1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RANT] Best Buy!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Nov 7, 2007.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Why do people shop at this store? They do NOT have good deals, always overpriced, customer service sucks, if you want to return something there, good luck. Heres my story. My mom sends me a Xbox 360 video game for my birthday. She buys it from Best Buy and sends the gift receipt with it. Im thinking, well hell, I dont care if its $100 store credit, there is NOTHING I want to buy from Best Buy. So I figure I might can get Sam's Club or Wal-Mart to take it back..... they both say the UPC isnt registered in their system. So I crawl back to Best Buy to get store credit, I then go on to buy my nieces a digital camera with the store credit ($60 of credit, then $70 cash.)

So 2 days later, I go online and see the camera I bought is on SALE on BestBuy.com So I go back to the store a few minutes ago to get a pricematch. The guy was reluctant to do it at first cause he claims he couldn't see a price on the printed copies I printed out for him! So after showing it, he says "oh, yeah..." And sure enough he says its store policy to give me back STORE CREDIT in the amount of $14.07!!!! So now, I HAVE to buy something else I really don't WANT to buy.

So why do people shop at Best Buy? At Circuit City I've had NOTHING but pleasure from buying/returning from them. I remember a couple yrs ago I had bought a nice panasonic camcorder, I had no warranty on it, no special insurance program on it and we went out sailing on a boat and I dropped it and it broke. I went a few days later, stood in a short line, the guy ask what happened and I told him I dropped it and it broke. He kindly went in the back, got a new one out, and exchanged the actual camera for me. Besides, in the last year I've probably returned $100-$150 of merchandise to them, some without the receipt, others with the receipt but it had been like 74 days or something since I purchased it, no questions asked.

Kinda funny now that Im thinking. The guy on this forum who sold his $300 best buy gift card for like $270 or something... lol I woulda done the same thing.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, they SUCK...SUCCCKKK!

I won't buy there. I won't go in the store. I've had way too many issues with them. I actually had a sales rep tell me that beggars couldn't be choosers. I said, sure I can, and left.

There are all sorts of horror stories about Worst Buy. Recently some guy bought a hard drive and the box was filled with ceramic tiles. They wouldn't refund his money. Some guy a few years ago tried to price match a copied reciept, and they called the cops and tried to charge him with some kind of bogus fraud charges. Google Best Buy sucks for more fun stories.

Comcast also sucks. And Sprint sucks a hard one. These suckers are all in bed together doing what they do best...sucking.

3. bladeage

bladeage Member

Ask your mom.

4. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

I"ve had good luck with best buy, it is a good store.

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

If you have money to spend on overpriced merchandises then BB would be for you. I, for one, would just wait for a sale at CC.

6. DieHard Rocket

If that's true, that's probably why Circuit City is fading fast in the consumer electronics market. If you dropped the thing why should they replace it? That's $200 out of their pocket for your carelessness.

I used to work for Best Buy...I'm not going to sit here and defend them all but some stores are better than others. It really just depends on each stores management...if they have poor managers that go out and hire poor employees the store isn't going to have good service and vice-versa. I think since they have gotten so big with so many stores it's hard to really find the best management for each store when they have so many positions to fill...not to mention turnover in retail is pretty high.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

ive actually never had a problem with BB, however, I only go there to buy DVDs and video games...I LOVE FRY'S. The best prices in Houston. I got 6 HDMI cables for $36 two weekends ago. If there were more Fry's locations in Houston, BB and CC would never survive.

I hate Circuit City the most. Sometimes they dont have DVD's or video games the first day they come out. They're prices are atrocious. Maybe thats why they've been cutting down on employees lately.

8. Nero

Nero Member

I worked for several years at both Circuit City and Best Buy. Your treatment depends ENTIRELY on the individual management of the store and the assistants who happen to be on duty at any given time.

These people, you must understand, have their income, their bonuses, EVERYTHING, tied directly into the percentage of margins, profit, and service policies they can sell. Accessories generate a LOT OF margin, primary hardware (particularly computer equipment) do not. Service policies generate a lot of profit, having to take ANY kind of a loss, such as price-matching, refunding against their OWN ads, or having to reduce prices on open box items, all of those things negatively impact the bottom line.

Some managers understand that happy customers will buy MORE in their store, some more short-sighted managers care only about today, and today's margins, and do not care one bit about the customers. This is true of both BBand CC, so again, your experience has less to do with the store, and more to do with the managers involved.

If you really want your experiences to improve, then any time you receive great service at any of these stores, ask for the manager's name and address. Call him/her, tell them you wanted to thank them for the good service, and mention the employee by name. THEN send some mail to the store manager's boss, repeating everything.

Believe me, this happens SO rarely that these guys will practically orgasm on the spot, and if it happens a few times, they will actually start asking the guy what he is doing to improve customer service so much.

More and better customer experiences will follow, like a snowball.

Having said all that, I seriously doubt your story about the dropped camcorder is true, but if it is, it was certainly not store policy, that's a fact.

Anyway, one last thing, if you have what you consider to be a legit return, or even one that may be JUST outside the boundaries, if you are having to argue with a store manager about it, here is a FACT for you: the Store Manager CAN - I repeat- *CAN* make exceptions to the store policy governing returns as a 'customer service' situation. If a manager tells you that they CANNOT take care of your problem because of company policy, then they are LYING to you.

Personally, now, about the only time I ever shop in BB (which is very close to my house) or CC (not so close) is when they have something on a ridiculous sale, or, more often, simply as a convenient place to get a price match against Fry's.

I actually enjoy going in there and making them chop a $60 game or something down to $20. :)

9. Extraordinary_2

This place charge 20 bucks for a plastic cable that you can buy online for two bucks with free shipping, and it only cost them less than five cents to get them.

10. Extraordinary_2

I think Frys is the best out there for deals.

11. wazzupmane?

wazzupmane? Member

I go to Best Buy every Tuesday for the new DVDs and CDs. If Circuit City has them for less than I'll go there. I've never had a problem with returns at Best Buy or circuit city, but just prefer to shop at Best Buy since they usually give you their specials with instant rebates unlike CC and radio shack with their mail in rebates. There is no Frys store in my area, so maybe I'm missing out.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Nero is pretty right about it. I worked at Best buy for 3 years and it's all about who is working. They can give you a hard time or they can be really nice.

I worked there till about 2001 and during that time things started to change. It was really easy to do a lot of stuff and then over time they saw how much they were losing and started making changes to a bunch of policies like their returns and their warranties.

Everyone started taking advantage of things because it was so easy. Now Best Buy is one of the hardest and most annoying to deal with at times.

One piece of advice if you have any real problems if you call Corporate or the District office and be really nice and explain your problem they usually take care of it. That was a little trick I learned while working there and have used it a few times to get a completely new laptop because of stupid techs that messed my laptop up. What the district of corporate office says goes and the store honors it right then.

13. IROC it

IROC it Member

I've never had a problem with Best Buy.

Circuit City and Fry's, however, have employees that stand in huddles and ignore you without fail.

At least in Plano, that's how it is.

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Question:

I purchased a Warranty plan for the TV I bought from CircuitCity. How may I be eligible for the warranty? I've heard of people recieving the TV of the same model or a TV that's worth the amount paid(in my case $2000) at the time. I have a 3 year plan.

15. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

In Texas, you have to shop at Frys. Best electronics store ever.

Problem is, if you live outside Texas, good luck finding one. A lot of the time you're forced to shop at crappy stores like Compusa and Bestbuy just because there isn't any better alternative.

16. Mr. Brightside

I haven't bought an actual electronic item over $50 at a physical brick and mortar store in over 4 years. The best deals for electronics is online. Pretty much everything else is also cheaper and better online other than fresh produce and bread.

I know it for a fact.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

California has boatload of Frys. Outpost.com is their internet arm.

18. A-Train

A-Train Member

At least a TV didn't fall on your head...

19. Cohen

Cohen Member

This critique from a customer who tried to screw Sam's and Walmart over by returning a product to them that they didn't even sell?

I doubt many retailers would worry about losing your business.

20. Cohen

Cohen Member

I recall what it was like in the California Frys when they shifted over to commissions... it sucked. Like being piled on by used car salesmen. Experienced similar in Austin but only in the PC department.