1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Preseason game: Pistons Vs. Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by abc2007, Oct 5, 2010.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Live on NBA TV at 7:30 pm ET tonight. Miami big 3 debut Vs. Piston Tmac debut

http://twitter.com/WallaceNBAHeat
    "Heat coach Erik Spoelstra confirms starters for tonight's game are PG Arroyo, SG Wade, SF LeBron, PF Bosh and C Anthony. "

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And so it begins.

3. amaru

amaru Member

Most watched preseason game ever?

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

All the Heat haters, would this be the one game you cheer for the Heat? Since they're playing against Clutchfans's all-time fan favorite player, T-Mac? :grin:

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i wonder what approach the big three will take...are they going to come out full speed, at least to begin the game? Will they hold back? I think they're itching to show off their game, but maybe doing it this early would be giving in to the pressure.

6. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

I predict T-Mac will impose his will on this game and as a result, lose the game for his team.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Sharing ball -- not scoring -- top task for Heat's star trio
    http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/10/04/heat.chemistry/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

MIAMI -- Tonight we get to see how three players, all firmly among the NBA scoring leaders at their positions the last few years, demonstrate the fine art of ... looking for each other.

See LeBron shoot? No, it's more like see LeBron James dump inside to Chris Bosh and find a cutting Dwyane Wade. For sure, the Heat can't embark on an earnest championship journey if those three don't score plenty and score often. But just the same, this won't work without sacrifice, the buzzword of training camp.

"That's the same message that was lost this summer, when this team came together," said coach Erik Spoelstra. "It was strange to us because you would think in today's time in sports, a team assembled like this would be celebrated. Guys willing to sacrifice not only financially but to give up statistically, and how they are judged. To give up all that in order to get something bigger than themselves, and to be part of something special.

"But that's not what happened. So all we can do is continue to embrace the concept of sacrifice, which is what brought us together in the first place."

Any resentment or frustration from not being "celebrated" will be taken out on the other team, and that includes the pre-season, which opens with the Pistons. The "us-against-them" mentality that consumes the organization is bonding the players and fueling their resolve. Whether that results in a championship for the Best Team On Paper will have to wait. It will, however, encourage them to show unity by passing the ball and checking their egos at the parking lot. At least that's the company line, anyway, here in early October.

There are a few good reasons to suspect LeBron, Bosh and Wade will give it up freely and willingly:

1. Being selfish with the ball is not in their DNA. LeBron is the most generous big-time scorer since Rick Barry. How many players can score 30 on any given night and be viewed as a pass-first guy? He averaged 8.6 assists a game in Cleveland last season (6th in the NBA), and seven for his career. And he rang up those assists by deferring to players who ween't scorers. Wade is much the same, finishing 10th in the league at 6.5, mainly because he doubles as a point guard. Bosh was a finisher all those years in Toronto but has the skills to pass from the double team.

"We're alike, in that regard," said Wade.

2. They know sharing equals wins. LeBron averaged 30 or more points twice in his career. Wade hit 33 last season. Bosh carried the Raptors offensively. But they appear ready for change. They're not young players looking for scoring titles and a name for themselves anymore. They've been there are done that.

"They put a great deal of thought into their free agency and would not have made a move like this if they were worried about things like that," said Spoelstra.

3. They respect each other. Normally, when there's a degree of disrespect or lack of confidence in a teammate, the ball doesn't move very much. But LeBron will give it up to Wade, and Wade to Bosh, and vice-versa, and none of the players will regret their decision because they know whom they're passing to.

"We came to play as a team," said Bosh. "People talk about individualism too much. We're all good players, but we're all going to play together."

It also helps that Wade, Bosh and LeBron were all on Team USA and bonded from that experience, where there was no specific pecking order or star system. This Miami season will seem like a scaled-down version (or 3-man version) of those Olympic teams.

They also know they'll be matchup hell for most teams, and can take advantage of that only by passing the ball. LeBron and Wade are used to being double-teamed; now, when that happens, somebody will be open. And if teams decide to play those two straight-up, with no help, that's the time for isolation plays. The Heat will cause teams to rewrite gameplans on the fly.

It's not a stretch to envision LeBron making a serious run at leading the league in assists, and Bosh getting plenty of easy looks from 10 feet in, and Wade spending half his time at point guard.

"And that means a point guard's going to have to guard him, too?" said LeBron.

"Exactly," said Wade.

"Aw, man," said LeBron. "That's tough."

The soft spots on the Heat are obvious. They don't have a center to handle Dwight Howard, or any other elite post player; Bosh is really at power forward and his game more finesse. Plus, depth could be a real issue if any of the Big Three get injured.

But they don't think sacrifice will be an issue. By agreeing to play on the same team, they already made sacrifice a priority. Now we'll see how much and how well that translates on the floor.

"If ego was going to be a problem," said Wade, "we wouldn't be wearing the same jersey."

8. BLAM

BLAM Member

I'll be cheering for T-Mac!

1 person likes this.
  9. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I am more interested in their pecking order. I bet James will be introduced first, Bosh the third, and Wade will be the last.

10. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Not a chance i would ever root for the Heat. :mad:

I am rooting for T mac i hope he does well this year.

1 person likes this.
  11. VBG

VBG Member

Let's go T-MACCCCC.

It would be so epic if there were more T-Mac than Miami Heat comments in this thread.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Not sure whether Tmac will start.

http://twitter.com/detroitpistons
    "Kuester still not revealing starting lineup: "Practices have been so competieive, I’m not sure if anybody knows who is going to start." "

13. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

All three go down for the season.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

will probably record the first half to see how the "3" do, but honestly i am more interested in seeing McGrady play and how well he plays. at this point i just would like to see him do well hating on him at this point doesnt do the rockets any good.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I dont care who the Heat plays, I will root for whoever they are playing and hope for one of the three to go down for the season

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Wooo Go hard T-MAC!!!

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd rather the 3 stay completely healthy AND they suck. That would be comedy at it's finest.

18. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Tmac to the rack! :p

19. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

T-MAC!
    T-MAC!
    T-MAC!
    T-MAC!
    T-MAC!
    T-MAC!

20. GlenRice