1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) pushes back on Trump criticism of 'Saturday Night Live'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 17, 2018.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So, President Trump criticized SNL this morning for its blatantly biased partisan coverage and its routine practice of openly shilling and promoting propaganda for the Democrat left. So far, so good. It sounds like a Monday, just like any other day.

Then he went over the top by suggesting that this one-sided behavior should be illegal. The first amendment is superior to either Donald Trump and what he wants, or to the Democrat left and their "Political correctness" and "Identity politics" agendas, regardless of what any of these people think.

Representative elect Dan Crenshaw (R-TX), who previously appeared on SNL to receive an apology for some rather disgusting anti-veteran cracks made by one of their cast, has come out to push back against these comments by Trump. It looks like this guy is going to be player, by the way. He has not even been sworn in yet, for crying out loud, and he is already squared off with Hollywood on national TV and now the President of the United States from his own party. This is my local Congressman, by the way and so far, I like what he is doing.

So, Trump is wrong in this last part, and I suspect that we will not have very many people at all in this thread who say they believe otherwise. At the same time, I do not think that President Trump actually wants to make this sort of blatantly one-sided partisan speech by the television networks illegal. He just wants to call the networks out for their bias and their lies about their claims to objectivity, since these networks are too deeply dishonest to take responsibility for their egregious partisanship, which no honest and credible person will even try to deny.

Let's keep in mind President Obama's running war with Fox News while we evaluate this situation, at least for those who are interested in maintaining some context and perspective here.

Anyway, I understand what Trump is doing, and that his assertions that this conduct by NBC should be illegal is Trump speak for: 'these guys are partisan shills and I want to make sure everyone knows it'. I also understand that our free speech protections are more important than the priorities of any one person or group in our nation and must be defended as sacrosanct. Period. The end.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When did SNL becomes the news channel?

weakfromtoday likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think after John Stewart left the Daily Show and Colbert ended the Colbert Report.

Liberal comedy news was mostly consolidated to a really good hour a day and those two programs did this blend really well. After this hour ended I think it sort of spun the demand for these programs out of orbit a bit. SNL always covered politics but it wasn’t really about poltical stances and more about poking fun at Bush and Clinton.

So yeah I think SNL has struggled these past few years to really decide what kind of show it wants to be in this era. Especially without the Will Ferrell type of talent to truly be a pure sketch comedy variety show. But I hate to see them pull back on politics now that 40% of the country wants to stiffle their ability to hold those opinions instead of sketch’s about 40 year old cheerleaders or about a door to door sales person living in a van down by the river.

They have the right to say whatever they want to say. The demand for what they do will be driven by the quality of the art they produce and entertainment value.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I was going to rep your post, until you went off the rails with the "Now that 40% of the country want to stifle their ability to hold these opinions..." nonsense. That is not true and you know it.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... don't know what is funnier... the effort to excuse trump by interpreting his intentions? Or the "Whataboutism" for exaggerating Obama's "running war with fox news"? Or last, the confusing SNL's comedy show with the news media?

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I was not at all serious. :p

But since you are :).. I haven't watched SNL for at least 10 years now, but I recall they have these news clips even then.

8. Anticope

Anticope Member

What Trump said was so stupid that even staunch Trump defender MojoMan knows that he can't fully defend it. Instead, he goes with the "well what he really meant was..." defense and then tosses in a cute whataboutism involving Obama. Trump is the gift that keeps on giving for SNL and anyone who thinks that they're only interested in going after Republicans needs to go watch some late 90's SNL when Bill Clinton was their favorite target on a weekly basis.

CometsWin likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you forgot Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) beats Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) in a straw poll for 2020?

10. dobro1229

I’ve been to the gym this Am and to lunch today and both places had on FoxNews and both times the entire segments were dedicated to SNL. Not healthcare or war... SNL.

Maybe your right and voter base doesn’t want to stiffle free speech from left leaning shows, but the propaganda arm that the viter base gets their talking points sure does have a counter messaging agenda in support of Trumps position.

If the voter/consumer base rejects this propaganda than that’s great. Glad to see these folks take that stance.

11. dobro1229

Oh I know I do just find it interesting with what’s happened with the political comedy scene over the past 5 to 10 years since the daily show started and how it’s spun out into other wide ranging shows. SNL has such a storied history too it’s interesting to note these changes.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK, not sure the point. But not surprised, I like him more than I like her (other than looks... she is pretty attractive).

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't know. I'm very illiterate when it comes to entertainment and comedy.

But I did enjoy this years ago.

peleincubus likes this.
  14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Far left logic: First amendment is great when it works against Dorito Hitler. First amendment bad when centrists and right leaning people use speech on FB and Youtube. Deplatform!

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Conservatives should make their own comedy sketch show

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They should because all of the humor today is weak, PC friendly crap. It would likely get deplatformed or canceled for being offensive though, because that is an easy label to use to silence other voices. Look at Rosanne, You can't even have one sitcom like that without hate mobs screaming her off air. The church of the progressives are too sensative right now for a show like that to even get a chance. Basically comedians have to walk on egg shells now, because people have no spine, and no life. They get "outraged" over stupid things that busy people with lives don't have time for. And I say that in quotes because no lie, they aren't even mad. They are taking pleasure in fiegned indignation and the feeling of supuriority it gives them. Not different at all from the way Baptists haranged people for worshipping the wrong God when I was growing up.

King1 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a classic bit

19. body slam

body slam Member

SNL should stop being political and try being funny

dachuda86 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trump is a very easy target so I doubt you will get what you wish.