1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question on UCONN and TEXAS players NBA stock

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by fa7999, Mar 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Can someone please comment on why Aldridge and Gay are considered the top 2 candidates in this draft pick?

And also are Boone, Williams, Armstrong from Uconn that good so that they will have 4 1st rounder this year?

Finally does anyone feel that Daniel Gibson sucks and should not be a first rounder?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aldridge and Gay are young and both can be incredible at times. I don't know if they are top 2, but should both be perenial starters in the NBA.

Aldridge and Tucker really don't fit well together. Tucker is the kind of player that can really be effective against college players without much help. Aldridge depends on proper spacing, but Tucker's play causes defenses to collapse in instead of stretch defense.

Gay is on a really good team and he sometimes gets lost.

Gibson doesn't suck, but he really needs more work to be 1st round much less in the NBA.

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

1) Both physical freaks with the complete package of skills. Both are young and on deep teams, so their stats are not as high as most would like. Both unselfish players with small egos.

2) Yes, Boone is a solid big man who hustles and passes well. Armstrong is a shot-blocking machine that will be Steven Hunter with better hands and a jumpshot at worst. Marcus Williams is the best passer to come out in years and has solid size, though laptopgate hurt his stock.

3) He should stay in college, but he definitely has talent.

4. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

daniel gibson (and darius washington to a lesser extent) are hurt by stephon marbury and steve francis. nba teams can't get far enough from "point guards" like them.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Basically what they've said ^^. Both are very young and talented players. They are still a little raw IMO but have improved quite a bit since last season.

LaMarcus has the length and has a nice touch around the basket. He's got a decent mid-range jumper, he could be really good if he can hit in consistently. Definitely needs to add some muscle though. I think he'll be a pretty good player in the NBA.

Gay is a question mark IMO. He's got the size and athleticism but not much more than that. He's not a very good shooter and turns it over more than he gets assists. His potential is through the roof though. Shawn Marion wasn't a good shooter when he came in the league either.

6. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Aldridge seems to have the tools and length to be a great shotblocker and pretty good post player. He has good touch too. It seems like he will be great prospect/ project. Everytime I see him, I am baffled as to why he doesn't dominate the game more. The three A&M games I watched closely, he would scare the crap out of me because i thought he would dominate us, but it just was not the case. He would make some great play and then that it. He seemed to always get dominated by Joseph Jone. Even with that I would love to get aldridge on the rockets, i like him as a pro.

On Gibson, I have seen him like 5 times this year. He doesn't really stand out to me. He has flahes of explosiveness but seems turnover prone. He has a pretty good jumper. He doesn't seem to be getting better. I like his defense. He needs more college for sure.

7. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I've alsways wondered why a top-3 pick at Power Forward doesn't even lead his own college team in rebounding. Scoring, I tend to understand a bit more, but PJ Tucker shouldn't be outrebounding him.

I think Aldridge is definitely a work in progress if he goes to the NBA. He could use another year in college, but I wouldn't blame for leaving if he's a top-3 pick.

Gibson has a whole lot of work to do. He should not be a first round pick as of right now. He's a SG in a PG body and has to learn some legitimate PG skills to get to the NBA, I think.

8. waran007

waran007 Member

I think Williams on UConn is the best passer to come out in several years, only TJ Ford had his passing ability since 2000. As as been mentioned, the laptop thing is the big negative against him. At 6-3, with that passing and strength, some pundits like Billy Packer say he reminds them of Jason Kidd with better shooting and much, much less defense at that age.

Personally, I would take him after the lottery without hesitation. If he didn't have off-the-court problems, I'd say he could be top 6 to top 9. He thrives with better teammates. Sometimes his abilities and vision are beyond his current team, which has 5-6 future NBA players and that says a lot. If they caught all his feeds and finished them at an NBA rate, he'd have around 11 assists a game in the 40 minute college format (he currently gets almost 9).