1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recently Diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Mar 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Back in November I started going to the ER for pain in my knees. I ended up with a Bakers Cyst in one leg and blood clots in both legs. My doctor started me on a blood thinner until I started bleeding in my left leg. A few months later I'm told it's Psoriatic Arthritis. The pain is off the charts and the Norco pain killer doesn't seem to do anything. I often find myself screaming in pain and not able to walk. It really sucks.

Now for the past 2 days my left foot is completely numb and there is a constant shooting pain going from the back of my knee to the bottom of my foot. I'm debating if I should go to the ER or just wait it out and see my Doctor in the morning. I don't do very good in the hospital.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's rough man. Do you have a rheumatologist?

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Sending the good vibe out there for you Brother Blatz.

4. Blatz

Yeah, I saw him last week for the first time out of the hospital. He took me off some meds for what he called a drug holiday.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Have you had any kind of second opinion about what is going on? My ex has rheumatoid arthritis. She was on remicade (sp?), but now she is in an experimental study. At no point has her experience been anywhere close to what you are going thru.

What medications are you on now?

6. Blatz

Yeah multiple opinions. While I was in the hospital there were four doctors and a PA seeing me every day.

Current meds

Prednisone
    Celebrex
    Metoprolol
    Metformin
    Hydrochlorothiazide
    Sertraline

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Damn, that's quite a cocktail -- good luck man.

1 person likes this.
  8. body slam

body slam Member

I'm curious do you also have psoriasis? If so how are you treating it?

9. Blatz

Yes on my scalp. I can't think of the name of the pill but I take 5 of them twice a week.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hope you get well soon mate

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery

1 person likes this.
  11. Blatz

I'm currently stuck in my chair, can't stand up. Crazy, just a few months ago I was able to walk, run and jump.

12. body slam

body slam Member

I have it also my doctor has me using triamcinln cream. Seem like it took forever to get it under control. He told me to stay off the pills. That they may do more harm than good in the long run, but I'm sure the same could be said for most all pills.

hope you get you problem under control and pain free

1 person likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are you alone?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Best of luck, blatz. These are not good days to be in constant pain. The Feds have recently made some of the most effective pain killers Class 2 drugs, drugs that many doctors are suddenly afraid to prescribe, doctors that used to prescribe them routinely for various maladies. I recently had a quarter sized basal cell carcinoma removed from my cheek. The surgeon said to take Advil for pain. When I saw him again, I complained that I spent a couple of days hurting like hell and the Advil did nothing. He freely admitted that the change in the law affected what he prescribes. This is a quote, "Well, if you'd called the office and begged for something stronger, I would have prescribed it, but otherwise the damned paperwork and Federal oversight is just too much trouble." I looked at him and then said, "Doctor, that's a hell of a thing to tell a patient who just needlessly suffered because you are afraid to do your job. I won't beg for anything." Seems that the government has decided, for all practical purposes, to practice medicine instead of your physician, at least where pain is concerned.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do you know why they have you on each of those drugs? I'm only on my phone right now and I looked up metoprolol and that is used for heart problems. edit just looked at the other...I don't understand why they have you on these drugs. None of them treat auto immune disease. Are diabetic or obese? High blood pressure?

Sertaline is an anti-depressant....why would they put you on that? This makes no sense.

#15 robbie380, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Prednisone and celebrex are for his psoriatic arthritis.

Metoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide are for his hypertension.

Metformin is for his diabetes.

Sertraline is for his mood disorder/anxiety (used for a lot of other things).

The next step for treating his symptoms would be a biologic like Humira or Remicade.

1 person likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah doctors prescribe anti-depressants for pain sometimes. If they think the problem is psychosomatic they will try it. I had a friend who was given Cymbalta for back pain. Completely ****ing stupid by the doctor.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Having had to take Prednisone for the past year almost. . . . I know is puts on the weight - I think it affected my Sugar as well
    Hydrochlorothiazide sends ya to the bathrroom to drain excess fluids
    Have not noticed any affects of the Metformin . . yet but it is a recent add

After a Diabetes diagnosis about 3 wks ago . . . I quit the Prednisome
    I can push through the joint pain rather than having it screw with my sugar levels and weight

before the diagnosis I lost 45 pounds in 4 weeks and felt ****ty the whole time. More concerned about the Diabetes than the "Undiagnosed Inflamatory AutoImmunie Disorder" that had previously plagued me.

I am better now.

I pray your get better and find something to ease your pains and cure what ails you

Rocket River
    recently I switched to High PH Water too . . . .seems to help with my sugar levels

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And I don't think the ER can do too much. If the pain is completely excruciating then they might be able to do a nerve block of some sort but then you won't be able to walk until it wears off.

You more than likely need to get on some kind of biologic treatment for psoriatic arthritis http://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/treatments/biologics

Also a regular exercise program and eating healthy will help out a lot

20. Blatz

Azdre got right on the meds. The Sertraline was prescribed when I was in the hospital, anxiety and some very scary hallucinations were not kind to me. My Doctor has been real good to me when it comes to the pain. He prescribed 300 mg of Norco. I ran out of it Friday and have to wait 8 more days before I can refill it. I'm scared I'm going to be in the same condition in the morning when I see him and then he is going to put me back in the hospital.