1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Puck Drops Tonight for NHL Regular Season

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by weslinder, Oct 6, 2011.

1. weslinder

weslinder Member

Flyers at Bruins and Penguins at Canucks are on Versus.
    Canadiens at Maple Leafs on some Canadian network.

With the NBA gone, I'm going to make an effort to become a hockey fan. Last year was the first time I had watched the Stanley Cup Playoffs in earnest, and I think I like it better than the NBA Playoffs. This year, I'm going to see if the Regular Season does it for me, too.

2. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Pittsburgh Penguins baby! Hopefully Syd the kid and Malkin can both come back healthy. Should be a fun year regardless!

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

me too. i followed it closely enough to know who was in the playoff hunt and what not, but i need to really start focusing on individual players and get a better idea of strategy/tactics. it's such a foreign sport to me, but it really appeals to me for some reason. a buddy of mine who's from michigan is getting center ice this season, so i should be able to get some knowledge in.

i'm picking the sharks as my team (since I WILL live in the bay area one day), but will follow the wild as well since they're the aeros affiliate.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Member

I let my 11 year old pick...he said we should be Wild fans because of the connection to the Aeros...so there you have it.

Looking forward to going to more Aeros games.

6. weslinder

weslinder Member

I cheered for the Flames when I lived briefly in Calgary, but I'm not getting Center Ice to watch them, and they won't have but maybe 1 or 2 games on Versus. Maybe a team will stand out for me, and I'll be a fan.

7. Kam

Kam Member

I like hockey back in the day, back in the 90s. I could name off players with ease like it was nothing. Now I have a bit of trouble.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

The Blues are gonna come back this season! No doubt about that.

Damn, I can't even joke about that, sigh. Another bad season most likely in store for a St.Louis team not named the Cardinals.
    Sigh!

Hopefully the Canucks can overcome the Stanley Cup loss and make a swift return to finally return the Stanley Cup to Canada.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

That 24/7 version of the Winter Classic was AWESOME!
    We kinda get the jist of what goes on behind the scenes in the NFL and NBA but it was awesome to get to see the Hockey side of things. Great job as always by HBO and hopefully the Pens get Syd and Evgeni to return and stay healthy and hopefully for Ovechkin and Leonsis' sake, the Capitals actually get to the Stanley Cup.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

before the lockout. before they lost ESPN TV deal. being relegated to Versus really hurt them in terms of awareness around the country; particularly in non-NHL markets.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Things are looking interesting for the Wild with a VERY unproven coach and two big-name forwards in Heatley and Setoguchi. I was a fan 2002-2008 for the same reason.

When my folks moved to Phoenix I had a reason to get attached to the Coyotes. Now they're my team (and by far the team I've watched the most live).

I was so stoked about NHL season starting today that I skipped classes to go play a pickup game this morning at the rink.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Boo. Never liked them. Ruutu, Cooke, Bertuzzi, Burrows, Mitchell... uggh. They've been a whiny team in the last 5 years.

I wanted to see Naslund have success, but now that he's gone there is nothing keeping me from hating the Nucks.

13. weslinder

weslinder Member

14. weslinder

weslinder Member

Well, Jaromír Jágr just assisted on the second goal scored in the NHL season. That's straight out of 1995.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Go Flyguys!!! Good win tonight!

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm going to do all I can to get into hockey this season as well. I love watching hockey live, but I've struggled to get into televised hockey. I'm hoping to change that this season.

I'm looking for "my team" as well. It's much easier to get into a sport when you have a rooting interest. I'm down to the Blues or the Wild. I'm interested in the Wild because of the Aeros connection. I'm considering the Blues because my family lives in the St. Louis area and I have a soft spot for teams from that city.

17. Kam

Kam Member

Damn.

Didn't catch it. Wonder if he still has a perm.

Back in the day, in the early 90s, the Pens were my team because everyone wanted to be a Gretzky fan with the Kings. They knew Gretzky from this.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/px5njG8ikvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had to be different so I became a fan of Lemieux and the Pens and Jagr.

During the late 90s, my allegiance changed to the Red Wings, and they've kinda been "my team" since then.

edit.

can't forget about good ol Ron Francis.

#17 Kam, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011