1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rage Against the Machine to Paul Ryan: We Don't Like You

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Aug 17, 2012.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Paul Ryan's Favorite Band to Paul Ryan - You are the Machine Against which we Rage

Kind of amusing. I guess he is the Machine.

Last week, Mitt Romney picked Paul Ryan, the Republican architect of Congress's radical right-wing budget plan, as his running mate. Ryan has previously cited Rage Against the Machine as one of his favorite bands. Rage guitarist Tom Morello responds in this exclusive op-ed.

Paul Ryan's love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn't understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn't understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ur-music-rages-against-20120816#ixzz23oyfOtZ7

#1 SamFisher, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Nook

Nook Member

How out of touch does Ryan have to be?

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So out of touch that he likes listening to a band that disagrees with him politically?

I guess it is nothing but Toby Keith from now on? :confused:

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

listening <> favorite

5. Nook

Nook Member

The band does not just disagree with his politics. Virtually ALL their songs and lyrics are the EXACT opposite of everything Ryan believes in and stands for.

I would see your point if we were talking about a less political band, or one that was concerned about subjects of politics....

As it is, it makes for a good head scratcher.

BTW Toby Keith is a Democrate.

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

n October 2008, Keith told CMT that he had left the Democratic Party and has re-registered as an independent. "My party that I've been affiliated with all these years doesn't stand for anything that I stand for anymore," he says. "They've lost any sensibility that they had, and they've allowed all the kooks in. So I'm going independent." He also told CMT that he would likely vote for the Republican ticket, partially because of his admiration for Sarah Palin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Keith

Republicans are free to listen to Mr. Keith.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd be missing out on a lot of good music if I only listened to artists who I agreed with politically.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i read this article yesterday along with silversun pickups asking romney not to play "panic switch"

why is that good music does not like republicans? not a rhetorical question i suppose...

9. Nook

Nook Member

He has stated he ended up voting for Obama.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Would you listen to a band that has virtually all their lyrics geared against what you believe in?

This isnt a band that has democrat members, this is a band that is extremely political, the entire basis of the band is political... I find it odd that Ryan would like them unless he is clueless as to what they are about.

Whatever, it is not a big deal and I understand your point.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If I enjoyed the music I would. What I would not do is pay to see them IF it were a political fundraiser.

For example, one of my favorite artisits is Jackson Browne. I buy all of his music and go see him in concert. However, if his concert was desginated as a politcial fundraiser, I would pass.

12. juicystream

Because you have to agree with the lyrics to enjoy good music?

It would be one thing if he said he agrees with their lyrics, and them to say he doesn't understand what they are saying. Entirely different to like their music.

Hell, I like a lot of music that I don't have any idea what half the lyrics are. Love the sound.

13. TheresTheDagger

Why exactly does it matter whether you like the music/acting of a specific performer...even if they happen to support a different party?

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They're not just another band though. They're probably the most political band around and always have been. That's what their music about. They're not Sheryl Crow.

15. Nook

Nook Member

That is fair enough... but just keep in mind, virtually all of Rage Against the Machines lyrics are extremely political and call for political action.

I just find it odd... I can see Pearl Jam or Jackson Browne, everyone knows their politics, but it is not the central theme to most of their songs.

1 person likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

That is kind of the point though....

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

haha I remember listening to them in middle school

"I HATE YOU MOM AND DAD"

great music for getting pumped up though

18. juicystream

I don't care what the music is about when I listen to it. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Every band is just another band to me.

1 person likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yeah man, they're like, political and stuff

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It actually reminds me of the modern day version of this:

[​IMG]

Is it amusing? Yes. Does it matter in the scheme of grand social issues of the day? probably not.

I leave you with the last few minutes of "Killing in the Name", probably their best song.

**** you, I won't do what you tell me.
    **** YOU, I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!
    **** YOU, T WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!
    **** YOU, I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!!

Heh. I wonder what Ryan thought it meant. Probably a call for Randian objectivism.