1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Proof Family Guy Steals From The Simpsons?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, May 7, 2007.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You be the judge.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZnNsbtsUV0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZnNsbtsUV0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Any shows that have so many similarities in pretext are bound to bump into one another via gags and jokes once in a while.

In both contexts these bits are funny and seem original... copying storylines is another thing..

3. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qlaU7QIQtg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qlaU7QIQtg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Didn't the Simpsons recently rip-off South Park in that episode where Marge plays that WoW type game with Bart?

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This issue has already been addressed in an episode of Southpark entitled "The Simpsons already did it"

I've always thought of FG as more of a mature Simpsons anyway.

Think about the characters.

The Dad is fat and stupid, the mom has an annoying voice, the brother and sister are the same age, the 1 year old baby.

Funny is funny I suppose.

6. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

All of those scenes are taken completely out of context. When you're writing hundreds of episodes, you're bound to have some overlap in jokes. It's like saying The Illusionist and The Prestige are ripoffs of each other because they both have something to do with magic, and contain a sort of "conspiratorial" writing style with some sort of twist ending.

Family Guy since the very beginning has always been a series of seemingly random jokes that are usually really subtle references to pop culture. They spend half of each episode on unrelated anecdotal references. If you don't think so, watch an episode and count how many times they say, "You remember that time when you...." or "just like that time we were..." etc. There's very little continuity between episodes.

The Simpsons on the other hand has always focused more on episodic plotlines and the characters themselves. Most of the humor comes from the plot itself and situations associated with the plot, not from unrelated references.

They're completely different shows if you ask me.

#6 Kyrodis, May 7, 2007
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

this has been posted before....

nothing can get with season 1-10 of the simpsons

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yea Family guy steals from The Simpsons, wanna fight about it?

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Wow shocking! ;)

I saw an interview with the creator of Family Guy (I forgot his name for the moment) and he said he and Matt Groening are good friends and they borrow from each other.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Simpson's Did it!!"

Rocket RIver

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

At this point, everything has copied the Simpsons cause its been on for like 20 years.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The only ones I consider blatant stealing are:

1. The dog-track sequence because that's a classic Simpsons gag.
    2. The Vagina coast guard line, because it's just too on the nose. What are the chances that both of them would use vagina coast guard instead of any other branch of the military.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

25% chance ;)

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Just so we're clear, SNL stole from Family Guy on that one.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am sure if you keep looking for little things you could do that with most any shows, the simpsons have covered so many topics and areas that it would be hard not to come up with something they haven't done. hence the satirical south park episode from a few years back.

one thing i will say about family guy i am slowly starting to turn away from the show. that whole 10 minutes (or seemingly 10) scene with the chicken this past week was horrible it was as if they needed some filler to make the time limit. the first time was funny because it was so strange, but now its just bad and i thought it would be over and it still kept going. i had forgotten what the dang episode was about by the time they returned back to the original storyline.

american dad on the otherhand has been getting better imo

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The South Park WoW episode was way better.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I like Family Guy more anyway.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Joe Rogan should crash Family Guy's standup and tell it how it is.

19. AXG

AXG Member

Yeah, the early Simpsons shows were classics. The newer stuff is okay, but a lot of the jokes are getting repetitive.

20. DreamRoxCoogFan

As was said in southpark-
    "SIMPSONS DID IT!SIMPSONS DID IT!SIMPSONS DID IT!"