1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Redskins] Gray added to all-star staff as secondary coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Luckyazn, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

link

The Washington Redskins have continued their assemblage of an all-star, and pricey staff of assistants, hiring Jerry Gray to coach the secondary.

Most recently the defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills, a position that he held for five seasons (2001-05), Gray becomes the latest high profile aide in owner Dan Snyder's galaxy of staffers.

The Redskins recently hired former Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders in the same capacity, signing him to a three-year contract worth about $6 million. Before that, the Redskins took highly regarded defensive coordinator Gregg Williams out of the head coach market by signing him to a three-year extension that could be worth as much as $2.6 million annually, and which will pay him a $1 million bonus if he is not named head coach when Joe Gibbs retires.

Joe Gibbs
    Gregg Williams
    Al Saunders
    Jerry Gray :eek:

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Wow-za.

#2 ron413, Jan 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  3. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Great teams make good coaches.. not good coaches make great teams.
    just my opinion

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Let's hope!!

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I see it more as the opposite. The only worry with bringing in so many upper-tier coaches is the politics and ambition amongst them.

Evan

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly. Can Gray and Gregg Williams co-exist to produce a stellar defense, or will their ideas clash?

7. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was hoping Gray would become the defensive coordinator the the Texans, kinda dissapointing if you ask me.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Didn't Jerry Gray coach under Gregg Williams in Buffalo?

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yes. I read on PFW that Bob McNair isn't too happy about the coaches Kubiak is going hire. He wants big name like Jim Bates. Bates said if he takes a job as a DC, he wants to hire the whole defensive staff which is stupid. Bates doesn't want Jon Hoke and Bob McNair does.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Was it Bates? McClain said that one of the prospective coaches (I guess it was Bates) for DC wants to hire all his defensive coaches. I just don't see any coach in the NFL that would allow him to do that.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I thought he wanted to be DC for the Texans...Now he is a secondary coach...WTF...

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Sounds like too many chiefs in DC if you ask me.

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

No team in the NFL offered him a DC job, thus he took a job to be a secondary coach.