1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Rant] Oi! soccer fan can kiss my Rockets $ss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, May 19, 2007.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Last night I'm minding my own business working on a Guiness at a pub, conversation gets to someone asking me about Game 7.

drop head
    lift hand to cover eyes
    shake head slowly
    say, "It is so sad. I'm still not over it."

then soccer fan says, "You don't know what pain is unless your team loses in the World Cup."

Then foreign soccer fan went on to say how only a soccer fan from a country where soccer is the national pasttime can possibly understand "real sports fan pain."

<h3>You can kiss my $SS Soccer fan!</h3><ul><li>You can kiss my Dream worshipping $SS
    <li>You can kiss my Rudy wannabe $SS
    <li>You can kiss my Moses stinky $SS
    <li>You can kiss my Ray Patterson lucky $SS
    <li>You can kiss my Murphy laughing $SS
    <li>You can kiss my Clyde gliding $SS
    <li>You can kiss my CD blind $SS
    <li>You can kiss my Cuttino sexy $SS
    <li>You can kiss my K9 biting $SS
    <li>You can kiss my kroshfya, Dave2000, Rockets2K appreciating $SS
    </ul>You can kiss my $SS

please feel free to chime in as needed Rockets FAN!

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have anger issues. Listen to your niece and seek help.

He is right, though...they are way more insane about football elsewhere than basketball here (and that is probably good for us). Fans don't try to kill each other at basketball games. When it turns to the World Cup, it is essentially modern warfare for countries that have often violent pasts with each other. We no longer have a Hundred Years War...we have England v France on the football field. Nationalism, competition, conflict, everything factors in. I was in Dublin in 90' when they beat a team that should have killed them. It was complete insanity in the streets. Actually not violent at all unlike recently but absolutely insane.

3. heypartner

You can kiss my $ss rimbaud!

what does hooligan sports violence have to do with the feeling of pain! every person has a maximum potential of sports pain...or any pain. What the sport is does not matter. What level of team (country, state, city, etc) does not matter.

It is equivalent to some puppy dog emo telling me I can't feel his heartbroken pain.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

REPRESENT HEYP!!!

yea, screw them, its just fortunate enough we haven't experienced, well me at least, the Rockets losing in the Finals. I was like 2 when they lost to the Celtics.

5. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

on a side note, Chelsea just won the F.A. Cup against Manchester United.

Many soccer fans in London are in pain now...

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

1. Soccer fandom is part of the culture of soccer countries. I can understand what the fan is getting at...but...

2. It's stupid for one fan to say 'I'm a bigger fan and you wouldn't understand.' If you need to get into a pissing contest over who's the bigger fan maybe you should get a life. (Not referring to you heyp, but the hooligan)

3. The most diehard fan of any sport is equivalent to the most diehard fan of another sport, even if we're comparing soccer to curling. Although that curling dude must be screwed up.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I hate to say but I must agree with the soccer fan. In basketball there is always a next year only 6 months away and Draft and Free Agency to forward to in between. However in Soccer the next big thing is 4 freaking years away and likely that your team won't make another run with the same group of players. So its like you spend all these years of your life ponder the sad misery of defeat. Now had you been talking about amateur soccer aka MLS then I would say to kick my ass as well. But on second thought the Dynamos were the last Houston team to win anything meaningful so I take that back SOCCER RULES!!! :D

GO DYNAMOS!!!

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Better not chime in when HP is in pain. :(

9. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Just an example of them feeling it too much, I suppose. You didn't touch on my nationalism bit, though, which is more compelling.

You don't understand because you are just a heypartner. If you were a heycomrade or heychap or heyfrog you might (and, no, just drinking heyeringobraugh beer doesn't count). Alas, you are smitten with partnerdom thus dooming you to perpetual $$$ sores.

PS - I am still sad, too. And frustrated, and offended, and sick. My prstate still hurts.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The soccer fan is right - in terms of the degree of sadness and mourning that takes over a whole nation when your country exits the world cup.

That said, when you are a fan and your team is ousted, it is always painful, no matter which sport and what level of competition.

11. heypartner

I've learned a lesson to not derail my own thread. You almost got me!

I will remark about your "nationalism bit" tomorrow or sometime.

Until then, I want to know what tinman says. You know tinman, I was thinking of you when soccer fan was lecturing me.

I got your back!

12. heypartner

damn, I didn't even get to this paragraph before making my last response.

haha

you know what the difference is between me and you, rimbaud? When I registered here I picked a moniker that is well-known as a friendly greeting by all Texas. What did you pick? You picked the name of an obscure, artsy, foreigner who you think is smarter than everyone else.

13. heypartner

soccer fan did! and he can kiss my $SS!

14. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Were you thinking of him busting out his "Rockets Greats" flashcards, throwing them down on the bar, and creating a narrative against the evil football fan? Seriously, can Tinman the bbs persona exist in the real world without picture postings? How awkward would that be? As awkward as heypartner's yellow shirts and baby blue baseball caps on the dance floor?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sports pain is the same in all sports for passionate fans.

I hate when people compare their fandom like it is more than someone elses.

HP....preach on PREACHER !!

DD

16. heypartner

it was Oiler blue!

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I still remember some cute asian girls (either Korean or Japanese I think) crying like they had just lost their loved ones on TV after their national team had been eliminated from the last World Cup.......Oh seeing cute girls crying always melts my heart. ;)

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

heyparter, I would probably agree with you but I've traveled too much and personally know people who have overreacted to losing in the World Cup. It would blow your mind. I'll tell you one non-World Cup story to give you an idea:

It was December 2003 and the SEA (Southeast Asia) Games were going on in Hanoi. We were out doing dinner when Vietnam was playing Indonesia at soccer. Vietnam was like 0-14-1 in their last 15 soccer matches. The people in that country are so mild and friendly I was totally unprepared for what happened.

The game was shown on huge big screen monitors in the streets and thousand of people were gathered around each one watching the game live (which was happening in the stadium). We stood around too and I was watching the intensity of the crowd more than the game. A couple of times Vietnam came close to scoring and the collective intensity of the excitement and groan of a near miss hit me like a lightening strike. Mind you, I had zero interest in the outcome but those people were in another dimension.

We made it to a restaurant and got our food. It turned out Vietnam won. For the next 5 hours (from ~9pm to 2-3am), the streets of Hanoi were packed with chanting Vietnamese screaming at the top of their lungs. It would have been scary except there wasn't a hint of violence that we could see. People walked, were on motorcycles, cars, bicycles, etc and traffic moved at about 2 mph. This wasn't even the World Cup; it was the SEA Games for crying out loud!

That's one story and there are others. Soccer enthusiasm beats everything else by a mile. It's hard for an American to understand if you haven't traveled and seen a couple of examples for yourself.

19. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Bull****. You think being in Brazil the day after losing in the World Cup Final is the equivalent of being in Houston the day after they lose in the NBA Finals? Seriously, you think the level of pain is equal in both cities?

Unless on some subconscious level, you view America as the world and the states as countries, then I can't imagine you'd be in more pain than a French or Brazilian soccer fan would be after a loss.

Keep in mind that the world cup comes around every 4 years while the NBA championship is up for grabs every year.

There's more.... In soccer you only get to take home every THIRD world cup that you win... So bringing the actual cup back home means you have to win 3 times which takes AT LEAST 8 years.

There's more.... There's WAY more national pride in soccer than there is for Americans... It's great that you love a team where you live or where ur from, but when you're supporting your BLOOD its different...

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

There are never riots after sporting events in America. ;)