1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rare video on tmacs trade to houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yyaass, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yyaass

yyaass Member

interesting video on tmacs trade

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5sxa0mLPRhk&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5sxa0mLPRhk&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

At about the 4 minute mark they talk TMac, you can read between the lines.......as to why they traded him and why he is underacheiving here too.

DD

3. ClutchCityReturns

No sound here at work. Would you mind transcribing, or at least paraphrasing?

4. Ngadban

Ngadban Member

This video just left me speechless... Especially what Jim Weisbrod was saying:

He is one of the most physically talented, if not most talented player in this modern era to play the game, but the problem is that this is a team sport and there is a lot more that goes into it than talent

Leadership
    Making Other Players Better
    Competitive Nature

To be truly considered a superstar player, you need to make an impact in those other areas, not just your personal stat sheet.

I sort of had an epiphany of some sort, and am really starting to see why t-mac was traded, and why even with another superstar at the helm we have been doomed to numerous first round exits. He needs to take the reins on this team as a leader, and by his dedication elevate the players that surround him to a higher level. He on the other hand from what other players have said, is a loner, who doesn't really interact with the team, shows up, plays his game, and goes home.

I'm a big a t-mac fan as any and am not trying to bash in any way his playing ability, but this video really opened my eyes to the faults that plague him.

5. Ngadban

Ngadban Member

Also it just struck me that I am now a member, thank you clutch =]

6. okaylam

okaylam Member

Thanks for the clip, always interesting to see the opinions of coaches and management.

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

In four years, the Magic went from lottery team to Eastern power.

In four years, the Rockets went from first round playoff team to first round playoff team.

AT BEST, this was a lateral move for the Rockets. He was brought in not just to get over the hump, but to help the Rockets contend for a championship. He has done NEITHER.

Very telling that all of his flaws from four years ago remain to this very day (the very things most of us have been "b****ing" about).

Too bad Rockets management didn't get to see this before they decided to pull the trigger, or rather, put the car in neutral.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Injuries have really slowed down T-Mac. If T-Mac never had those back injuries, you think he'd be the same player he is right now? You can't really do anything about injuries. They just happen. Was last year's T-Mac so bad? The guy helped us win 22 straight games while getting his teammates involved, and played pretty damn good in the Playoffs. I believe the main thing that holds T-Mac back is health.

9. superden

superden Member

Maybe in the regular season...but everyone who watches him play in the playoffs knows he brings it. Just none of his players are willing to make wide open shots in a game seven.

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

very interesting video. doesn't seem like t-mac is missed in orlando at all. i wonder, in 10 years when t-mac's done. will we miss him?

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Member

At the surface, your statements are true. But it's really hard to blame McGrady for the team's inability to get out of the 1st round thusfar. Concerning the post season, he's done far more good than bad.

Nevermind that many of us on the bbs will disagree on Mcgrady, but one thing remains fact and won't change. Trading him now is just not smart. If you are going to look to move him, you move him in the last year of his contract. If we have such a low opinion of him, why would anyone else take on his contract for more than the absolute minimum amount of time?

So you go as far as you can with him. Hopefully this year is great. If it isn't, you re-evaluate the situation when it can be a possiblity to move him/anyone else.

12. Ngadban

Ngadban Member

That goes back to the statement reiterating his ability to take the reins as a leader and pave the way for improvement of his fellow teammates. Rather than encouraging them and having a competitive nature to push them to the next level, rather than the isolationalist mentality that pervades him.

Also to say that the 22 game win streak was strictly because of McGrady would be a fallible statement. Obviously it would not happen without him, but that statement discredits the elevated play that his teammates brought around him. We know that the potential is there, but he is a leader must demand that from them, not passively show indifference and fill up the stat sheet.

The problem is that many as well as myself have been blinded by his ability to do what he does on the court and its simply is unmatched, but not really looking at what he doesn't bring in terms of leadership, competitiveness, and elevating his teammates games.

13. yobod

yobod Member

That's a highly simplistic view of the matter. 4 years for any NBA team that doesn't have a nucleus (such as the Magic did 4 years ago after the trade) is an absolute eternity. You don't think the acquisitions of Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis, the development of Hedo Turkoglu, the hiring of Stan Van Gundy, or the firing of John Weisbrod had ANYTHING to do with the Magic becoming a legit Eastern team? For the Rockets, this was a trade that was going get us from being a bottom rung playoff team in the West, to being a legit 1-4, which it has done. Injuries are something that you cannot foresee, but you MUST take into account.

14. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

the commercial at the end of the video cracked me up. :D

15. Th3 Drunk Goat

it sucks to hear those reasons why they traded him and i can only disagree now with a couple of those statements. But we still have the last laugh because Franics is with us and mobley is with the clips.

16. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

How is Orlando a Eastern powerhouse?

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This is what a lot of us are talking about regarding TMac.

So much talent.....no leadership....sad.

DD

#17 DaDakota, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think we can all somewhat agree on those comments being fairly accurate. At the same time if you saw McGrady during the Mavericks series you know he has matured. Game 5 against Utah this year, 1st half. He can compete. He can do the things necessary. Its just inconsistency, due to either injury or bad coaching (not bashing Adelman). He can't lead because he doesn't have the right attitude, he yells and gets on teammates (Scola made FT against Jazz in playoffs for example) but I feel leadership can be addressed elsewhere.

19. heypartner

heypartner Member

I don't care what any TMac critics or Weisbrod say about him. That was a very bad trade for Orlando. They already had the Howard pick in the bag when they made that trade. They could have traded for almost anyone they wanted. In the end, they didn't get anyone for Cuttino (Christie refused to play), and they basically had to give Francis away because he couldn't play with Howard.

Besides, Orlando was a sub-500 team for 3yrs after that until just last year. They would have been an 8th seed in the West last year. They aren't a powerhouse anymore than the Rockets are.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

HP,

But they got out of Tmac's contract, and got players whom at the time they could build around.

Francis and Mobley were not chopped liver, they were quality NBA guards, and they rid themselves of a cancerous situation with Tmac, not to mention Tmac could opt out, and leave them with nothing.

I think they got the best deal they could, and at the end of the day, I think both teams got better.

DD