1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

rasheed wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lenny34, Apr 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. lenny34

lenny34 Member

Does anyone else think this guy might be available? If we miss out on Webber would any of you like to see him in a Rockets uniform? Mabey in a sign and trade with Mo and others...Anyone got other ideas?

------------------

2. haven

haven Member

Wallace will stay with Portland. They'll trade some of their other PF's to ease their glut at that position... but Wallace is their youthful cornerstone. He's the best player on that team, and unavailable unless you want to give up Francis.

*What* would Portland want with any of our other players? THey're already LOADED with talent... they hardly need anymore half-decent roleplayers. They probably want to get rid of some players, just not Wallace.

If you're looking for possible trades with Portland... see if you like Dale Davis or Shawn Kemp. My guess is that both of them will be on the block. Obviously, Kemp would be a bad pickup, but Davis might be nice, if we miss out on the Webber sweepstakes. He's tough, can rebound, and would provide us with a tough guy in the point.

I'd wager that Steve Smith might also be available for cheap, since Bonzi Wells is looking better all the time... but we're loaded at SG, so that's not likely. Anyone want Pippen back [​IMG]? We need a SF! (jk)

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

[This message has been edited by haven (edited April 17, 2001).]

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Screw Wallace. I bet we can get Derrick Coleman even cheaper.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited April 17, 2001).]

4. lenny34

lenny34 Member

I see your point BK, and as far as chemistry with the team, but if I know anything, it's that you need guys on your team that can get off a shot at any time. Wallace is one of the few young guys I have seen that have a go-to shot. That turn around jumper he has is pretty unstoppable and he can use it at any time. Plus, how would he look on a break with steve and cuttino? Also, in Houston, he would not have to share the post with that bumbling idiot Sabonis. Who, outside of webber, do you want to guard tim duncan for the next five or ten years?

------------------

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

now this is funny

Rocket River
    I *use* to be a Derrick Coleman fan . . .
    Then his sorry ass + his big head = a BIG HEAD UP HIS *SS
    Talent . . isn't everything

------------------

6. j-bone

j-bone Member

i am certainly in favor of getting wallace if we don't get webber. yeah maybe he does get alot of technicals but so did charles barkley, but at least barkley knew when to stop, something rasheed has to work on. but there's no denying his talent and if you really watch some of the blazers game, you could see that if he even stares at a ref they will give him a tech or two. i've seen much worse ref bashing than he does and the ref will go to the opposing player and explain his point. but with rasheed even if he asks what was the call, oh that's a tech. the guy can play center also with his long arms and he can also hit the three. he can also defend all other power forwards in the league without a problem and can shoot over anybody and everybody. i'm pretty sure the rockets orginazion can pull it of because they have a good history with portland( clyde drexler deal and the scottie pippen deal).

------------------

7. Valio!

Valio! Member

Imagine Steve and Rasheed on the same team...half the game would be spent watching the other team shoot technical foul free throws... [​IMG]

------------------
    "I didn't like jr. high when I was there. Why would I want to watch it on tv?" P. Mesku's opinion about "Survivor"

8. Hydra

Hydra Member

Staring at the ref, thats a technical.
    Questioning the whistle, thats a technical.
    Being Rasheed Wallace, oh you better believe thats a technical.

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller

9. lenny34

lenny34 Member

one more thing.... if we are stuck with cato for awhile, he could fill the garbage man role rather nicley. Rasheed would get the shots, and cato can work the offensive glass for putbacks and follow up dunks. In portland, there are simply too many big men who want the ball. Its exactly the opposite in Houston, assuming olajuwon does not return. I just really feel like this could be a nice fit, and if he has worn out his welcome in Portland, mabey we could work somthing out. Draft picks and players???

------------------

10. Valio!

Valio! Member

How bout we trade them pippen again

------------------
    "I didn't like jr. high when I was there. Why would I want to watch it on tv?" P. Mesku's opinion about "Survivor"

11. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

If Portland tanks it again with a early exit from the playoffs I bet management will make some changes. Wallace's penchant for getting tossed from important games could be considered part of the problem with this team's fragile chemistry. Although it's doubtful, I would love to have him on the Rockets if he becomes available.

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

12. unt2003

unt2003 Member

who would want that whining SOB and his 50 techs in a Rockets uniform? Wallace would definitely not be a good fit with this team. I would definitely prefer Dale Davis over wallace...

------------------

13. MManal

MManal Member

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that the Blazers probably wont end up trading Wallace. Despite all the technical problems etc. he is still clearly one of the most dominant front court players in the game, and they would likely get lowball offers. I just dont see the Blazers going into fire sale mode just yet. Sure they'd love to unload Pippen and/or Kemp but no team is crazy enough to take on that kind of salary. If Dale Davis is avail, the Rockets should give it a look.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The only person leaving Portland is Dunleavy.

------------------
    "It's like saying there isn't enough offense in football, so let's go to three downs." --Rudy T on zone defenses in the NBA

15. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Rasheed in Rockets jerseys? I'm up for it, Because Wallace is unstoppable in many ways and the guy can rebound.

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

let's hope Cuban gets Kemp. Roy Tarpley II!

------------------

17. haven

haven Member

I think a lot of you don't realize how good Wallace really is. If he was Rider-good, then no... the attitude isn't worth it. But this guy is Kevin Garnett-good (or almost). If he weren't on such a loaded team, I bet he'd be averaging 27 and 10 or so. That's worth a few technicals, etc. Besides, he doesn't get into much trouble off-court, which I think is more problematic anyway.

TheFreak: I think it's become obvious in the NBA that Portland has too many egos. THere just aren't enough shots to go around, and there seems to be a general recognition that they'd be better off with fewer stars and more roleplayers. Of course, it's always possible that Paul Allen disagrees... but after this year, I wouldn't be too sure.

At the very least, I'd wager that Kemp, Pippen, Davis, and Smith are all on the market (not that anyone would take the former two, except maybe Cuban).

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

haven--that may be true. But Dunleavy is a terrible coach who deserves to get the ax--he's done basically nothing in the league as a coach (I'm aware of the '91 season where LA went to the Finals--Magic did a good coaching job that year). Imagine that team with Chuck Daly coaching!

------------------
    "It's like saying there isn't enough offense in football, so let's go to three downs." --Rudy T on zone defenses in the NBA

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm betting Portland blows up their roster completely. They'll dump everybody except Wells. Would I want Wallace? No. Do I want any of their other rejects? Again, no.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone think part of Sheed's problem is being on such an old, mellow team, with the only youngsters being himself, Bonzi, and Stoudamire, and this is just acting out in frustration? It'd be interesting to see his tech numbers in Washington.

The only person that would possibly take Kemp, with multiple years, drug problems, and a major balloon in his contract on the way would be Cuban, and I think Dallas has enough PFs. Davis could probably get something useful.

For us to get Wallace, it wouldn't work straight up. A 3-way could be possible.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.