1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Red Sox sign Carl Crawford

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. YaosDirtyStache

Once again the rich get richer...

And once again a smaller payroll squad (or the Yanks) will win it next year.

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Member

Much deserved payday for CC... glad to see a Houston kid do his thing in the Big Show.

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

WOW.. I knew it was gonna be one of the big teams. Houston never makes a push for any big names.. :(

5. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Wow...Adrian Gonzales and now Crawford. Those guys have money to burn....they will always keep building power houses out east.

6. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

You can't knock on the Astros for not going after him. They are still feeling the effects of the last big name they went after.

This is a bargain compared to what the Nationals paid for Werth.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

According to reports, Crawford highest-paid OF in baseball history - $20.2M per season. Crawford also reportedly recieves a partial no-trade clause.

8. rockets934life

Best lineup in the game and if Beckett and Lackey get their act together...WOW

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous?!? Carl Crawford isn't even close to being the best in OF in the league. He had the 10th best OPS among all OFers last season.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He's fast and is a great fielder but he doesn't play a premium defensive position and doesn't have traditional middle of the order power.

It's like the Teixeira signing all over again. A very good (but not the best at his position) player who fields well hits FA at a decent age, then gets a monster contract from one of the AL East teams. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

10. Buck Turgidson

Why? Werth's been a better hitter for at least the past 4 years, and he's just as good defensively - if not better - and he plays a much more premium position.

They're both overpaid.

11. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Yup you are absolutely right, baseball contracts are crazy. It is good to be the best offensive player in a weak FA class.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

SI_JonHeyman

13. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

They are both defintely way overpaid. I think Crawford is better defensively and his speed is a huge plus. Werth only played CF for a few games and he is two years older. I think Werth benefited from hitting from a better ballpark with a much better lineup around him. He wasn't doing anything before he got to Philly.

14. Disciple of RP

Wow...thought LAA would get him.

15. meh

meh Member

It's hardly ridiculous. It's simply a lethal combination of no salary cap and 6-year-til-FA rookie deals. Basically, you have teams capable of paying whatever they want, and very few players to choose from given how long teams can hold players.

Just Law of Supply and Demand at work.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Meh, as long as all the talent is sucked up into the AL East, the Astros benefit from being in an inferior league.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Sure would be fun to have a team like this in Houston.

18. Disciple of RP

FIFY.

19. Disciple of RP

You should move. Houston (as a sports town) is a f>>king loser of a town. Period.

Tell me I'm wrong. PLEASE...tell me I'm wrong. I'm literally begging...what does this town have outside of Dream circa 94-95? Houston is a big biatch ass loser of a town when it comes to pro sports. Pathetic. Bob McNair...I had faith in you. Now, I see that you're just another winner on paper.

Paper don't win championships. Houston remains as the laughing stock of pro sports. 4th biggest city? Who cares?!? Let's just tread water and make money for the owners....if you complain, you aren't a real fan anyway.

:mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

#19 Disciple of RP, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Move? no way. Im a Houstonian but it would be nice to see atleast one of our teams be a contender in the next 20yrs. If I had to put money on it I would say the Texans once we get a real coach and gm. Astros will be below average for awhile and the Rockets have a team full of role players. Texans will turn the corner first.