1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about a basketball call (pick up)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by amaru, Jun 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. amaru

amaru Member

I dove for a loose ball today and while securing it I hit the floor landing on my back facing up. (Don't ask me how that happened) A defender stood over me swiping at the ball so naturally I was moving the ball around to avoid the strip. (At this point my back was slightly off the ground) An open teammate appeared behind me so I streched all the way out on the floor (the whole time with my legs and butt firmly planted to the ground) and passed him the ball.

An opponent called travel and I called BS. I told him that the official rules state that a player cannot gain an advantage by sliding, not that a slide is automatically a travel. He responded that the player on the group is not allowed to move whatsoever or it is a travel.....I don't see how you could do that since any pass requires movement

Being the obsessive person I am, I looked up the rule when I got home and all I found was:

" A player, who falls to the floor while holding the ball or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding on the floor."

http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html

What say you clutch fans, did I travel or was it just a play on?

2. jae713

jae713 Member

I thought that it was travel only when you get up off the floor. How can you tell where your pivot is if your ass is on the ground.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

Doesn't seem like a travel to me, unless you didn't realize that you rolled over on your side while you were being groped by a defender. Perhaps the guy you were playing with is just a douche bag.

And who dives for loose balls in pickup games?

4. amaru

amaru Member

It was a close game and I was into it....alot of trash talk was exchanged. Normally I stay on my feet lol.

5. Classic

Classic Member

Unless it's an obvious travel, no way I'd call it. From your description, doesn't sound like an 'obvious' so I'd think for pick up game, you don't call it

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Lol. The same guys who take charges.

1 person likes this.
  7. Damion Laverne

I say "play on."

8. amaru

amaru Member

LOL thats a little extreme. But I will call a hook or a stiff arm on a drive.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Hustlers do, some people don't like to lose. It is why I am in a ridiculous amount of pain right now. Drove in the lane and someone stepped on my feet making me stumble and kind of hyper-extend my back, then while chasing down a long rebound I dove and landed on my hip.

Seriously, I can not sit, stand, or do any other position except curl up in a fetal position and try not to move.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

you should have gotten a technical for arguing the travel call.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You don't call lane violations in pickup games, shouldn't be calling weird travels like this. Also I imagine any defensive swatting while you're on the ground could be interpreted as a foul or something.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Incorrect, sir. I take charges, or more accurately flop on defense. But I never dive for a loose ball. Don't want to get hurt.

13. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Just bearhug the rock while you're on the floor and it's yours. No one would be able to pry it from you.

You sound like a Ryan Bowen type player. Don't ever come out to any future CF pickup games. I will shatter your ankles.

14. conquistador#11

Gawd! You should have just called an imaginary 20 second time out!

15. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Ima hustla. You didn't do anything wrong.

16. JD88

JD88 Member

If you dive for the ball, you cannot slide, nor can you move from your spot on the floor. You also cannot stand back up. However, you are free, as long as your ass remains stationary, to move your arms, legs, back, head, feet, whatever.

That was not a travel, and he is dumb.

17. amaru

amaru Member

Shane Battier type player. I make timely 3s, play good defense and do all the little things.

18. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This.

And good job; good effort (I'd never play against you tho :p).

19. amaru

amaru Member

Why not lol?

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

LOL People tend to get hurt or injure others, while getting paid jack squat, playing pick up games like a Shane Battier. For example:

That is, with all due respect. ;)