1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Rant] - Stupid Neighbor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stack24, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Okay I haven't ranted in a while so here goes. With all this talk about neighbors on the board I think i should join in and put my 2 cents in and see what to do. So 4 days ago my cable goes completly out leaving me withouth internet and cable when i get home at nights. It happened during the time of the storms so i figured it might have something to do with that so i went ahead and waited one day and when it didnt come back on I called in a support call. So they finally come out today and see that my line was cut off at the main box which of course as many of you know are usually located in one persons yard which about 5 or 6 users will tap into. I used to have this box in my old house.

Well that wouldn't be a big deal but this is about the 4th time that i have ahd my cable go out and when they come out they have to run a new line because for some mysterious reason it is cut off from the main persons box in their back yard. The last time this happened the guy told me it wasn't like it was ripped out accidently but it had a nice clean cut. He said it doesn't look like a lawn mower cuase it would have frayed the edges. He said it was more of a clean cut with wire cutters. I couldn't believe it at first and he also mentioned that they have replaced wires a few times in these houses around us for the same thing.

Do i just have a crazy neighbor that is cutting the lines for the hell of it or what? I couldn't honestly think that someone would do that. Do they really hate having the cables in their backyard or something...im in the process of calling Time Warner and asking them what the deal is and what i can do to prevent this....god this really pisses me off..

Maybe im just jumping to conclusions but damn what else can i think at this point.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Do you have any problems with your neighbor?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Does your neighbor have teen age kids?

4. Stack24

It's not even a neighbor on my side of the street it's the other side of the fence on a different street...i have never met this person in my life...and we don't have any problems with any neighbors....i don't even really interact with any of them...

5. bobrek

Generally the outside cable box serves more than one house. Ask the other house if anyone has been cutting their cable line.

6. Stack24

yeah i know it serves more than one person...just got off the phone with TWC they said they can't really do anything that i would have to take it up with my neighbor in regards to the problem.....

7. bobrek

The box we have is in my yard and there is no exposed cable except where it comes into my house (perhaps 50 feet away). In order for someone to cut my cable they would have to physically break into the box or cut it near my house or dig up the cable from underground.

Is there actually exposed cable around the box or is it easily accesible to any and every one?

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Pure laziness on Time Warner's part. The cable should be underground and not exposed. Even if it is exposed, the neighbor should not cut it. Time Warner should warn him. It's not your duty. He is tampering with their property.

I would report it using the cable theft number. They may take it more seriously since the guy is stealing your cable by cutting your line. Frame it as cable theft. If a cop shows up at the neighbor's door, he will crap his pants.

#8 Smokey, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Call the cops. Someone is destroying property. If its the owner of the house they'll probably cut it out when the cops show up on his doorstep. If it is kids the owner will probably also put a stop to it when the cops show up on his doorstep.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Kick his ass and ask questions later...

11. Stack24

See i doubt he is is stealing cable since the line is just cut...everything seems to be buried according to time warner each time...i dunno ill wait and see what happens this time.

12. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

maybe when he cuts everyone's lines, his download speed doubles or triples, and he's that desperate for it......but that would be pretty crazy

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That doesn't mean you can't call it in as a cable theft. ;)

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Ok I haven't had this happen to me but I have one of those cable distribution boxes in my backyard. The bad thing is the TWC installers (usually contractors) are so lazy that they didn't even attempt to bury my next door neighbor's new cable line. It was just laying on top of my grass. The wire came up from underneath the cover. I even reported this twice to TWC (and I'm not even a customer) because I was worried about cutting it w/my mower. I used to mow up to that area and then use a weed wacker to carefully cut the rest of it.

Well TWC never came out to fix it so my dad went back there and buried it. Thank goodness too cause I was getting tired of mowing around it. Anyways to make a long story short, at least you got TWC to come out and do something.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's BS. It's their customer and their equipment. Their customer is cutting their cable line, how is that your problem?

I'll bet the guy is cutting the line on purpose so he can get better reception and/or faster download times. Not sure if that would make a difference, but he probably just assumes it does. He's probably some kind of child molestor who wants to download his kiddie p*rn faster.

You should call TWC back and ask to speak to a manager. Their customer is destroying their equipment. It really shouldn't have anything to do with you aside from the fact that it's your line he's cutting.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

He's stealing from you. You pay for cable and you cannot watch cause he keeps cutting the line. Sounds like theft to me.

Doesn't someone here work for Time Warner? Maybe they can give you a number that you can speak to someone who can do something and not some customer service rep who has no clue.

17. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

If you have a clear line of sight to the cable box from your property, set up a camera and record it...

or just call the cops like people have been suggesting.

18. Stack24

Thanks for all the tips guys. Tomorrow im goign to see where the cable leads to and see if i have a path to video tape anything just in case.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Talk to Steely Dan.

I hear they have this Russian Navy Seal dude.

20. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

For the right price i know people that would take care of your problem..!!! :p