1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Radiohead- Just in case you didn't feel like showing up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by studogg, May 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

I've already heard the entire album its very good. My um friend downloaded it, I can't wait to get to the store and buy that $18 disk. ;)

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i look forward to getting the album. "kid a" was the only subpar album that they've had. "national anthem" rocked though (even though there were only like three words in the song).

coldplay and travis owe their careers to rh.

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I downloaded the real thing last night (was mastered), and was really impressed. It seems to be a great blend of their previous albums. It has hints of the Bends, OK computer, and Kid A. I cant wait to buy it when it comes out.

Also has anyone heard if they still plan to include a re-recorded version of Pablo Honey with it? I read about this on Greenplastic.com a few months ago and have read absolutly nothing since.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

if you downloaded 'hail to the thief' prior to it's official release... you will want to buy the CD because what was out there for download were incomplete tracks. according to radiohead, the songs still lacked final mastering and they still had music to layer onto those released tracks.

so to get the final product, you should buy the CD.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

I agree I could never get into Kid A, but this album is much better. In downloading the album I probably got 3/4 of the songs, but I really have no idea what the song titles or what intended order of the album is supposed to be. Hopefully buying it right away at bestbuy or a good record shop will only hit me for about $12. I'll never forget their show at the Woodlands pavilion absolutely incredible! :D

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Okay, a couple of things:

#1 - "Kid A" was not a subpar album. "Amnesiac" was a subpar album. However, if you are not into techno/electronic music, then "Kid A" is probably not for you.

#2 - I have 2 Travis CDs and what you say may be true, but you are WAY off-base with Coldplay. Just because they are from Britain and play their own instruments and write their own songs don't mean that they owe their careers to Thom Yorke and the boys.

That is the in-thing to say, though, these days as all the critics like to believe that all bands from Britain owe their careers to Radiohead.

Yes, Radiohead is great, but I implore you to listen closer to Coldplay if you truly believe that line from the critics.

As for myself, I have already downloaded this album and I thought it was better than "Amnesiac" but not better than "Kid A", but that could change over time. Of course, I will be at the music store on the 10th to buy this album.

8. OmegaSupreme

i disagree with amnesiac being a subpar album. i'm VERY into electronica and techno, but "kid a" doesn't qualify as either... does it? if you're going to compare "kid a" to electronica or techno, you might as well compare it to new wave 80s stuff with the synthesizers (sp?) and keyboards because that's pretty much was "kid a" is (not saying 80s music is bad though). i hope the album rocks... after "ok computer" there's no where to go, but down.

yes, it's the "in thing" to say that rh lead the path for bands like travis and coldplay. just because it's the "in thing" doesn't mean it isn't true. i'm sure neither one of those bands would have had the success that they've had without "creep" breaking airwaves here. i doubt we would have seen coldplay at the grammys this year if it hadn't been for rh. good for them.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

eh

That's pretty much been my response to the last three Radiohead albums. Plus, I have a hard time ignoring the opinions and subject matter the album is concerned with, and that is something that usually comes pretty easy for me. I mean seriously...<i>Hail to the Thief</i>? That has to be the most trite album title ever created. How much more obvious can you get?

Comparing the new album to OK Computer is an insult to that fine album's integrity!

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

i'll not even dignify the posts of which album was better than what and which one was lackluster. I love Radiohead, but I know that music is subjective and certain people wanted repeats of the bends. I loved Kid A and the whole transition and thought that Amnesiac was a wonderfully produced and thoughtful album. I have enjoyed the tracks I have heard off the new album so far and can't wait to see them in concert again. For those that feel the same way I do and haven't heard the studio complete versions of these songs, listen until your heart is content

11. Manny Ramirez

Omega,

I am pretty sure that Coldplay's first two albums have sold more copies in the US than Travis's first two albums in the US.

I mean Travis is a good band, but Coldplay is phenomenal.

I take it that you have never heard Coldplay's stuff because if you had, then after a couple of listens, it is apparent (or at least to me) that they are anything like Radiohead.

Part of the problem is that Radiohead doesn't really sound like themselves after every album. The Radiohead of "The Bends" is pretty much long gone now. But even then Coldplay has more acoustic sounding stuff and more orchestral arrangements than that era of Radiohead. Also, Coldplay's stuff is so simple but at the same time striking that it takes a few listens for it to sink in.

I think most people don't really listen closely to them and thus, they say, "oh another band from England that plays their own stuff and writes their own stuff...just like Radiohead." That is really where all that stuff comes from, but take it from someone who has every album by both bands (except for expensive import EPs), these 2 bands sound NOTHING alike.

12. OmegaSupreme

i'm give up, manny :D i thought that i'd go to bed, but i'm going out clubbing. by myself of course. damn clicky atlantans!

13. Manny Ramirez

Heh, you are in my "forum" now, Omega!:D

Hangout regulars can tell you that I am one of the biggest Radiohead fans around, so I feel that can discuss them like others like to do with politics around here!

14. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Manny proves once again to be the voice of reason.

I gotta disagree with you about Coldplay though...Chris Martin wishes to God every night that he was Thom Yorke.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think the whole Radiohead/Coldplay debate stems from the fact that both bands have somewhat of a "spacey" feel to their music. I do get a sort of Fake Plastic Trees feel when I listen to Coldplay (this is a good thing). That being said, Coldplay DOES have it's own sound and I really like both bands. If Chris Martain didn't LOOK so much like Thom, maybe that would quiet the critics. Their stage setup is almost identical to Radioheads.

I have this theory that 1 song on every Radiohead album gives you a hint of what the next album will sound like. See if you agree:

You ---> The Bends
    Street Spirit (Fade Out) ---> OK Computer
    Fitter Happier ---> Kid A
    National Anthem ---> Amnesiac

I don't know, maybe that's a little weird but I wonder which song from Amnesiac will lead to Hail. Hopefully it'll be I Might Be Wrong. :cool:

The show at the Woodlands was amazing. I didn't really dig Kid A or Amnesiac that much until that show. National Anthem was a great way to start it. Watching Thom going into convultions and Johnny's characteristic head bob with the bangs hanging in his face...sweet show!

16. underoverup

underoverup Member

The crowd was great also which the band seemed to really appreciate. I lost my bootleg of that show though :(
    I remember having to be slathered in insect repellent because that tropical storm had flooded everything and the mosquitoes would carry you off----I lost two friends that night, the mosquitoes took them off to their layer :D

I never really got into Coldplay (didn't like their singles) can anyone recommend a couple of really good songs to download and sample? thanks.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

oh, the expertise of the resident Radiohead fan.

speak to me oh wise one, tell me how Radiohead and Coldplay sound NOTHING alike.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What's your favorite Radiohead song people? I'm kind of torn, so I'll go with Bones for my favorite older Radiohead song and Optimistic for more recent Radiohead.

Anybody who says Coldplay sounds like Radiohead is on crack. If you listened to both, you'd know. I mean, just because they are both unbelievably awesome bands doesn't mean they are the same.

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Its kind of hard to pick one but I will give it a shot

Old - Fade Out
    New - Everything in its right place
    and True Love Awaits

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The vocal stylings of Yorke and ColdplaySinger are very similar. However, other than that I only think Coldplay's actual music can be compared to Pablo Honey and to a lesser extent, the Bends. Everything from OK Computer on sounds nothing like Coldplay in my honest opinion. Unless of course Coldplay has some non-generic sounding releases I'm not aware of.

#20 DCkid, May 31, 2003
    Last edited: May 31, 2003