1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remarkable Weather We Are Having

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 24, 2009.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

No individual event in this thread is intended to be conclusive on its own about global warming one way or another, so there is no need for anyone to have a cow.

But, taken together, these kinds of events are enough to make one wonder....

[RQUOTER]Rare blizzard strikes West Texas

In much of the rolling plains of West Texas, a blizzard has never been recorded.

There has been one now.

The region west and northwest of the Dallas-Fort Worth area saw blizzard-like conditions throughout the day Thursday as up to 8 inches of snow fell in the region, according to the National Weather Service. Winds gusting at up to 65 mph drifted the snow as deep as 5 feet in some areas.

No blizzard warning had ever been issued for an area of Texas as far south as Interstate 20, said Jim Wingenroth, senior forecaster at the National Weather Service office in San Angelo.

Heavily traveled Interstate 20 between Cisco and Abilene was closed after six inches of snow fell in the area 130 miles west of Dallas, said Larry Smith, Brownwood area engineer for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

“There's a two-foot snow drift at my front door,” Smith said Thursday from his office 50 miles south of the closed interstate.[/RQUOTER]

2. Major

Major Member

Except that they don't. Having years with massive cold spells is not inconsistent with global warming theory at all.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Just because you do not wonder about these things does not mean that no one else does. Last I checked, people are free to wonder about whatever they want to, with no advance approval from the politically correct crowd required.

The AGW alarmists are panic mongers who preach a gospel of immanent global destruction if we do not hand over the keys of worldwide energy production and usage to the enthusiasts of this gospel. According to the warmists, every remarkable weather event is either 1) a demonstration that their AGW theories are manifesting before our very eyes, or 2) an anomaly which should be overlooked and ignored.

I say nuts to that.

4. Major

Major Member

That's certainly true. You can wonder all you want, I guess. It's kind of stupid given that the science is very clearly against you, but whatever. If you like avoiding facts, that's certainly your right.

That's simply because you don't understand the science or what the other side is saying. The fact that you think a massive snowstorm is even relevant to global warming and that it makes you wonder demonstrates that.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

It is awesome that you make a big deal about "wondering" as if you are open minded to what the data might tell you, and then you go off on a multi-paragraph rant. Clearly, you don't wonder anything at all. And your core argument is called a hasty generalization. According to Wikipedia, it also goes by the following names:

[rquoter]
    The fallacy is also known as: fallacy of insufficient statistics, fallacy of insufficient sample, fallacy of the lonely fact, generalization from the particular, leaping to a conclusion, hasty induction, law of small numbers, unrepresentative sample, and secundum quid.

[/rquoter]
    It is one of the most basic of rhetorical fallacies, as any teen-aged pimple-faced High School debate club member could inform you.

Merry Christmas, MoJorgeMan!

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

And Merry Christmas to you, OttomaAlgoreaton!

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

MojoMan is Glenn Beck.

Hmm.

1 person likes this.
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Azadre is Rachel Maddow.

Hmm.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Is she the left's Glenn Beck? I am not familiar with her at all.

You are still Glenn Beck.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

LOL. :)

Merry Christmas, Azadre.

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Merry Christmas, MojoMan.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

mojoman, I've got your back and understand where you are coming from in your point.

There has not been a major crime in the city where I live since I began carrying my lucky knife.

As I know you can appreciate the statistical significance of this treasure, I am willing to sell this priceless artifact to you.

Cheap.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Merry Christmas, Rashmon!

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I love how cold weather inevitably brings out stupid climate change threads.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I love how AGW alarmists are quick to enthusiastically note warm weather events as hard evidence of their AGW alarmism theories, while being remarkably intolerant of any observations that contradict those theories.

Fortunately, this thread is not going to be confined to only one biased perspective on this topic. No, this thread will not be ruled or censored by the political correctness of AGW alarmists.

No chance, Vance. No way, Jay. Not here, dear.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

What is AGW?

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW)

Anthropogenic means "man caused" or "man made".

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

What are you talking about? Everytime there is a heat wave, the nut jobs come out from the wood works screaming global warming. You can't have it both ways.

I personally believe global warming is greatly exaggerated, but a couple summers of heat waves and a couple winters of severe cold snaps are not impending doom of global warming. The global warming crowd looks really foolish when they blame Katrina and Rita on global warming, and then the next two hurricane years are quiet.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Evidence, please?

I just spent like 15-20 minutes looking through old threads for relevant keywords. Every single time I saw someone mention Katrina and Global Warming in a thread it was someone like you or thumbs.

I could have sworn that someone at one point tried to make that connection in the Katrina thread only to be shot down by all of us so-called conspirators who want it both ways. I did read all 35 freaking pages of the original Katrina thread, and couldn't find it, so it may be a corollary in another thread.

In any case, if there was one or two occasions when someone tried to claim that asinine relationship, they were shot down. The only people on this BBS who regularly equate Katrina and Global Warming are AGW deniers looking for an easy Strawman to somehow excuse your own illogical claims.

Please, try and prove me wrong. I will gladly grovel in shame if you can produce the many instances of BBS members claiming that Katrina was a direct result of AGW.

20. Xenon

Xenon Member

Love the idiots that think they can disprove GLOBAL warming by looking out their window.

The world does not revolve around you.