1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RANT] Why some people in their late 20s to early 30s stay live with their parents?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by H-Town Info, Aug 31, 2013.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

They're some people that I know among the age group that stay with their parents but who still blow most of their money on buying new cars, participating in expensive hobbies, mindless spending habits, Starbucks, traveling, eating out, etc. Also, they don't save enough money on even any mid to long term goals in life to have the foundation for their future (house, retirement, renting apartment/condo, etc) and still have different amounts of debt to pay for his/her adventures/hobbies. Finally, they live at home rent-free from mom and dad.

So why do people in this age group still do this and learn how to grow-up? I for one still live at home but I'm saving money for 20% down payment next year for a house, have a lots in savings/retirement, and planning things for the long-term when I meet my future wife one day. Yes I know you should have fun while you're young and everything but also you have to learn to take responsibilities in life as an adult and learn how to be on your own in the real world.

My two cents.

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Short answer to your rant: They're irresponsible nitwits.

Long answer: Unrelated to the aforementioned nitwits, there's an interesting trend going on wherein more young people are staying at home...but despite many a "oh noes" article, the Atlantic has a more likely explanation.

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

In many cultures (Asian primarily), parents are the responsibility of children so they stay with them to take care of them.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

either:
    A) millennials don't care about owning a house / living on their own
    or
    B) asian

5. ILoveWhiteGirls

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm 24. Just started my first job out of college last month and hoping to finish graduate school in May. By then I'm hoping to have enough saved for a down payment on a house. I'd move out now but I would prefer to save enough now so I could own something instead of just throwing away money at rent.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Professional job market and rental costs; no need to over-analyze it. Our two most common domestic models: nuclear family, young urban professional; are really only about sixty years old, and really weren't feasible until electricity and a lack of World Wars came along.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I have several friends around my age that resemble what OP is talking about. Still live at home but their money habits are nothing like mine. These guys go out drinking almost every day, party it up, waste all their money on buying bottles, and have nothing to show for it. On top of that they're not going to school and don't have actual careers yet they choose to blow all their money on looking like they are worth more than they actually have which I just find incredibly stupid. I mean these dudes wear suits to a local neighborhood bar. Smh. Aren't planning anything for their future all while probably developing a bad liver.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I just moved into my first home last Monday. I have been working on Grad school while working full time. I have never liked the idea of staying at home, even though I am both Arab and Filipino. My ambitions keep me from wanting to become "that guy who lives with his parents still" even though all the other arab families have asked my dad why I moved out (asking because to them it is a sign of disrespect since I am not married yet).

10. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Some of it is cultural. I am Mexican American and it is not nearly as frowned upon in our community. It's actually normal. Many of my friends have jobs, myself included but we live at home. It is a lot more common to move out when you get married then to move out just for independence. Personally, I work and go to school and it just makes more sense to add to my family's household income than to pay rent.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Cause they're freeloaders, broke, unemployed, and/or have no credit? Well, if you're white anyway. See...we whites get stereotyped, too. ;

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Once I left for college at age 18, I never lived with my parents again. Actually never even had a roommate again. The counter argument to "throwing away money on rent" is that it's a great motivator to further your career (gotta get your bread up), as well as it's good for independence. Plus how are you gonna work it with the hunnies if you're living with your parents? Does not compute.

13. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Lol but for my purposes, these people are young professionals.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm 26, and those I went to high school with who are still at home with their parents are usually some combination of the following:

College dropouts
    Drink too much/do drugs
    F***ing morons
    Received a bachelor's in something like history, psychology or philosophy and have no desire to go to grad school
    Have no desire to have a better job than the retail job they've been working since they were 16

They put unbelievable strain on their parents, and I actually feel sorry for them when I bump in to some of them and we talk about what we're doing nowadays. It is hard for me to believe that so many people I knew in high school are, to this point, irretrievable losers. And I say this as someone who has accomplished very little since high school - but I've at least gone on my own and have fully supported myself for a few years now, and am poised to do so from hereon out.

::EDIT::

I am not here talking about those currently in, say, grad school. I'm talking about the go-nowhere types.

#14 Haymitch, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I see what you're saying but I am plenty motivated on my own without anymore financial strain. I've been working full time since I was 16. Put myself through undergrad and now grad school. Seeing how my parents have done everything they can to give me and my siblings as much as they could with so little is plenty of motivation for me to keep going and achieve everything they were unable to.

And I have no problem in the girl department. Been happily in a relationship for 4 years. She lives at home too. :cool:

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Even taking away the promotion of independence, responsibility, and sexy time with ladies, that has always seemed like such an odd argument to me. How is renting a place to live "throwing money away"? You need a place to live. It's like saying someone's throwing away money when they buy food or clothes.

You don't have to worry about taxes, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, etc.

I own a house now, but that's because my woman and I plan on being at our employers and in the city of Houston for the next several years* at least.

*It takes a long time to get her to change her mind. I successfully put the idea of kids-right-after-marriage on ice, and now I'm working on us moving to a cooler climate - I'm tired of this damn heat!

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

My parents still live with their parents and I live with mine... it's a long chain.

18. ILoveWhiteGirls

I don't see how this is a problem? If you have a home of your own, good for you. What, you want a cookie or something? If they want to drink/smoke weed and party all day while living on mom and dad expenses, what's it to you?

1 person likes this.
  19. AXG

AXG Member

The economy hasn't exactly helped either. I basically continued with my college internship because available jobs were scarce. I made practically nothing so I moved back in with my parents. I was job searching for another year before getting accepted into grad school.

20. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Totally agree that money is not "throwing away money". You need a roof over your head, clothes, food, water, electricity, transportation, etc. I myself don't really want to rent right now because I want to save the 20% to buy a place in the city to live for several years at least until I have my wife and kids to move out into the suburbs.

So I questioned myself to the people that I'm talking about, would you pay the money to have freedom and independence to have privacy to yourselves with bf/gf, bring the ladies over, and do whatever you want to? Why still live at home but still blow your money on things that deprecate over time, buying the latest and greatest, and things that doesn't help you in the long run?