1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reggie Bush is a BUST

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 6, 2006.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Is anyone else watchign PTI right now? They just had a toss-up: Who would you pick now, Reggie Bush or Mario Williams? Bob Ryan and Michael Wolban (sp?) both picked REGGIE BUSH

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

that and a quarter will get you a pack of gum. these are the same fools on the same network that coronated this guy the best pro prospect in the past 25 years. give me a break.

3. raw10628

raw10628 Member

Yup, just saw that. These people are idiots. They said they would take Bush because he is basically a decoy anywhere on the field and defenses have to account for him. Oh and that he picks up the blitz well. I think the Bush lovers are the only people saying this. I would like to hear comments on this from opposing defenses. Said Mario has been running free cause he's not seeing any double teams or being chipped by RBs and TEs. That is what you call great journalism. They need to watch the damn games before they make such stupid comments.

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

So you're angry that he gets so much publicity? And that's his fault? So he should have turned down all those deals that made him millions to make you happy?
    You bring up valid points about Bush not doing well with the rushing attempts he has been getting, but if you watch him run, you can see him making correctable mistakes. He is disappointing in that he hasn't started moving North and South and is swinging for the fences too often. If you really think he's too slow to make the corner... I don't know what to tell you. We'll just have to disagree on that one. It's not that Reggie needs 20+ rushes to get going, it's more Reggie flying into the offensive line before anything opens up and/or bouncing outside on plays that aren't supposed to go outside. Considering all the other things he's been doing, I think it's premature to say he can't make those adjustments.

How many small rookie RB's are put in 3rd down passing situations and asked to block, or catch a screen and go get 6 yards for a first? When you've got a healthy Deuce, it makes no sense to focus on running Reggie up the middle when you can use him so many other ways. I'm sorry someone sold you on the idea that the Saints would bench Deuce and ask Reggie to carry the load, but that is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. He's being asked to be a role player because Deuce is pretty damn good, so is Brees, Horn, and Colston. If Deuce goes down, and Reggie can't run the football, I'll scream bust too. What I'd really like to know, is where I get my "I knew it!!!I knew it! He's a bust" cookie?

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Look dude, you started this fracas on here so stop crying when the sh*t is rolling back down hill. You talk smack, you will get answered back and how.

Stop making excuses for Reggie. He's sick, lame & crazy ... his p***y hurts whatever dude. :rolleyes: This just in ... Mario has been battling plantar fascitis. I guarantee that hurts worse than a bum ankle. :rolleyes: Despite, he's getting more consistent pressure and getting sacks. What's Reggie doing other than going in reverse?

You know Deuce seems to be doing quite well with that so-called anemic offensive line you know getting consistently close to or better than 100 yards. Unfavorable rushing situations? That point is just r****ded. :rolleyes:

jgreen91, you basically told us that defenses were going to have to adjust game plans around Reggie, that hasnt even been close to happening. I will not even bother with the Gayle Sayers and Barry Sanders comparisons because I will just fall out of my chair from laughing so hard. :D Mario on the other hand, is starting to command double teams and OL are having to account for him on every down. So, I ask you genius boy who is making the greatest impact? :p

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

All this BUST talk is from people claiming that the Texans made the biggest mistake in the history of sports. Would I draft a punt returner with my #1 pick? Hell no. I would pick Maroney, a real RB who runs like one. I believe he also was ahead of Bush in the useless "all purpose yards" too.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Picking Mario would be admitting that you were wrong. They could honestly still want to pick Bush, its still early. But I doubt you'll see those ESPN guys giving up on Bush for a very long time.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

I am blasting Reggie for getting negative yardage for a game and not being able to average 3 yards a carry. YOU DON'T NEED 20-30 CARRIES A GAME TO BE AVERAGE IN THE FEW CARRIES THAT YOU GET. Other rookie backs are splitting carries as well, and they manage not to suck. It's called being effective with the chances you get.

9. Uprising

Uprising Member

ESPN is now admiting BUSH isn't the favorite to win ROY anymore, even though he started out as the clear favorite.

Segment on BUSH coming up on SportsCenter.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I'm neither angry about it, nor do I think it's his fault, nor do I think he should turn down endorsement deals. I sure wouldn't. Just pointing out it's still a fact that he hasn't (so far) lived up to the hype.

11. GAY4WHO???

GAY4WHO??? Member

great post :D

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

Jesus Christ couldn't live up to the ESPN hype handed to Reggie Bush. I can't argue he hasn't performed when it comes to running the ball. He will get better at finding holes and do less dancing around the line of scrimage. Or perhaps an offensive coordinator will strangle him...? Reggie will always be best used with another, larger, RB... Tiki/Jacobs.. Dunn/Duckett(last year) The combo of fast back/big back works well. I think it's way too soon to say he can't be the main guy or have a HOF career when you look at what he's been asked to do so far.

NFL Offensive rookie of the year is a no brainer... it's Marques Colston, by a mile.
    44 catches
    32 1st downs
    7 TD's
    700 Yards
    One could argue he's having a better year than Andre Johnson, though I wouldn't... The quarterback/team play has more to do with Colston having 7 TD's to Johnson's 4. I can't think of a 7th round skill player that has EVER had this sort of impact, rookie year. He reminds me of Terrell Owens by the way he pushes DB's around and then runs them off the field on deep routes.

13. emjohn

emjohn Member

In over a 100 carries in this half of the seaon, he hasn't broken off a 20-yd run once. Not once. You can't say that isn't a bad sign for a guy who's college calling card was breaking big plays.

Evan

edit - make that 81 carries

#113 emjohn, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  14. lpbman

lpbman Member

He doesn't have 100 carries yet, but, yes it is concerning. If the Saints only had Reggie, and he was just not able to run the football, I'd be pissed. I've seen every down this year, and I'm not even a little worried that he'll never break big runs on a comparatively consistent basis. He's broken plenty of tackles, he just doesn't get very far after he does so because he isn't running North and South.

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I wanted Bush, but then when Mario was the pick I said as long as he plays well noone will care. He is starting to do that now and I think most of the fans seem to like him,and even if you didn't want to draft him he is a Texan and we want him to play well. I also think the loudest Reliant has been this season is on some of his sacks. It seems to me like the people at the game like him too and from all the interviews with his teammates they do too. That means a lot if you ask me.

16. emjohn

emjohn Member

My fault - you are correct - 81 carries.

Evan

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

All of the above were more accomplished between the tackles runners in college. Reggie Bush was as close to your Rocket Ismail/Peter Warrick type guy in style and use as he was to workhorses like Faulk, Barber or Waters.

Further I don't get your comparisons. Faulk is arguably the best runner/catcher hyrbid RB to ever play and is by far the best player of the above group, he could do it all. Waters was bigger than the rest and could finish runs really if I remember. Warrick Dunn is a decent player, but not in the other guys league as do it all RBs. Bush has a better chance to eclipse Dunn than the other 3, though Dunn has this really slippery and instictive side to his running in tight space and around interior blockers Bush has yet to show. (Dunn showed this in college too, but it was slightly surprising he could continue to do so well at this in the pros, he is really unusual in that way for such a small pro back)

18. sammy

sammy Member

Has Reggie been a bust? This is the poll question on ESPN. You might have to scroll down a little bit. The results will be given on NFL Live tomm. Link

19. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

he has played 8 games and you already posted a thread about him being a bust? this is a stupid thread.

20. sammy

sammy Member

a lot of people would be calling Mario a bust if only had 1 sack halfway through the season. :confused: