1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Primerica Financial Services Business Opportunity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

Hey guys. Recently I was approached at work by a recruiter saying he likes how I interact with people. He told he was looking fir sharp people. He told me that his company is all about helping people get out of debt and offering solutions to live better lives.

I gave him my contact information and told me that one of his co-workers would contact me soon.

The next day they called and I set up an appointment. I went to their office and immediately I was shown a presentation of the company telling me about the rule of 72. The company is primerica financial services. I'd be representing them independently. Selling insurance, loans, auto, mortgage, mutual funds, investments. Basically they are saying I can be a regional vice president in as little as 12 to 18 months.

Here is the fishy part. They want 99 dollars to start. That pays the background check and the tuition for the licensing classes.

They also wanted references. Of those references only one or two questions were asked about me and then they tried to recruit them.

Anyone know if primerica is a scam? Anyone done any business with them? They are owned by citi so to me that makes it sound like a legit organization.

What do you guys think.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pyramid scheme. Never trust a business that makes you pay them to get a job.

3. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a pyramid scheme. You should start worrying when people make you pay before you start working for them.

4. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dang, beat me to the punch. :)

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

They have been around for years and they are legit. It is a pyramid scheme and you should for the most part avoid it. The upfront costs are legit (if they do a background check) and its no difference with any other employer...except they are passing that cost to you.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Kill them.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sounds like you are going to pay $90 for the right to work a straight-commission cold-calling job.

No thanks.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yeah man, don't bother paying them for the "opportunity" to work for them . I think the question has been asked a number of times on here about Primerica. If you google Primerica and pyramid scheme you'll get your answer.

10. Fatty FatBastard

Lol. Why were they teaching you the rule of 72? Education purposes?

11. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

It's a pyramid scam for sure. $99 to start? RED LIGHT!

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

13. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

pyramid scheme.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Kramerica Industries is more legitimate than this.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

Its legit, but its not for everybody. I tried it for a while but its not my field. I did learn a lot about what insurance companies can do to screw you over, so I'm thankful for that education. That and how to wisely invest as well.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'd rather work at Burger King.

17. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

tell us more!

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's slightly less than the $500 First Investors Corp asked me for licensing for their branch management position. The best part was when the recruiter told me on the phone it wasn't a sales position, then his boss told me in the interview that it was commission-based. Granted the $500 was for Series 7 and 63 training, and it was actually a completely legitimate broker's position, not quasi-pyramid scheme I think Primerica is.

The funny thing is, it's probably the most (or only) profitable segment of Citigroup right now.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HoX8goAROOw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HoX8goAROOw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Very glad this skipped ahead to the funniest part.