma when I was in college due to the weight difference.

It's still going strong. Bought it back in 2007. Westinghouse too...kind of surprised it's still alive, but makes it worth it considering how expensive those damn things were back then.

#4 Uprising, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have 3 plasma's, 1 LCD and 1 LED, all Samsung.

I LOVE the plasma's the most, by far. Superb picture, great blacks and darker colors, perfect for sports, etc. Mine do not get hot at all, while both the LCD and LED do when left on for a while.

LCD, meh, just a TV so it went to a guest room. Picture is meh.

LED, moved it to the office. The resolution hurts my eyes, it looks like I'm watching live scripts and has that soap opera effect to it. It's super thin though, so...

6. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I love my Panasonic plasmas. Until OLED is half the price, nothing will beat plasma's picture quality. RIP.

7. Uprising

Isn't that weird camera effect due to the settings? My folk's Sony LED tv was like that.

Had to change from 240....to 120 or 60 or something. Can't remember. But everything looked so strange like it was a cheap tv show. Till I changed the settings.

8. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

My Panasonic 480p plasma "TV" I purchased in 2003/4 is still going strong with a shockingly great picture. It easily blows away the LCD 720p screens in my house and absolutely compares positively with the 1080p as well.
    Plasma FTW!

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yes, I think you can get rid of the "soap opera effect". I hate that

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I almost bought the Panasonic 2013 (ST-60 I think) Plasma model the other day but a few things held me back:

1.) Panasonic exiting plasma business (per the thread).
    2.) Weren't readily available from retailers and preferred to buy in person at store where I could return if issues and get another one.
    3.) Gaming input lag times were not great from my research (albeit I'm not a huge gamer but will get a Xbox One or PS4 and play some games eventually).
    4.) Heat output (albeit not a huge deal but my last HDTV (being replaced) used a sodium bulb and got hot...so along with all my other electronics in the same room it got really hot).

Given that...I was in the LED market. Blew off the Samsung models because of cost for newer models, gaming input lag, and the Smart TV features I'm not really keen on pumping up the cost.

So, I ended up going with Sony's latest model that had the best picture quality and least amount of gaming input lag (my criteria). It is the KDL55W900A 55" model. Or, W90. I did get an extended warranty. Uses some Quantum Dots technology. I love the picture on this thing. As far as how it will hold up, we will see. Just because one person's LED goes out earlier than anticipated...doesn't mean the next person's will. And, if it does, then just buy a new one if it is cost prohibitive to fix outside of warranty. I'm happy with it...at least while it works and is under warranty. lol

11. Nero

Nero Member

I love love LOVE my Samsung 63" plasma!

Easily far and away the best, most beautiful piece of electronics I have ever bought.

600mhx refresh rate, blacks that actually look black, tons of options, never ever once had that 'soap opera effect'..

I'm assuming the Panasonics are equally good.

May keep an eye out for fire sales in the coming year, I suspect there may be some really good deals to be found.

12. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Always look to buy TVs in late January and February. All the new TVs are unveiled at CES at the beginning of January and will be in stores by mid-March, so the previous year's models are heavily discounted in February. I got my 2012 Panasonic PST50 for about 40% off at Best Buy earlier this year.

13. LonghornFan

I've never had it on either of my 65" plasma's, only on the 55" LED Smart TV. I just wish my Plasma's were Smart TV's. I prefer the den plasma, but I can't watch Chromecast on it since it's hooked up to surround sound and a huge tuner. I seriously wish they would fix this issue.

14. Uprising

How come your chromecast isn't possible?

I have a Yamaha receiver and surround sound. My OLD tv only has 1 HDMI input, so I have it connected directly to the receiver.

Chromecast is connected to an HDMI hub, that connects to my receiver.

I have the hub, so it's easier to connect gadgets like my tablet etc.....

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

So it's a safe bet that the Panasonic Plasma TV's will be going on sale soon?
    I have 2 lcd's and 1 led already....but I'm always looking to expand my viewing options...;)

16. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

I'll be looking for a cheap plasma this black Friday.

17. LonghornFan

See, stuff like this confuses me. I suck at electronics. You have your Chromecast connected to your receiver HDMI hub? If I did that I would get ZERO wireless reception as it's in a big studio cabinet thing, whatever it is the wife bought. I already get horrible wifi upstairs as it is thanks to Uverse's terrible wifi range, even with an extender.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Soap opera effect is a setting on the tv not a plasma/lcd/led thing.

Generally new tv's come with that setting turned on. On my panasonic plasma it's called motion smoother.

I think a lot of the negatives of plasma are a thing of the past. I don't notice mine getting any hotter than my other tvs but the natural picture it produces is the best. It's been running strong for a couple years and I was hoping to wait another couple before I made the jump to a bigger panasonic. If they're going to stop making them I may have to get in on it, or just wait for a discounted 2014.

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Love my Panasonic Viera GT50 plasma in my living room. Excellent picture quality. That combined with my Denon receiver and Energy Take Classic speakers and sub makes for a very nice home theater environment for gaming, movies and live sports.

Hopefully within 4-5 years, OLED TV prices will drop to mainstream levels. Because I'd like one of those to be my next living room TV. A smaller 1080p LCD or LED is fine for my bedroom, but ain't gonna cut it for my living room.

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

This is my next TV. From the research I've done, this is the best LED you can buy for the money in that price range. I'm waiting for it to go on sale before I scoop it up.

I wouldn't say it's their best picture quality....I think the 4k TV's trump the W900 Series, lol.