1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Profondo Rosso's Succinct Movie Journal Extravaganza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Profondo Rosso, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Profondo Rosso

[​IMG]

The Last Posse (1953)

Dir: Alfred L. Wreker

3 outlaws rob a bank in a quiet little western town.A posse is formed in order to get the robbers and bring back the money. the town's sheriff, played by Broderick Crawford, is a beaten down man who represents the older morals of the west. He joins a posse mostly because he think they might have other plans in mind

this is a pretty low budget affair, but director Werker who directed the fantastic film noir He Walked By Night 5 years earlier certainly doesn't make it show. the best aspect in the film is how grim it is. no humor and no obvious happy ending.

Broderick Crawford was pretty good but this is not the best I've seen from him. A young John Derek is also present.

overall

7/10

Xerobull likes this.
  2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

There's an idea, start a thread on every movie rating.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

4. Profondo Rosso

well I noticed there's a Curse Of Chucky thread and some others, so I thought it won't be a big deal.
    But if it is i'll shut it down. no problem (-:

5. VanityHalfBlack

Are you looking for a movie discussion? I haven't seen this movie so I will watch it on your behalf then come back and we'll talk. There's some old movies I'd like to discuss with the community too instead of rating it so I"ll just post it here thanks to Profondo Rosso.

6. Profondo Rosso

Yeah for sure. I'd love to discuss old movies here. I totally meant this thread to be a discussion, and not just a place for me to rate movies (-:

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Good Ole Proctor and Gamble.

9. Profondo Rosso

[​IMG]

The Other Dream Team (2012)

Dir: Marius A. Markevicius

One of the best sports documentaries iv'e seen in years and certainly on par with Hoop Dreams. It tells the story of basketball and its meaning to Lithuanians mostly through the eyes of the 4 Lithuanian players who suffered greatly from the Russian occupation before being liberated. 2 of those players are Arvydas Sabonis (amazingly funny man!) and Sarunas Marciulionis. The film is incredibly moving and hilarious at the same time and i'm %100 sure every basketball fan will enjoy at least one aspect of this film, the contagious unexplained love for the game.

10/10

After the movie there was a Q&A with Marciulionis and another former player Sergejus Jovaisa. Obviously Marciulionis drew most of the attention and he was incredibly humble, smart and downright cool. He even started folding the chairs himself once the Q&A was over.

I also Snagged a pic with him and Jovaisa in the end.

[​IMG]

10. Profondo Rosso

[​IMG]

Crawlspace (1986)

Dir: David Schmoeller

The deliciously demented Klaus Kinski plays a an ex nazi surgeon who rents apartments in his building to young women so he could kill them in various ways using traps he plants all around.
    This may sound pretty good but aside from the brilliant Kinski this movie has very little going for it. the script it quite poor and the kills are not gory enough.

5/10

11. Profondo Rosso

[​IMG]

Hunger (2009)

Dir:Steven Hentges

5 people wake up and realize they've been kidnapped and placed inside a well with enough water to last for at least 30 days. But eventually they're gonna be hungry, so as expected, cannibalism takes the front seat... The idea is hardly original but I guess it's pretty decent. The execution however is dull and unimaginative.

4/10

12. VanityHalfBlack

Is the last posse on netflix? It be so much easier if it was instead I'm scrambling on trying to find it and watch it.

13. Profondo Rosso

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Coca-Cola Kid, 1985. I plug this flick any chance I get, and did in the long-running film thread. Hilarious, and full frontal in a great shower scene with Greta Scacchi in her prime (not the only nude scene, either). One of Eric Robert's best roles, just because he's so perfectly cast. A romantic comedy made in Australia, and directed by the excellent DuĊĦan Makavejev, who also directed Montenegro.

Actually, rather hard to describe. See it.

[​IMG]

15. Profondo Rosso

I love Coca-Cola Kid. A great film and a forgotten one sadly. I first encountered crazy Makavejev when I saw the shocking Sweet Movie. I'll never forget 2 scenes. one where there's a contest to to crown the world's prettiest vagina, and the dinner scene where they all take massive dumps on the table (-:

16. Profondo Rosso

Has anybody seen The Toy? the 1982 film with Richard Pryor and Jackie Gleason and directed by Richard Donner.
    I had never heard of this film up until now, but the plot synopsis just seemed so crazy to me. A Millionaire purchases a black man as a toy for his spoiled kid.

[​IMG]

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Though it doesn't have a high IMDB rating, it's a classic movie in my opinion and a movie all parents should see with their kids. I rank it up there with Brewster's Millions.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Never much cared for The Toy but loved Brewster's Millions, saw it recently actually and still enjoyed it.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I only have one thing to say to you.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KtRHBkLnZfY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  20. Profondo Rosso

[​IMG]

The Blood Of Jesus (1941)

Dir: Spencer Williams

An american race film with an all black cast & crew. an atheist accidentally shoots his wife and while she's on her death bed she finds herself being tricked by satan who want her to choose hell over zion (heaven). Aside for the historical significance, the movie is almost childishly simple in its concepts and ideas about religion. But anyway it's a very interesting piece of history.
    Spencer Williams who wrote, directed, produced and star in it, is sadly mostly remembered for his uncle tom-ish character on Amos and Andrew.

6/10